Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Furious Western Force players wanted Richard Graham sacked

vCash

Furious Western Force players wanted Richard Graham sacked

WESTERN Force players were so angered by coach Richard Graham's shock defection to Queensland next year, they discussed the prospect of having him sacked immediately.
    Some Force players are furious at Graham's decision to abandon ship, and feel they can no longer play for him.

Graham held a meeting with 18 players yesterday telling them of his decision to become head coach of Queensland - the rest were away for their bye week and he notified them by phone - and emotions ran high afterwards.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that players approached Force chief executive Vern Reid immediately afterwards to see if Graham could be punted.

Graham, who was contracted to the club until 2014 but had a clause to negotiate with others for next year, would need to be paid out if sacked before the end of this season, and the club is reluctant to go down that path.

It is now up to Graham to win back the support of his players.While some understand his decision, others feel aggrieved that Graham had been negotiating with them to re-sign with the club despite knowing he would be joining the rival Reds.

Off-contract players are now uncertain of whether they wish to recommit to the Force, leaving the struggling club in tatters. But skipper David Pocock, who has known for some time that Graham would defect, is expected to remain at the Force.

Pocock will be given an influential role in the recruitment of players and will have a big say on the next coach, for which a global search is now underway.

Graham has known for some time that he would be joining Queensland, but chose the team's by week to break the news to minimise disruptions.

The news has rocked Australian rugby. The move essentially weakens an already weak franchise, while strengthening a strong one.

Graham was always going to find it tough to turn down the head coaching role of the defending Super Rugby champions. The Reds have been planning a European style coaching team for six months, but approached Graham more recently.

Current coach Ewen McKenzie will move to a more managerial position as "director of coaching", and in 2014 will expand to governing Queensland rugby's development including its 200 clubs.

Such a role will make it difficult for McKenzie to take on the Wallabies' head coaching position should it become available after 2013 when incumbent Robbie Deans is off contract.

"I am particularly interested in executing Queensland Rugby's future generation plan (2012-2014) which is built around strategy designed to achieve ongoing success and long-term sustainability for the code,' McKenzie said.

Former Brumbies coaches Andy Friend and Laurie Fisher have been rumoured as candidates for the vacant Force job, although Reid said he would also assess the credentials of overseas talent.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226329785609

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would like to go on record as saying "RG I will no longer buy you a beer!"

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That headline should read "Furious players AND SUPPORTERS want Richard Graham sacked"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Fine. If the players want him out of the picture as head coach and the board don't want to pay him out, make him the gear steward, team bus driver, coach's gofer, reserve ball boy.......whatever. But one way or t'other remove him as head coach. Put the assistants in charge. The players will do the rest.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Fine. If the players want him out of the picture as head coach and the board don't want to pay him out, make him the gear steward, team bus driver, coach's gofer, reserve ball boy.......whatever. But one way or t'other remove him as head coach. Put the assistants in charge. The players will do the rest.
    I just sent Rugby WA saying just that Shasta!

Last edited by SNOB; 17-04-12 at 10:15. Reason: spelling
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I really think Facebook requires a "dislike" button. One of these........ would suffice for the icon. But with a facial expression something like this.... .

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    1. The expansion teams are in the mire. The difference between the Rebels this year and last? By this stage in 2011 they had one more win and presumably a smaller wage bill. The Melbourne side awarded themselves the week off against the Brumbies, presumably as reward for beating the Blues, and are no closer to understanding what it takes to be consistently competitive in this competition. Much more sympathy goes to the Force, who might have been able to build something had James O'Connor stayed. As it is, not even their coach believes they can serve his ambition. Does anyone have Nick Mallett's number?
    Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...#ixzz1sGDdFJWJ

Do you get the feeling that the Hooray Henrys in the Qld and NSW RFUs still think (and hope) that the Victorian and Western Australian Super Rugby teams are aberrations which will go away one of these days, so that Rugby in Australia can go back to what it used to be, a game played by "gentlemen" from proper schools in Brisbane and Sydney?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    & therein lies the problem with australian rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    starting to think we might have another termite to take care of .......... J O'Neil

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    starting to think we might have another termite to take care of .......... J O'Neil
    Rats in the ranks....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    There's a man in the shadows with a gun in his eye,
    and a blade shining oh so bright.
    There's evil in the air and there's thunder in sky,
    and A killer's on the bloodshot streets.
    respects to Mr Loaf

vCash
    The players should form a committee and get rid of the coach.

Champion
    vCash
    hopes Richard Graham gets run out of WA with those types of statements. "It's the opportunity to go to a rugby-strong state and a young side that has already won a Super Rugby championship". Because you cannot coach a winning team/create a winning culture you jump ship. WA is a rugby strong state, just look at how many supporters turn up to create the Sea of Blue with little to celebrate! And if this is how you feel surely being a s15 coach you could have made an impact of the sporting landscape in WA instead of taking this approach, I guess it just shows the quality of the man so in a way its good he is leaving.

As a player, coach and supporter I am proud where I came from and to have had the honour of representing WA and I find those comments as a slap in the face to me and all those that have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Rats in the ranks....
    A red under the bed .....

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast