Thread: Harvey here to stay

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Harvey here to stay

Nick Taylor, The West Australian
    April 9, 2012, 7:22 am

The Western Force have signed fly-half David Harvey for the rest of the Super Rugby season.

Harvey was initially hired on a four-game deal but will see out the rest of the season in Perth.

Coach Richard Graham has been forced to use Harvey at full-back because of the team's injury woes and though he may have some big names returning for Friday's match with the Waratahs, the inside-back problems remain.

Patrick Dellit, who was on the bench for Friday's 20-12 loss to the Chiefs, Cameron Shepherd and marquee signing Napolioni Nalaga are outside backs and Graham does not have any aces up his sleeve. His only other guaranteed fit back is rookie Kyle Godwin.

"I don't have the inside backs to play with," he said.

Graham has already started searching for replacements for next season and his priority is a world-class playmaker, a scrum-half and an inside centre.

But he has not given up hopes of qualifying for the play-offs. The Force are only seven points behind ladder leaders the Brumbies and a bye in two weeks gives them a guaranteed four points.

The Brumbies, Rebels and Waratahs have had their byes.

There is also no guarantee that any of the returning players will be automatically named in Friday's side but Graham desperately wants Nalaga on the field, probably at the expense of Samu Wara.

His other winger, Alfie Mafi, has had a strong season and is unlikely to be dropped.

"It depends on the players' work-load and how they train this week. There are no guarantees," he said.

Ben Seymour will stay at No.10 after Graham said: "Against the class back line of the Chiefs, I thought Benny did really well.

"From a consistency point of view, we want to keep the continuity and the only changes will be on form, injury or where I rest a player."

The real constant in the side is the tight five that has proved to be the best Australian scrum.

Despite the pack effort, the Chiefs brought the Force down to earth after their win over the Queensland Reds seven days earlier and they now face a Waratahs side intent on revenge.

They cannot rely solely on the boot of Harvey, who kicked his side's only points (four penalties) against the Chiefs, and must find a way of getting over the advantage line in midfield.

The Tahs side, coming off a bye, are a different side to the one the Force beat 21-20 a month ago, particularly their halves combination of Brendan McKibbin and Berrick Barnes that has led to less kicking.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-here-to-stay/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    I understand this move by Graham, there really isn't any other option at 10. Question is, do we play him on the bench with Shep and Naps starting, or do we leave one of the big names sitting and play him at 15? What happens to Alfi? I'd play him before Nalaga right now.....

I think our big issue is at 12, either Alfi or Harves should get a crack there. Alfi seems to have the feet to be an attacking 12 and Harves offers the extra playmaker option which we sorely need.
    Then comes the question of Samu Wara, he's outplayed his countryman and would be in a similar boat to Alfi if they weren't able to play. I don't want to see good young blokes shafted to make way for big names without a bloody good chance that the big name is going to perform.

C'mon the

vCash
    Great News for him, with the outside backs coming back to fitness time to move him to flyhalf, and blood Seymour some more during the course of the game to get him in the right space for next year.

Thats three big outside backs, like it.

As I said in another thread i see the start options as follows:

9) Sheehan
    10) Harvey
    11) Shepperd
    12) Dellit
    13) Cummins
    14) Nalanga
    15) Mafi

Bench:

Holmes, Seymour, Sidey and depending on the split Stanley or Waru

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Seymour to 12, gives more ball playing options, and he has proven up to it against the Chiefs

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Seymour to 12, gives more ball playing options, and he has proven up to it against the Chiefs
    It's a bloody crying shame that the coach is again forced to experiment with the inside backs. Yer a right bastard Ripia. I don't know if Mafi has played 12 but I'd like to see Ben10 given a chance to cement a spot where he is. Either Mafi or Harvey to 12. I'd lean towards Mafi @ 12, he's on fire and nearly got us back in the hunt on Friday. Nalanga and Shepherd straight into the starting side. Stanley dropped and Samu Wara stays.

I really feel like things are almost ready to click for our backline, just a matter of getting the structure right.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, alfie to 12, seymor stays at 10, sheps to 15, wara and nala

10 seymour
    11 Nalaga
    12 Alfie
    13 Cummins
    14 Wara
    15 Sheps

harvey, dellit, holmes and perhaps stanley.

vCash
    Yeah, I am a supporter of the Alfi to 12 optin, but only if it isn't at the cost of having two ballplayers, we look too ineffective with only one.

Either Mafi at 12 and Harves at 15 or Harvey at 12...... You really can't keep Mafi out of the side, so I guess he'd take a wing with Shep in 15

C'mon the

vCash

Thumbs up

Then comes the question of Samu Wara, he's outplayed his countryman and would be in a similar boat to Alfi if they weren't able to play. I don't want to see good young blokes shafted to make way for big names without a bloody good chance that the big name is going to perform.
    Totally agree!!

vCash
    My choice for back line and why

9 Sheehan
    10 Ben seymour
    11 Sheps
    12 Mafi
    13 Honey Badger
    14 Wara
    15 Harvey

20 Holmes
    21 Dellit
    22 Nalaga

Why give Nalage the start I feel Wara has prefomed better than Nalaga and also I know sheps is good but let him come on as the 2nd strenght ( Nalaga and Dellit get told play well and ya might get the start next week Earn the start not just get it )

vCash
    Yep, I could roll with that
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    The first few games when Nalaga was on the wing the outside backs were starved of the ball. It's only been the last few games while Nalaga was injured that the backs have now been throwing it wide.

I'm still keen to see Nalaga get some opportunities with ball in hand.

I hope he does get selected and that we play an expansive game. I think he and the HB can create a bit of havoc out wide.

vCash
    Shepherd is easily the best FB to.play for us. Nalanga is a proven finisher too. Pick 'em in position and get the ball to them ASAP. Then do it again - all game. Don't kick posession away. Rugby is essentially simple. Keep the ball and run with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device