Thread: Graham in hunt to fill holes

vCash

Graham in hunt to fill holes

Western Force coach Richard Graham is looking overseas to fill two crucial spots as part of his long- term planning.

Already in contention for 2013 are former Queensland scrum-half Nic Berry and young Stormers fly-half Demetri Catrakilis.

Berry is understood to be keen to return to Australia after a stint with London Wasps.

An Australian under-21 representative, Berry made his Super Rugby debut for the Reds in 2005 and joined top French club Racing Metro before moving to Wasps two years ago.

Current first choice No.9 Brett Sheehan is in his last season with the Force and Josh Holmes is on a short-term deal.

"Nic Berry is certainly someone we are looking at. He is Australian eligible which means we would not need to use one of our overseas player spots," Graham said.

He tried to bring Catrakilis to Perth after the resignation of Willie Ripia on the eve of this season but the South African side would not release him.

Catrakilis had a stint with Racing Metro in 2009 and joined the Stormers after an outstanding 2011 with the University of Cape Town when his 136 points helped them to the Varsity Cup. He went on to score 162 points for Western Province in the Currie Cup.

He is keen to leave the shadow of the Stormers' Springbok fly-half Peter Grant, himself a one-time Force target because of his family connections to Perth.

But the Force are likely to have competition for Catrakilis with Brian Smith, coach of London Irish, also interested.

Stormers coach Allister Coetzee said Catrakilis, 22, had a unique ability to exploit the space behind opposition.

"That awareness is not something that is easily coached. You have it or you don't," he said.

The Force have a bye this week and Graham has started planning for the next home game against the Stormers. And he is likely to spring a surprise by pairing huge Fijian winger Napolioni Nalaga in the centres with Nick Cummins.

Nalaga was used occasionally at centre by French club Clermont, but is so big they also played him at No.8 and his size will be useful against the South Africans.

Props Salesi Ma'afu and Pek Cowan have had scans on their knees for medial ligament damage after the 23-18 loss to the Waratahs on Friday.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...to-fill-holes/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by GAFFA; 16-04-12 at 08:12.
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    With Nelaga I guess its a case of "if you cant get the ball to the man get the man to the ball" will be interesting if he is used in the centres and how his defence will hold up.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    I think moving Nalaga into the Centres for the Stormers game is a good move, it's obvious that the centres are the majority of our problem, we have plenty of options in the back three and the game is well beyond our reach anyway. I still believe our best rugby has been played with two playmakers, so I'd play a different game, but I'm supportive of the coaches trying stuff. At least they recognize that something needs fixing.

Personally, I'd put mafi at 12 Harvey at 15 Shep at 11 Nalaga at 14 Seymour at 10. Nalaga would be under orders to be as enthusiastic as Wara or face the bench when he's fit.

C'mon the

vCash
    Catrikillias, this is a smart move.

Watched a number of WP games in the Currie Cup last year, and liked the look of him. He can kick for posts and position and appears to have some good playmaker skills. It would be great to get him, hopefully as a development player as it will keep our international spot open. Good kid to use and have Seymour learn off him as a back up. Holding thumbs this one comes off, too often in the past we have almost signed players to lose them at the last hurdle.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    Talking of the Stormers and Centres in 1 sentence, whens Tupou back ?

Player
    vCash
    As much as it's great to read they are making some moves I think we can put a line through season 2012 as another wasted year and hope that Rugby WA gets a clue and positions this franchise for some sort of future success. Often in sport you read about 3 year and 5 year plans but I am starting to wonder if there is any kind of cohesive plan for the Force at all.

Now into our 7th year I don't see that we are moving forward, in fact based on the results we seem to be regressing. Winning just 34% of our games since 2006 and that includes our two stellar seasons where we just managed to scrape over the 50% mark. This just isn't filling me with confidence. I hope that some major work is being put into reataining Pocock and identifying some key talent who will be able to contribute immediatley and help take us up the ladder. I am all for grooming up and coming talent but do this behind established stars because at this stage I don't want to wait another 5 years and have my 10 year members pin to wear before we see some marked improvement.

The current status quo seems to be as Force fans we should just be grateful that we have a team in Super Rugby to support but we dare not have any higher expectations that just maybe we could be successful or dare I say it challenge for a top position.

As with the big banks in this country it's time to take care of your shareholders and for Force members and wider fan base that is a dividend of a sustained winning culture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Catrikillias, this is a smart move.......Good kid to use and have Seymour learn off him as a back up. Holding thumbs this one comes off, too often in the past we have almost signed players to lose them at the last hurdle.
    Ben Seymour is 21. The other bloke is 22. I like the potential of Seymour and was very pissed off to see Harvey run out in the 10 shirt Friday. Unless there was an injury to Seymour between him being named at 5/8 on Thursday and kick-off, I'm starting to lean towards the opinion of the people who've been saying the coach is a dud.

Now the season is once again shot PLAY SEYMOUR AT 5/8 and give Godwin game time too, where possible. Play Mafi at 12 while you're at it. Let's see what they can do NOW.

Show some faith in them and sign the Saffa with no promises of a guaranteed starting spot. Why would Seymour hang around to be understudy to a bloke only a year older? He's more likely to go the way of Brock James and Jimmy.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The results of the scans would be nice to know

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Lealiifano?? He is off contract just saying

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Why did Seymour not start at 10 on Saturday can anyone tell me .....? I like him.

vCash
    Graham in hunt to fill holes FOR THE REDS!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "One immediate change will come in the form of recruitment and retention which will see Graham removed from the process and instead conducted exclusively by former Wallaby and current General Manager of Rugby, Mitch Hardy, and the CEO.

“While Richard remains committed to the Emirates Western Force this season it would be inappropriate for him to continue to be involved in the retention and recruitment process going forward,” (RugbyWA Chairman Vern) Reid said.

“We are actively working to retain our best people at the club while also bringing in new personnel to strengthen the squad. Mitch has always been intimately involved in recruitment and retention and he’ll continue the process which is well progressed with a number of players.

“We will ensure there is as much clarity as possible and certainly hope to be in a position to give surety and a long term vision for the club by making an appropriate coaching appointment sooner rather than later.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Graham in hunt to fill holes FOR THE REDS!!
    i believe RG has a good relationship with Pocock....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    not a bob Brown one,I hope

vCash
    Improved Stadium would be a great start....
    changing the coach has apparently worked for the Brumbies....
    Something needs to be done...7 years..and we haven't progressed any...
    IMHO whoever they get as coach...leave the guy to do his job...and leave politics of Rugby WA out of it....
    Never felt more low than I did after the game on Friday...we (the fans) deserve more than just to be grateful we have a Union side here... If all the Players played with the passion of the few...we would be in a much better place.....