Thread: Hodgo farewells The Great Man

Champion
    vCash

Hodgo farewells The Great Man

Sharpe has recently stated that he will not shed a tear in his emotional last home game this weekend, but one thing for certain is that some of his teammates, the fans and all those that have been associated with his extensive career will.

After being at the Waratahs for three years, all of which were plagued with injury, I was lucky enough to re-start my super rugby in Perth. With this move marked the beginning of a friendship with one of the most genuine and well known rugby players in the game today.

It was hard to make the move from Sydney across Australia to Perth. It was a place I had only ever visited once and a state were rugby was a niche sport playing second fiddle to AFL. The only people I knew were Brendon Cannon, Scott Fava and Cameron Shepherd. I had certainly heard of Nathan Sharpe but had never met him before. As a young uncapped kid it was quiet unnerving meeting a whole new team, especially the captain Nathan who had achieved so much already at both Super and International level.
    After settling into Perth and completing my first pre-season in the West with the non-Wallaby contingent, it was time for the whole group to come together for the first time. As all the Wallabies entered the camp it was Nathan who made the effort to come over and greet his fellow colleagues for the first time. Most of the group were overcome as these Wallabies and greats of the game were no longer just the players we looked up to, but our team mates. It needed to be a quick mental transition from our heroes to our mates and this was made easier by Nathan and the way in which he conducts himself around the team. Nathan commands respect but he also gives it to everyone who earns it. He is a decent human first and foremost. Nathan gives everything he has to his job, club, fans, mates and family. His generosity and gracious nature makes even the youngest inexperienced kid want to be better in his presence. Nathan is a natural leader who uses his charismatic personality and humour to relate to everyone he meets. He is a great listener and an even better story teller. I hope one day he writes a book for you to all get an insight into the man that I have had the privilege to know off the field. He is a world class rugby play but an even better bloke.

Not only has Nathan been a large influence on the field it is also what he brings off the field that is invaluable to the Force. Every player that has been at the Force has learnt from him. Whether it is Sam Wykes who has already taken over Nathan’s Volvo, his car space and started to walk around the gym practicing his lineout calling (with a swagger); to Poey who has had the privilege to learn the role of captain from him; to Browny and Benny who have been shown how to transition from a country footballer, to Super player, to a Wallaby; to Pek who has learnt that you don’t have to be a great natural athlete to be a great footballer. The most important thing I have learnt from Nathan is to love my job and be grateful for the opportunities our job has given us. Appreciation is shown through your actions not in lip service. It is the hard work in the gym and in training; it is in taking the time to chat to any fan (young or old) who cares enough to want to talk to you; it is always being available for coffee or beer with a team mate in good times and in bad. It is sacrificing for the good of the team, for the joy of rugby. Rugby may only be the first career of our lives, but it is a fortunate career that will keep us smiling as old men long after the arthritis and knee replacements are forgotten.

Nathan has never put himself first, always having the club or teammates interests first. The fitting send-off is finishing the season on a high and so that he leave the west coast with fond memories of his final games they will stay with him forever. We want Nathan to be proud to say that he was a part of this team and I know for sure that he will be trying 100 per cent up until that final siren. I have no doubt that the loyal Sea of Blue will join the team in giving Nathan a standing ovation as he leaves the ground for the final time in a Force jersey.

I am part of a long list of players who have been fortunate to be part of Nathan’s career and we have celebrated many highs and lows as part of the Force. I have ran alongside him for his milestones for the Force: the first game for the Force, playing in his 100th Super cap, 50th Cap for the Force and his 150th Super Cap. Unfortunately none of these past milestones have been celebrated with a victory. So for me the best way we can do Nathan proud in his final home game in Force colours is to WIN for him on Saturday night. As someone who has played alongside him, I will remember Nathan as the greatest player that has ever worn the swan on his back.

http://www.matthodgson.com.au/uncate...leader-always/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice one Hodgo.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I had goosebumps....!!! Blesssss!!!!.....Make that two road train loads of tissues....Bloody Hell...

vCash
    Bloody hell - Hodgo can write, can't he? That article on the overseas players and this one on Sharpie - bodes well for his career after rugby (long in the future may that be!)

vCash
    Yeah - needs an editor for a bit of a tidy-up, but a very good effort. For a forward

Very nice sentiments but - onya Hodgo!

vCash
    Sterling tribute to a sterling man, win or lose tonight we will remember Sharpie for many years to come, and share the sentiments of Hodgson in respect of us fans in the sea of blue.

We will stand before and after in tribute to a great man, a leader of men, a legend in our lifetime.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”