Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Glory fans 'to lose out' under nib Stadium revamp

vCash

Glory fans 'to lose out' under nib Stadium revamp

Perth Glory boss Tony Sage has threatened to "walk away" from the team's home of 15 years after it was revealed a $95 million redevelopment of the nib Stadium would see capacity at the ground halved for the 2012/13 soccer season.

Work on the upgrade will begin next month - to be completed in March next year - and while the stadium will remain open during the A-League soccer season, capacity will be halved to 9,500 while construction takes place.

The state government today announced BGC Construction had been awarded the contract for the redevelopment, which has been broadened to include a new permanent southern stand and seating of the northern bowl, as well as the eastern stand redevelopment.

He told 6PR's Paul Murray he was "incensed" given the Glory was the anchor club for the stadium, and said the club was looking for a new home.

"We've been the anchor tenant there since 1996, we play 14 games a year there... and for them to come and destroy our entire season and not impact on rugby union whatsoever, who only play seven games there, is just an absolute farce," he said.

"We would have got 13 or 14,000 throughout the season. They're telling us we're now only going to have 9,500."

"They could have started this many months ago, or leave it until the end of the season."

Mr Sage said the Glory's first game next season, a grand final replay against Brisbane, would be played at Patersons Stadium in order to cater for an expected crowd in excess of 20,000.

The club is discussing the possibility of playing future games next season at either the Burswood Dome or Patersons Stadium.

The Glory's contract at nib is up at the end of next year, but Mr Sage said the deal had effectively been "torn up" by the reduction in crowd capacity for the upcoming season.

The redevelopment will consist of a covered eastern grandstand complete with new food, beverage and toilet facilities, a 250-seat barbecue terrace and seating for 420 patrons in open corporate boxes.

Work will start on July 2, following the last home game of the Western Force's 2012 season, with the major works due to be completed in March next year.

Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron acknowledged the club's frustration but said the long-term benefits would be worthwhile.

"It's a little bit like when you re-do a freeway, you have a period of time when it's a bit annoying to motorists... but the long-term for the rectangular sports and for Glory is going to be highly beneficial," he said.

"We hope (Glory) are successful in the following season, that they can pack this stadium."

"This is a fantastic result for our rectangular sporting codes as the redevelopment will provide a huge boost to the stadium amenity and, in turn, will provide a much better spectator experience."

Rugby WA chief executive Vern Reid welcomed the announcement today.

"To be able to have a properly fitted-out and fully undercover stand is crucial for the comfort of our members going ahead... so across the board we're very, very pleased," he said.

The construction wouldn't affect the Western Force, Mr Reid said, as the club had arranged to play two away games followed by a bye, before returning to the completed stadium in March.

He hoped the 13,000-strong rugby membership would be boosted as a result of the revamp.

WA Rugby League chairman Richard Campbell said the decision would boost WA's bid for a new NRL side to be based in Perth.

A decision on the location of the new team will be announced in August.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/gl...#ixzz1x4eFqlyT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    give him a fucking tissue

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    This is the most disturbing part

Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    The state government today announced BGC Construction had been awarded the contract for the redevelopment, which has been broadened to include a new permanent southern stand and seating of the northern bowl, as well as the eastern stand redevelopment.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/gl...#ixzz1x4eFqlyT

The Government are so impressed with the job BGC have done so far at The Perth Arena that they have given them another project.

Back to Subi for 2013 matches

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    So he is having a sad because capacity will be cut for one season in order to boost capacity for the following season?

Crazy idea, increase the price of tickets... if soccer fans are dumb enough to be soccer fans, I'm sure they'd be dumb enough to pay extra :p

Sorry soccer fans

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Rookie
    vCash
    Might be glorys best chance for a sell out home crowd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Back to Subi for 2013 matches
    Oh how I've been longing for a return to Subi!!! The stadium was so much better

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    The construction wouldn't affect the Western Force, Mr Reid said, as the club had arranged to play two away games followed by a bye, before returning to the completed stadium in March.
    mmm.. tell me a construction project that finished on schedule...

vCash
    Forsyth Bar Stadium Dunedin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    ...so impressed with the job BGC have done so far at The Perth Arena...
    Its actually the idiotic contract the previous government signed with Melbourne architects, the idiotic design of the Melbourne architects, and the incompetency of the idiotic Melbourne architects. They sold the previous govt a lemon, the price has tripled from in order of $170m to $500m (for a tennis court) due to disastrously flawed design and incompetent detailing and documentation.

BTW I'm not defending BGC

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Its actually the idiotic contract the previous government signed with Melbourne architects, the idiotic design of the Melbourne architects, and the incompetency of the idiotic Melbourne architects. They sold the previous govt a lemon, the price has tripled from in order of $170m to $500m (for a tennis court) due to disastrously flawed design and incompetent detailing and documentation.

BTW I'm not defending BGC
    And that was just the beginning, problems still arise daily

vCash
    the daily problems are the result of the crap design, and the architects delivering useless detail and documentation drawings. They are incompetent

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I can't believe the amount of labor required to fit all those little triangle panels on the outside - I can see it from my office being built every day, panel by panel - crazy design!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    They are incompetent
    I think you are giving them too much credit

In fact, so much water has leaked in today that a shark was actually spotted in there

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJo1LTmFYS8"]Perth Arena attacked by shark.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

And this is how it all started

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGzT-4Cyho"]A Builder and an Architect - YouTube[/ame]

vCash
    I saw recently that the Glory fork out up to $100,000 for every game thats played at NiB so maybe he is just trying to get that amount down.

I'm getting a mebership next year after a few years without one due to Cricket and the fixturing of the A-League meaning I would miss half the season because a game on a Saturday night would start at 7 and with Cricket not finishing until 6-6:30 made it a pain in the arse to get there

I know it won't happen but if the Force went back to Subiaco I wouldn't renew my membership. Deadset

vCash
    The average attendance at Glory matches last season was 8,300, with a maximum attendance of 12,358 and a minimum of 6,458 (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_A-League). That was in a play-off year. The previous year they were awful and still managed an average of ~8,500.

This makes it look like the Glory have a fairly static attendance figure. Where Sage gets the attendance figures of 13-14,000 from is anybody's guess. They may miss out on a few fans for the few games which attracted more than 9,500, but if they expected 20,000 for the game against Brisbane, they'd have had to go to Subi anyway - Nib can't hold that many.

I think the Glory may have had a bit of a raw deal here if their rent isn't reduced; playing next to a construction site won't look good on TV or help the performances on the pitch, but the stadium owners must have looked at the relative attendances - the Glory get a few fans missing out for ~half the matches (ie, 7) or the Force, who've averaged over 15,000 for the last two years miss out on 5,000 fans for 8 games.

Last edited by Sheikh; 07-06-12 at 13:29. Reason: speallung!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast