Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WA expected to win NRL licence

vCash

WA expected to win NRL licence

Western Australia is expected to win a licence in an expanded NRL before the end of the year.

The WA Rugby League bid, which will unveil a new logo at a launch on Wednesday, is understood to be central to the new Australian Rugby League Commission plan to expand the competition from as early as 2015.

Mining entrepreneur Tony Sage, who owns Perth Glory in the A-League, has also expressed interest in running a Perth-based NRL franchise.

Expansion is linked to a new NRL TV rights deal, likely to be worth more than $1 billion, which was expected to be locked in by early next month.

But the formation of the new commission and the departure of long-time NRL boss David Gallop has meant that date has been pushed back till early September.

Other bid teams include Papua New Guinea, Central Queensland, Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, Central Coast, and a New Zealand Rugby League-backed Wellington or Christchurch.

WARL CEO John Sackson and bid chairman Richard Campbell had a phone hook-up with NRL interim chief Shane Mattiske and director of league integration and game development Andrew Hill on Thursday.

While he remained tight-lipped on the WARL launch on Wednesday, Sackson said the meeting was "positive" and the NRL "identified WA as a priority development market".

It is understood 2015 is the earliest the NRL will consider expanding its competition.

Sackson has said any new franchise would need 18 months to two years to establish a playing list, culture and membership base before playing its first official game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/n...-1226406648329

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    2015 now. FFS! You'd be forgiven for thinking the WA Government had been appointed to run Rugby League. Meantime the AFL marches on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In some ways I think it is pretty smart, more than Union, League will be able to fan the flames of the old Reds supporters over that time and build a real (I hate this word in this context...) "culture" on the back of poor-bugger-us. I would be running all sorts of fan days to get the members mixing with players and each other to get a real community feel, dare I say it, a bit like the TWF Bowlo/JB's fraternity. When season 2015 roles around you have a beating heart, not just a bunch of rabid individuals like the Force.
    Can't believe I'm talking up something mungo

Oh, and if it is two teams I believe they should support PNG. They live League more than Kiwis live Union! Would be a massive boost for the nation.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I believe they should support PNG. They live League more than Kiwis live Union! Would be a massive boost for the nation.
    Probably the most passionate fans of all. But realistically the business model just isn't there. The best option, and one which will probably come quickly, is a PNG team in the Q Cup. They'd still pack the joint at home fixtures and would be sustainable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    If they go for two teams I think a second Brisbane side will get up. Speaking to people I know in Brisbane they tell me that not all of Brisbane loves the Broncos.

Agree with Shasta that the business case for a PNG side in the NRL may be lacking
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'd say a second Brisbane team would be favourite for the other expansion slot if it happens.

You know rugby league has a chance to tap into the local community better than the Force if rugby is not careful. While rugby is contracting its Academy system to Brisbane and Sydney, a Perth NRL side would have to bolster its team with local players due to the sheer number of teams already in the league that the talent is spread across. Throw in a Toyota Cup side and maybe a NSW Cup side and they could potentially build a very strong grassroots base in WA.

vCash
    They are already doing the groundwork with the SG Ball team. Made up of abt. 90% WA kids too. Sending the likes of Trent Barrett, Mad Dog & Co to WA running coaching clinics is a good move. They scored 40 new juniors in Karratha alone according to reports.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    So this is the Tony Sage, owner of the Perth Glory, who wanted to take the council to court over scheduling the NiB expansion during the soccer season, who wants a new NRL club in Perth.

Where are you planning on playing, Tony?

vCash
    Bit irrelevent at this stage given the WARL are the sole owners of the bid

Not to mention Sage was trying to get the ground at a cheaper rate for the coming season given they pay $100,000 a game

vCash
    I think there are two Bids ATM. WARL has 1. Benny Elias & Sage another. Hopefully they can somehow work with the WARL in some kind of partnership.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Benny's been spreading misinformation in the media (including on the Nine NRL broadcasts) that there is only one bid now but that is not the case.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    What is the ARU doing over here to offset the potential loss of Force members to their direct competion???

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Would have thought that would be a job for the Force membership department to keep the members?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    What is the ARU doing over here to offset the potential loss of Force members to their direct competion???
    Planning to move the franchise to the gold coast 'where it should be'

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Meanwhile back on planet Earth (GIGS), nothing that I've heard of...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast