Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force Name Settled Side for Waratahs Re-match

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force Name Settled Side for Waratahs Re-match

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has made just one forced change to his match-day 22 with winger Samu Wara, who picked up a hamstring strain last weekend, replaced by the club’s all-time leading point scorer Cameron Shepherd.

Shepherd has been selected on the reserves bench and will be called upon to impose himself on the game in the latter stages having recovered from an adductor strain. Versatile performer Rory Sidey moves into the outside backs in place of Wara.

The forward pack that has serviced the Emirates Western force so well this season remains untouched and their battle against a tough NSW outfit will again be a pivotal factor in the outcome of the clash.

The selection headaches that both camps had leading into the corresponding fixture a month ago is in stark contrast to the settled line-ups being taken into a derby encounter that will have a big bearing on the fortunes of both sides in a packed Australian Conference.

“In essence this is an 8 point game given we have an opportunity to get four points this week and the bye next week,” Graham said.

Having already played all of their intestate rivals away from home the Emirates Western Force will be hoping to make it two from two against their fellow countrymen at nib Stadium after disposing of the reigning FxPro Super Rugby champion Reds a fortnight ago.

Despite missing the points against an in-form Chiefs side last weekend the mood in the camp has been upbeat and Graham said everyone is eager to translate a solid week on the training track into a winning performance.

“The majority of our focus his week has remained on ourselves and how we can get better and ensure a strong performance in front of our home supporters,” said Graham.

“One of the things that will allow that to happen is consistency in selection. It is unfortunate that Sammy has picked up a mild strain but I’m confident that Rory will be able to do a very good job on the wing.

“Finding a balance in our attack is a key area and will assist in getting a result here in Perth.”

While the Emirates Western Force has defeated the Waratahs twice and drawn once in previous encounters but have yet to taste victory in WA, something they’re determined to rectify come Friday night.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 8
    Emirates Western Force v Waratahs

Friday, 13 April 2012 at nib Stadium

Kick-off: 7.10pm (AWST)
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Richard Brown
    7. David Pocock (Captain)
    8. Matt Hodgson

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Ben Seymour
    11. Alfie Mafi
    12. Winston Stanley
    13. Nick Cummins
    14. Rory Sidey
    15. David Harvey

Reserves
    16. Elvis Taione
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Phoenix Battye
    19. Ben McCalman
    20. Josh Holmes
    21. Cameron Shepherd
    22. Patrick Dellit

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    So does this mean "NALA, sideways Sam" aren't in the best 22 ?? As I thought i heard earlier this week they are available to play.. but seeing this 22 they aren't there.

vCash
    Geez, we're really not getting our money's worth out of the imports.

How much do you think, if anything at all, are members/supporters entitled to know about players' injuries.

Champion
    vCash
    Give Nala the same treatment we gave to our other previous Marque Player, Andre Pretious, only paid portion of his salary.... then we may see him on the park a little earlier. (not that i want him back) Samy + Mafi are doing an excellent job.

vCash
    Frustrating to see new guys like Nalaga (& Rapana) not able to run cos of injury! Still am happy to see same side named - they did great job against Chief blimps last week.
    I'm not an expert on rugby by any means but having just viewed the replay of the game - really noticed the lack of spark apart from Mafi & Cummins in backline, there just didn't seem to be any interest in supporting the runner. Also once the Chiefs realised Nick was the most likelythreat he started to get their attention so commonsense could have been to switch your runners. Restarts and box kick chases seem to fall away in the second half as well. (possible nervous of getting hit?)
    Really feel we have the talent in back line but they're just not putting together new creative running angles and fast! Play was kept so close and narrow would have loved to see the wider passing like against the Reds, it always seems to open up the Force's game more. Maybe they were just playing it safer?
    Anyhoo -just hoping maybe outpsyching the Tahs, who are expecting more of the usual forwards breakdown bonanza, could get a shock with the backs blowing it wide open! Maybe then I won't get the urge to have to jump on field for fuck's sake and do it myself!

vCash
    Yup, and that leads me to think its about time we developed, played and trusted our own game instead of overemphasis on the opposition plays and how to nullify that. We always look better when this happens, and always look like failing when playing an ultra conservative game to constrict the opposition. Trust the backs, get them the ball and let them use it. They are not useless no-hopers, they can catch and run. but only if they are given the ball and let loose.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A liitle birdy told me that one of the issues/problems with last week was that the forwards were advancing the ball fairly well however the backs were not calling for the ball as they had done more often the week before, on field communication was lacking.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    A liitle birdy told me that one of the issues/problems with last week was that the forwards were advancing the ball fairly well however the backs were not calling for the ball as they had done more often the week before, on field communication was lacking.
    True true! Noticed 1 instance in this case ( I think just before halftime?) Chiefs kicked down to left corner which Ben picked up and with Samu screaming out on his lonesome on the other side, instead Ben panicked and did a ridiculous kick upfield straight back into Chiefs player.
    I'm going to have to buy a wig before the end of the season at this rate.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Thats where Ben Seymour is lacking, and why we should have Harves in this position. He's not a leader of the backline and where we need a classy #9 & #10 to lead our backline around the park.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    and again where is Ben Whittaker?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Force winger not ready for rugby return
    April 12, 2012 - 12:44PM

Western Force winger Napolioni Nalaga will have to wait at least two more weeks before making his Super Rugby return, with the Fijian ruled out of Friday night's clash with the NSW Waratahs in Perth.

Force coach Richard Graham has made just one change to the side that lost 20-12 to the Chiefs last week, replacing injured winger Samu Wara (hamstring) with Rory Sidey.

Nalaga has missed the past four games with an ankle injury, but Graham was confident the 26-year-old would be ready to go after the Force's bye next week.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

"He's actually run pretty strongly this week, to be fair. But given he's been out for four weeks, I was just concerned he hasn't done the work running," Graham said on Thursday.

"Given that we've got another eight games to go post this week, I want to make sure that he's fit and healthy for those.

"I've got a good understanding of how his rehab is going and how hard he's working but, at this point in time, I've got a bigger picture in mind."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1rncm1vbJ

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cummins will find it harder to get free this week I think, a lot of players there (Tahs) that he has played for and against in Clubland and derbies are just more grinding anyway.
    Interesting how RG handles the 6-8 combo, with Brown used more regularly at #8 at Test level.
    With both them I guess it only really makes any great difference at scrum time as they are pretty similar loosies.
    My main concern is if it turns into a kicking duel we will lose as we don't have players with a big kick apart from the #22.

Overall though, I'm just pleased to see some fresh opinions on TWF, keep it up folks

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I'm not an expert on rugby by any means -
    You seem to be doing quite OK so far.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post

"He's actually run pretty strongly this week, to be fair. But given he's been out for four weeks, I was just concerned he hasn't done the work running," Graham said on Thursday.
    Can we not play him in the WARU for a game or two, even if its reserves to get match fit, by the look of his first 3 games he played he either "wasn't match fit / or was here for drug money only and not interested"... make him prove he is worth the #11 or #14 jersey not just an automatic start.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A few RWA Reserves Wingers throwing your post death stares at the moment benny!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast