Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Grahams Leaves the Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Richard Grahams Leaves the Force

The Emirates Western Force has moved to secure a world class coach for next season with incumbent Richard Graham to depart following the end of the 2012 season.

With the option available to either party to end the existing contract following the 2012 FxPro Super Rugby season, Graham recently informed RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid of his decision to leave.

In the short time since being informed of the decision the West Australian side has cast the net far and wide in search of a suitably qualified individual and is already speaking to a shortlist of internationally recognised and experienced Coaches.

“We are firmly of the view that the Head Coaching position at the Emirates Western Force is a prestigious role, not only in the Super Rugby competition but globally,” RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said.

“From our initial discussions there has been strong interest from coaches with a world class pedigree and expect that now that the opening will be widely known we’ll get plenty of enquiries.

“As a young club we’ve always strived for success and see the next appointment as critical in achieving sustained success in the Super Rugby competition.

“We are of course disappointed that Richard will not be part of the long term future at the Emirates Western Force but the nature of professional sport is that things can change very quickly and we have the contingency plans in place that will enable us to recruit a Head Coach of impeccable standing to the club.

“It is our preference to find an outstanding Australian coach either currently working overseas or in Australia to be Richard’s replacement however we will look at every possibility to recruit the best credentialed coach that is available in world rugby.”

Graham took the reins at the Emirates Western Force ahead of the 2011 season following a year as an Assistant under inaugural Coach John Mitchell.

Although well supported by the RugbyWA administration and playing group, Graham has made a decision to accept an offer to move to the Queensland Reds from 2013.

Reid said he expected Graham would see out the remainder of the 2012 season as Head Coach with the same desire and integrity he has displayed in the year and half he has been in the position.

One immediate change will come in the form of recruitment and retention which will see Graham removed from the process and instead conducted exclusively by former Wallaby and current General Manager of Rugby, Mitch Hardy, and the CEO.

“While Richard remains committed to the Emirates Western Force this season it would be inappropriate for him to continue to be involved in the retention and recruitment process going forward,” Reid said.

“We are actively working to retain our best people at the club while also bringing in new personnel to strengthen the squad. Mitch has always been intimately involved in recruitment and retention and he’ll continue the process which is well progressed with a number of players.

“We will ensure there is as much clarity as possible and certainly hope to be in a position to give surety and a long term vision for the club by making an appropriate coaching appointment sooner rather than later.”

Graham said it was an extremely tough decision to make and one that hadn’t come without considerable thought but in the end he felt it was best for his coaching career.

“The Emirates Western Force and RugbyWA gave me an opportunity to undertake my first full-time Head Coaching position and I’ll forever be grateful for that. Perth is a wonderful place to live and play rugby and I will have no hesitation in telling that to anyone who asks me,” Graham said.

“Purely from a personal standing as a career coach I felt it was something I needed to do but I wish to make it clear that it is in no way a reflection on RugbyWA or the Emirates Western Force.

“I intend to do everything I can to make the back half of our season a successful one and there will be no distractions in my desire to achieve finals for the club in 2012.”

With the Emirates Western Force having a bye this weekend it was felt now was the appropriate time to make public Graham’s intentions and all key stakeholders, including the playing group, support staff and club partners have been informed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    HMM - cant say I'm not pleased ! Lets hope the new coach brings a different approach and style of play making.

Jumped before he was pushed?

Interesting to see who throws their hat in the ring for the poisoned chalice.

vCash
    Well done Burgs you beat me to this one

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Here for the big stories mate, kinda like Ray Martin

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Prospect
    vCash
    i'd say jumped before he was pushed.

we have decent players and maybe with a new coach they might be able to string more then one consecutive win together at a time?

for instance..... no one goes to a rugby match to watch AFL players..... stop kicking the ball!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    i think there would be a few Red's supporters pretty upset with this decision right now lol

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    they are spewing over at G&GR

vCash
    now there must be an appropriate little ditty we can sing at the next home match ..........

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Am I ever gunna see you face again??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sir Clive Woodward

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmah View Post
    i'd say jumped before he was pushed.

we have decent players and maybe with a new coach they might be able to string more then one consecutive win together at a time?

for instance..... no one goes to a rugby match to watch AFL players..... stop kicking the ball!!!
    Going from "head coach" to a "senior coaching position" sound like jumping to me.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    At least he's leaving on a high - 4 points for the bye this week!

vCash
    I wonder what the machinations behind this are?

The article in the Australian indicate that the Qld Reds actually head-hunted him. Why would they do that?

It just doesn't sound right....... any ideas?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

Graham said it was an extremely tough decision to make and one that hadn’t come without considerable thought but in the end he felt it was best for his coaching career.
    Best for us as well!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Am I ever gunna see you face again??
    Love it.

another classic quote - Graham said: "It was an opportunity to go to a rugby strong state."

Yep they are strong in League. I don't see that they are any stronger in union - Ultimately WA has a good ground support and potential players coming into the state. Just look at our African immigrants from Zim and SA not to mention our pommy friends as well.

You couldn't get a better support base than what u find here in WA.

As for the players well they are professional players and most will go where ever the $ is based. We can attract and retain the players at the end of the day with a decent coach, a few more wins and improved stadium.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast