Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Norton-Knight to join Force

vCash

Norton-Knight to join Force

The Western Force will today announce the signing of former Wallaby Sam Norton-Knight.

The twice-capped 28-year-old, who plays either fly-half or full-back, has been playing in Japan with Sanyo Wild Knights after previous Super Rugby spells with the Brumbies, Waratahs and a season in Wales with the Cardiff Blues.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...to-join-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Oh great just what we need!
    That is not a great signing.

May the FORCE be with you!

Rookie
    vCash
    By memory, he is not bad and might be good considering nalaga would not be here? (Is he on 1 year or 2 years contract??)

vCash
    Top of the flops....

Norton-Knight had spent most of his career in his native Australia playing full back, but signed as a fly half (where he started his only start with the Wallabies once) when he arrived he emphasised how keen he was to play 10 saying "My skills as a footballer probably suit the 10 position more than the 15 position. I left the Waratahs out of frustration that I wasn't given a lot of opportunities there. So I do want to play 10 for the Blues. After 2007, there was a hole in the squad at full back and I guess I reluctantly played there, but I think I've always seen myself as a 10".

Unfortunately for him this statement was just plain wrong, after his first match he was dreadful against Edinburgh and the side lost and Norton-Knight came under particular fire. Performances didn't pick up and the Cardiff Blues at the turn of the year found themselves 8th in the Magners League, Norton-Knight was dropped after a 26-0 loss to the Ospreys on New Year's Day, soon to be followed by his half back partner Gareth Cooper who's poor passing really didn't help him.

Norton-Knight had become known to some fans as Sam Norton-"Sh*te" or Sam Norton-Knight-mare and after a while you began to feel sorry for him, he was so poor even Ceri Sweeney looked decent compared to him when he replaced him. But he simply wasn't a fly half, he was a full back. He could have changed position but the problem was the Blues had a very good player in All Black Ben Blair already there so he couldn't just simply change to his real position. All in all Norton-Knight's performances made his earlier statement look extremely foolish.

more.....http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.com....on-knight.html

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Well what about these comments then from the Roar 2009? He's talked up pretty well then!

www.theroar.com.au/.../the-force-should-be-with-sam-norton-knight/

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

It's Official!

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Monday, 18 June 2012

NORTON-KNIGHT RETURNS TO FxPro SUPER RUGBY

Former Wallaby Sam Norton-Knight will return to FxPro Super Rugby after signing with the Emirates Western Force for two seasons.

Having previously played one season with the Brumbies (2005) and four with the NSW Waratahs (2006-2009), the 28-year-old more recently spent one season with Wales’ Cardiff Blues before joining the Panasonic (formerly Sanyo) Wild Knights in 2010, where he won a Top League title in his first season (22-17 over Toyota) and finished runner-up to Suntory in 2011 (37-20) and 2012 (21-9).

Having already recorded 49 Super Rugby caps with the Waratahs and nine with the Brumbies, Norton-Knight brings with him a wealth of top-level rugby experience, which has also seen him represent his country on two occasions.

In the absence of regular playmaker Stephen Larkham, Norton-Knight was selected as starting flyhalf in the Wallabies’ 29-23 win over Wales in Sydney in 2007 before scoring his first international try – as a replacement – in the Wallabies’ 49-0 win over Fiji in Perth a fortnight later.

Norton-Knight, who can cover flyhalf, fullback and inside centre, says he’s looking forward to returning to FxPro Super Rugby.

“This wasn’t an opportunity I thought I’d have when I left in 2009,” he said. “I will have been away for four seasons and the timing was right to come back to Australia and I’m really excited about this opportunity that’s been presented at the Force.

“I’m very keen to test myself in Super Rugby again, particularly with the [British and Irish] Lions touring next year. There are a number of players who have had success after coming back from Japan to play in Australia and this only confirmed my decision to return.

“I’m really looking forward to the challenge as I’m enjoying my rugby now more than I probably have before. There is a phenomenal culture and training regime in these Japanese sides, and it’s taught me that the more you put in, the more you’ll enjoy your rugby. It’s also been fantastic playing under [former All Blacks flyhalf] Tony Brown, who’s probably had more of an influence on my game than anyone else.”

Norton-Knight says he’s looking forward to donning the Emirates Western Force colours and enjoying the lifestyle on offer in Perth.

“I’ve been to Perth a number of times and I’ve always loved it there,” he said. “I’ve also kept in touch with guys like Brett Sheehan, who not only says it’s a great place to live but a fantastic place to play your footy as well.

“When I played Super Rugby, of all the Australian teams, the Force was always one of the toughest and a team I didn’t particularly enjoy playing against. Those are the teams you want to be playing for and obviously we’ll be doing what we can to make life difficult for other teams on the field next year.”

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid says in addition to his on-field performances, Norton-Knight will play a crucial role as a senior member of the Emirates Western Force.

“Sam comes to us with considerable rugby knowledge and as a well-travelled footballer,” he said. “He’s been a part of a number of successful sides, including starting for the Waratahs in their 2008 Super 14 final and winning a Top League premiership in Japan.

“He’s a versatile player with a first-class running, kicking and passing game and he’s got a lot to offer this side in 2013.

“Through the recruitment of Sias Ebersohn and Junior Rasolea we have some outstanding young talent, but it’s important to balance that with experience which is something Sam certainly provides. Not only has he played at Test level but he’s had significant experience in this competition and overseas which can only benefit him as a player as well as the broader development of the team.”

Name: Sam Norton-Knight
    Born: 02/12/1983
    Position: Flyhalf/inside centre/fullback
    Height: 188cm
    Weight: 86kg
    Representative Rugby: 2010-2012 Panasonic Wild Knights, 2009–2010 Cardiff Blues, 2007 Wallabies, 2006–2009 NSW Waratahs, 2005 Australia A, 2005 Brumbies

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    O_o

We should not be signing any backs that spent more than 0.1ms with the 'tahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    O_o

We should not be signing any backs that spent more than 0.1ms with the 'tahs.
    So Get rid of mafi then?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Rookie
    vCash
    Maybe too late to say this, but it appears we just able to attract player that can not get a place somewhere else #justsaying

vCash
    I doubt it. This bloke is likely to be Injury cover for 15, 10 & 12. hopefully our starters will be Mafi, Ebersohn with Seymoure and/or our other promising centres playing off them.
    This signing is a better one than Harvey and makes his retention look an error.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wqerti View Post
    Maybe too late to say this, but it appears we just able to attract player that can not get a place somewhere else #justsaying
    What can you expect when there's still no sign of a good coach?

vCash
    What a fecking joke !!!
    Will be wooden spooners if we keep this recruitment up !!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    What can you expect when there's still no sign of a good coach?
    There hasn't been an announcement yet you mean
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    who can forget the Lote tuquiri shove in the back after Knight fluffed an almost certain point scoring opportunity against us which ultimately forced a draw....

vCash
    Not a bad signing, we've signed worse. I hope we haven't paid big bucks for him though. He is what he is, not a bad player, but not someone who would be anything other than a bench warmer at the likes of the Crusaders, Stormers etc. If the Force talent scouts (oxy-moron?) think otherwise, then they're much more dumbingerer than I thought.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast