Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FORCE 24-MAN SQUAD NAMED FOR NEW ZEALAND

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE 24-MAN SQUAD NAMED FOR NEW ZEALAND

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 3 July 2012

The Emirates Western Force has named their 24-man squad to travel to New Zealand to contest their final two FxPro Super Rugby matches against the Blues in Auckland and the Crusaders in Christchurch.

The squad will travel without captain and flanker David Pocock, who has been ruled out of the final two matches after succumbing to a groin strain incurred during his side’s match against the Brumbies on Saturday night.

Nathan Sharpe, who farewelled his home crowd on Saturday, will lead the squad in Pocock’s absence and will finish his West Australian provincial career as he started it, as captain of the Emirates Western Force.

No.8 Matt Hodgson will also miss the two-match New Zealand tour after damaging ligaments in his ankle against the Brumbies.

The vacancies in the back row provides an opportunity for rising star Angus Cottrell to return to the 22-man squad for the sixth time this season, while Palmyra back-rower and last year’s PG Hampshire Medallist, Anare Koliavu has also been called into the squad. The 29-year-old former Bankwest Rugby Academy member previously represented the Fijian development team, the Fiji Warriors against the NSW Waratahs and Melbourne Rebels in 2011.

GPS tighthead prop Ruan Smith and Sydney University lock Oliver Atkins, who were both inclusions for the Emirates Western Force side that fronted the Brumbies, will remain with the squad and will chase their FxPro Super Rugby debuts across the Tasman, while former Australian Under 20 front-rowers Tetera Faulkner and Ben Whittaker have also been named.

The Emirates Western Force has retained Saturday night’s starting backline for the tour, while young flyhalf Kyle Godwin will be in line to receive his first cap since returning from the IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa with the Australian Under 20 side.

Former Blues inside centre Winston Stanley has also been included and will be seeking to play his first match against his former club, where his brother Benson is still contracted, since joining the Emirates Western Force this season.

Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach Phil Blake says his side will be looking to put its injury toll to one side and finish the season on a winning note.

“It’s certainly not ideal but rugby is a contact sport and it’s the nature of the game that you will pick up injuries,” he said. “We’re certainly not on our own on that front but we won’t be using it as an excuse for anything less than a winning performance on Saturday night.

“We’re very confident in the guys we’ve brought in and we know they’ll help us get the job done. Most of them have had experience playing at this level or against similar opposition and, for those guys not regularly in the squad, this is a great opportunity for them to show us and others what they can do in the final two matches of the season.”

The Emirates Western Force’s will play the Blues in Auckland (7 July) and Crusaders in Christchurch (14 July).

Emirates Western Force squad for New Zealand
    Oliver Atkins, Richard Brown, Nathan Charles, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan, Nick Cummins, Patrick Dellit, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Josh Holmes, Anare Koliavu, Toby Lynn, Alfie Mafi, Salesi Manu, Lachlan McCaffrey, Napolioni Nalaga, Ben Seymour, Nathan Sharpe, Brett Sheehan, Rory Sidey, Ruan Smith, Winston Stanley, Will Tupou, Ben Whittaker.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Without doing any research I would guess only 6 or 7 players with 50+ caps

After research, five only!

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 03-07-12 at 15:00.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good news seeing Gowin there and great work Anare long over due!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    The Blues will be shitting themselves, when you play a team of unknowns like that you're on a hiding to nothing. Everybody will expect you to win in a cricket score but there is virtually no opportunity to do any research and prepare for what you might face. Added to that, the Blues haven't exactly been fantastic at catching the football this year soooooo......

Let's just say I won't be betting on this one unless the odds are AMAZING!

C'mon the

vCash
    Go the lad from Pally!

vCash
    do we persist with holmes and seympur? both equally as bad as each other in last weeks first half.
    would like to see cottrell, brown and mccaffrey as our backrow!!

vCash
    Whats happened to Turner? I thought he was playing club rugger the past month?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Why have they not grabbed the young WA lad Ryan Hodgson to fill the flanker spot - he has already had a successful run with the Rebels and showed that he can play at this level?? Any ideas?

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    do we persist with holmes and seympur? !!
    Definitely. Ben needs game time. He'll come good.

Persist with Holmes because Sheehan might be needed in the backrow.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    So will we even have a full bench for the last game?

They should've really flown over 35~ just to be safe with the way injuries have been going.

vCash
    Back to real underdog status

This is the stuff of legend. Some of the young blokes will put their hand up.

Their time has come

Dead set

Controversy corner

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    So will we even have a full bench for the last game?

They should've really flown over 35~ just to be safe with the way injuries have been going.
    HeyJombi, probably cant take 35 as we wouldn't know 35 players names ?? with majority of the squad INJURED AGAIN.

I ask my TWF family this question:

Name 1 year out of the 7 that we've been in the super rugby competition when we haven't dragged the "left overs" (to put it in a nice way) to fill in for us due to injuries or other comittments. Why isn't someone asking the question "why are we the only team to be hit hard with injures year in year out". maybe 1 or 2 bad years but not upto 7 (same trainer > same conditioning manager >) mmmmmm.

What a RIPPER to see Cottrell back !!! and put Godwin in @ 9, with Shennan on the bench,dont persist with the ole man holmes, he wont be here next year, lets start this tour (with a mind set) of 2013 and beyond...

Champion
    vCash
    We did the same last year with Chucky thrown into the #10 jersey and a bunch of "misfits" I remember clearly the "muppets"from the Rugby club gave the us a 20 point head start against the Wellington team, and we came within (what was it) 3 - 5 points ??

Most of Auckland is now Wellington Canes from last year, lets pull a suprise out the bag and give them a touch up,

Without completing any research haven't we only lost Once to Auckland in Auckland ?? With the other two times being in the Harbour and winning on both occasions, lets make it 3 in the north.

Champion
    vCash
    Why have they not grabbed the young WA lad Ryan Hodgson to fill the flanker spot - he has already had a successful run with the Rebels and showed that he can play at this level?? Any ideas?

I think you'll find that's exactly the reason why they havent grabbed him - because he has played for the Rebels. I think there would be an issue in getting the clearance through in time.

vCash
    It's the blues - if our boys can tackle then we'll win.

We have their number on everything, we just need to tackle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast