Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping It Up

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Keeping It Up

After a bit of digging, watching a few trial matches, keeping tabs on club sites, and reading The Whole Force carefully, I think I've worked out where the weakness will be in the local club competition this season.

Up front.

Wanneroo haven't got a first grade front row. Or a second, third or fourth grade one. I believe Billy Watts is retrieving his boots from the attic in preparation for his swan song year, a year he thought he had celebrated in 1965. Those boots belong in a museum, but will be subject to a vigorous workout in the absence of anyone younger to fill them.

Kala have a few props and a hooker or two who in a normal season for them would pass muster, but this season, given their lack of depth in every other position, won't be noticed.

Rockingham are adequate up front, and have the support players to make them look good, but adequacy don't get you to grand finals.

Wests have a few under wraps. Don't be fooled by their pissing off a fair lump of a fellow earlier in the year. He was a money sucking dud, and they have better to draw on. Wests will be as good as anyone in that department, and, together with Uni, have to be favorites to win the premiership this year.

Uni look pretty average in the prop department at this stage, but then they always do. However this year the potato famine in Ireland is turning up trumps for them, given their leprechaun connections and their tax payer funded scholarship opportunities, and they will have a good supply of burly unemployables to draw on.

Nedlands are shitting themselves. They won't be seeing anything of Pek, Nathan Charles has higher aspirations, and apart from Travis the journeyman, whose reliability depends on his mood on the day, they ain't got nothing yet.

Soaks appear to have bought themselves an expensive prop, but one won't be enough shared among five senior grades. Or will it be only three senior grades?

Cott have lost some of their front row glamour this year, with their infant baby Huey seeking fame and fortune in the East, but can't be underestimated in their ability to drag a Force player or two into their fold. Still, I don't rate their chances of doing so very highly this year. There is only so much chook shit sensible players will endure.

Perth have the most humungous, bestest set of forwards, especially props, in the Comp. Shame is, nobody's ever heard of them except from Perth spin doctors, and they haven't done much in their trials so far, like won a game. But I'll keep an open mind. JT has done a lot with far less in past seasons.

Which leaves Palmyra. Joe Savage is pretty damn good, and Higgins and Hummer have been known to hold a line or two as well. Hooker is less certain, with a couple of newbies in the mix. We'll see.

I hope there are a few decent backs out there ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 13-04-12 at 12:15.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post

Perth have the most humungous, bestest set of forwards, especially props, in the Comp. Shame is, nobody's ever heard of them except from Perth spin doctors, and they haven't done much in their trials so far, like won a game. But I'll keep an open mind. JT has done a lot with far less in past seasons.
    JT has nothing to do with the Premiers. He is involved with Junior rugby and will be coaching the U20's

Dean Carlisle is the first grade coach for 2012

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    lol

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Woohoo, finally my delusions of adequacy may be realized!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Straight off the rumour mill:

Wanneroo - 1st grade will be handy and be propped up by more than their share of Force players thanks to their generous sugar daddy. Great depth in juniors but seniors will follow the same old pattern and end the season pondering what could have been. Best they can expect is 6th.

Kalamunda - What a disaster in the making. All the rumours eminating from the hills represent bad news. Organisationally a time bomb and that disfunction will flow onto the playing field where numbers are ordinary. This could get ugly. Predict an implosion and last place.

Rockingham - After poaching a coach from Palmyra, jagging another from the Navy, quite a few new imports, Rocky will start the season with high hopes but won't have the depth to sustain a full campaign. Will finish 2nd last.

Wests - The hottest team during the trials and have recruited strongly including a few from other Perth clubs. Definite finals contenders, should be top 4.

Uni - Are gorging themselves on the talent they have recruited, stolen or poached in all senior grades and its cost them a packet. The footpaths are paved in gold at Mcgillivray at the moment - they will hand a scholarship and free accommodation, air fares, cars, free everything really to any rugby player over the age of 12. One hopes that they will be taught a lesson that money can't buy you a premiership; mind you they proved that it can last year! And with the resources of Rugby WA at their disposal, they will have no excuses if they don't win the flag in 2012.

Nedlands - Imports are starting to roll into town although with stories of unrest within the Nedlands camp it may not be the usual Nedlands domination. At least they'll have a new bar to drown their sorrows in. Still predict a top 4 position.

Soaks - They have lots of money but don't appear to be throwing it around. What are they doing with their money? Have they got their recruitment strategy horribly wrong as player depth a major issue or have they got a few aces to lay on the table? Predict a mediocre season for the Chardonnay set, 7th position.

Cottesloe - biggest bunch of jerks in town. Half the Force players are still aligned with them. Have recruited and poached as many players as their coach has the energy for. The latest being a Sharks Academy prop who supposedly is enjoying a free holiday in Australia; wonder what they are going to do when his 3 month tourist visa runs out? Lets hope they have the season from hell although they'll probably finish top 4..

Perth - Massive pack in premier grade but backs won't pass muster. FIFO has hit hard and player depth not what it should be. Under 18's and Under 20's will be handy. Bottom half finish for Baysie premiers, predict 8th.

Palmyra - Should finish top half but need some luck with injuries etc to make the finals. Predict 4th or 5th position across the line.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    JT has nothing to do with the Premiers. He is involved with Junior rugby and will be coaching the U20's

Dean Carlisle is the first grade coach for 2012
    FS, is normally not far from the truth maybe predicting the future on this one?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Knives are being sharpened at Baysie?

Haven't heard that one although I am reliably informed that they aren't the happiest of clubs at present but that was in relation to the administration not the coaching side of things.

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see some punters looking at their crystal balls.

One achievement made down at the forsehore has been to demolish, clean, build and now fit out new clubrooms and changerooms. In real terms a project that would be around the 1 to 1.2 mil. completed in 7 - 8 months. Absolutely awesome work and a magnificent effort.

The hope is our fellow competitors will forgive years of cold showers, inadequate toilets for the ladies, cramped clubrooms generally tired and old surrounds.

We are genuinely looking forward to at long last inviting you to a new home that everyone should enjoy.

vCash
    Kala have a few props and a hooker or two who in a normal season for them would pass muster, but this season, given their lack of depth in every other position, won't be noticed.
    Maybe its time I dig out the boots and show my face at Hartfield

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post

One achievement made down at the forsehore has been to demolish, clean, build and now fit out new clubrooms and changerooms. In real terms a project that would be around the 1 to 1.2 mil. completed in 7 - 8 months. Absolutely awesome work and a magnificent effort.
    When does your crew start work on the new grandstand down at nib Hansie

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    One achievement made down at the forsehore has been to demolish, clean, build and now fit out new clubrooms and changerooms.
    How is it looking?

I still maintain Nedlands rugby club should be knocked down and replaced with a 1980s style rollerdisco, good times..

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Andrew M, the old Southern Suburbs Kalamunda Districts Rugby Union Football Club Inc.

Longest name for a sporting club ever conceived.

I well remember playing against them at their old Ventnor Street Scarborough grounds in the late 60's early 70's, although WTF Scarborough had to do with Southern Suburbs or Kalamunda Districts was always beyond me ...

Champion
    vCash
    Would have been cheaper to knock the old one down but we needed to preserve Brocky's Mural.

Be interesting to see if the nib upgrade gets completed on schedule.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    to be completed on schedule you have to start

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Maybe its time I dig out the boots and show my face at Hartfield
    They have a good 22 just light on replacements , forwards will be strong big mobile pack " when fit " but they will lack direction at 10 .Have had 3-4 key players working away a lock from nedlands an a hooker from southland played npc working away but back in the early rounds both will add too the pack and now they have 6-8 front rowers aged but will do a fair job Under 30 players each training for both 1st and 2nd grade but from what I hear there are a few clubs light on numbers .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast