Thread: Millions of taxpayer dollars spent to 'reward' electricity staff and clients

vCash

Millions of taxpayer dollars spent to 'reward' electricity staff and clients

Western Power was among the state-owned energy utilities which spent $1.5 million on entertainment during the last financial year. WA's state-owned energy utilities spent $1.5 million on entertainment during the last financial year, documents tabled in parliament show.

The largest of the four companies, Western Power, spent $660,500 wining and dining, as well as rewarding staff and providing recreational activities. That was at least $100,000 more than last year.

Electricity retailer Synergy dished out $17,000 worth of staff rewards and paid for $266,000-worth of meals and entertainment enjoyed by both staff and clients, while corporate boxes at AFL and Western Force games consumed $170,000 of the budget. The total was slightly more than last year.

....On top of the expensive hand outs, the companies are liable for Fringe Benefits Tax of almost the same value, effectively doubling the bill.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/mi...#ixzz20CSuoacq

Full story here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No doubt there is some elaborate reasoning, but it is beyond me why a state owned utility would be in a position of having to pay any type of tax?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    i have no problem with this .. considering the storm damage they had to fix a few weeks ago in the time they did, I'm quite ok with them rewarding their staff!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    i have no problem with this .. considering the storm damage they had to fix a few weeks ago in the time they did, I'm quite ok with them rewarding their staff!!!
    Yep, absolutely.

What annoys me is why they need to schmooze clients when they've got no competition... The split of the verticle monopoly did nothing for consumers... but it's been great for con$ultants and still is..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Yep, absolutely.

What annoys me is why they need to schmooze clients when they've got no competition... The split of the verticle monopoly did nothing for consumers... but it's been great for consultants and still is..
    Justified price increases?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tip another half a mill into Force coffers and blame it on Carbon tax..that'll do me

vCash
    Ala Brumbies

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Tip another half a mill into Force coffers and blame it on Carbon tax..that'll do me

deadset

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    No doubt there is some elaborate reasoning, but it is beyond me why a state owned utility would be in a position of having to pay any type of tax?
    Its True. Just like a Federal Government Department pays their own Power Bill.

A State Department will pay a Federal Tax. and a Federal Department will pay a state "duty"

but a Federal Department will never pay (in the old days Sales Tax or fuels excise) or GST these days.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Its True. Just like a Federal Government Department pays their own Power Bill.

A State Department will pay a Federal Tax. and a Federal Department will pay a state "duty"

but a Federal Department will never pay (in the old days Sales Tax or fuels excise) or GST these days.
    How would you know?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David