Thread: Contract window in Super Rugby

vCash

Contract window in Super Rugby

Great article on the PinkRugby website this week making the case for a contract window in Super Rugby. I totally agree with everything Irene says in the article!!

What do you guys think?

http://pinkrugby.com/2012/super-rugby-contract-window

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    yup couldnt agree more. The destabilizing of Judas. GeniaGate, Taps, Higgers, Pocock even Sharpie to Brums has got to stop.

I am staggered at the lack of output from ARU on this, and also the lack of performance of Wallabies and Deans. Notwithstanding the efforts of the other teams, the two losses to Scotland and Samoa is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Could you imagine the uproar if say Collingwood lost to GWS and Suns? Or ABs lost to Tonga and Georgia?

Basically this organisation are a bunch of amateur clowns, and rugby will never progress until they have corporate governance (same with EWS board)

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Could you imagine the uproar if say Collingwood lost to GWS and Suns?
    What are you on, this is not a fantasy site you know

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    What are you on, this is not a fantasy site you know

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    this is not a fantasy site you know
    (A temporary hijack PC)

WHAT? Come ONNNNNnnnnn. Course it is. Isnt being a Force fan S&M?

Seriously though there is something terribly wrong with the attitude of the Wallabies, its actually a bit like English cricket and soccer teams, they go through the motions but are no longer passionate about representing their country. Those players from the other night should be absolutely smarting and embarrassed, and Deans furious, but all we get are inane comments like "we will learn from this" bla bla. Alex Ferguson would have got out the hairdryer, kicked a soccer boot in Barnes face, dragged Genia for the up and under at 5 mins, and sold off Alexander to a second string club. He would also have used his bench (there are seven players on the bench in rugby Robbie, not three). And Abramovich would have sacked Deans about five times over by now.

The ARU have consistently shown over the past three years they have no clue how to run this game, they have done nothing to support the Force who are struggling, they have done nothing to stop the destabilising mid season rumours, they have done nothing about the national team performance, they have introduced a salary cap (when SA and NZ have not??) and then changed it ad hoc that stymied the Force with Genia but strangley assisted the Brums with Pocock.

The easiest fix out of this lot is have a transfer window between seasons for ARU contracted players. Non-ARU players can be signed whenever you want (internationals, Shute Shield etc)

vCash
    Love your work Bison :-)) You rock!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    I am staggered at the lack of output from ARU on this
    There actually has been output...

AUSTRALIAN rugby could have a transfer window in the future with John O'Neill admitting the ARU was investigating ways to avoid a repeat of Will Genia's ugly contract drama last month.

With the fallout of Genia's "deal or no deal" with the Western Force still reverberating, ARU boss O'Neill said the current set-up which sees players and provinces negotiating and signing with rivals in the middle of the season was "far from ideal".

Players believe the system creates huge distractions and in Genia's case - where he backflipped on a deal with the Force to stay in Queensland - the ruckus has caused a major rift between the two provinces.

After agonising over a decision to switch to the Rebels last week, Reds back-rower Scott Higginbotham last week called for a transfer window to be considered.

Stopping short of endorsing set windows like the Premier League, O'Neill said regulation was being looked into.

"I haven't had a good chat to (ARU HPU boss) Dave Nucifora but I'd like to think we could find a better and more defined way of handling the window, such that you avoid these sometimes not-very-edifying situations," O'Neill said.

"It tends to happen in other codes as well but I can only say at this point we are looking at different models, and can hopefully come up with something - with RUPA's agreement - that narrows down the destructive element of it."

A transfer window in rugby could prove problematic, however. The AFL trade window operates effectively because it is a closed market, but rugby has year-round international interest and competitions to factor in.

It would also prove difficult to enforce, with player managers and clubs highly unlikely to observe set windows to discuss movement of players.

RUPA boss Greg Harris said the players union would be happy to discuss a transfer window, but in the context of wider negotiations over new contracting protocols.

Talks have stalled over the 2013 salary cap, with the ARU wanting to encourage financial prudence and reduce their liabilities with a $4.1 million cap. RUPA and clubs are looking for closer to $4.8 million.

"RUPA would look fairly favourably on (a transfer window) but we'd be keen to look at it in a fairly holistic manner," Harris said.

"It's one part of contracting that need to be looked at it, but it's just one of a number of issues. For us, the salary caps are the big issue and we're hopeful of being able to negotiate a settlement with the ARU that suits both parties."

O'Neill said he hoped an agreement could be reached "in a few weeks".

http://www.news.com.au/news/aru-cons...-1226364902524

vCash
    There are several really disturbing statements here (which I did read the other day), which indicate just how lame they are:
    "I haven't had a good chat to (ARU HPU boss) Dave Nucifora"
    "It would also prove difficult to enforce, with player managers and clubs highly unlikely to observe set windows"
    "O'Neill said he hoped an agreement could be reached "in a few weeks""

(I have to go. Ill finish my thoughts on this a bit later)