Thread: Western Force winger Samu Wara to inflict more pain on the Waratahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force winger Samu Wara to inflict more pain on the Waratahs

Jamie Pandaram The Daily Telegraph April 09, 2012 12:00am

Gold mine: Sam Wara was nearly lost to Australian rugby. Picture: Paul Kane.
    Source: Getty Images

THE man responsible for the Waratahs' most humiliating result this year was hours from giving up his professional rugby career to work in a mine.

Western Force winger Samu Wara, who scored the match-winning try against NSW in Sydney last month, has been forced to leave his family behind in Sydney as he seeks to establish a full-time career in Perth.

But Wara, planning to break NSW hearts twice in five weeks when the Force host the Tahs on Friday, could have easily been working at a mine in Orange with his uncle rather than crossing the paint at Allianz Stadium to give the Force a 21-20 win in round four. "I was offered an EPS (extended playing squad) contract at the Force, but that is not a lot of money so I was going to ask my uncle if he could hook me up with a job at a mine in Orange," father-of-three Wara told The Daily Telegraph.

Terrible Tahs hit a new low
    "I met my manager (Calum Morrison) and told him I wasn't going to play anymore, that I would work at the mines, and he said that I would have my whole life to work, but in 10 years' time I might look back and regret not having a go.

"I thought about that, and I knew I would regret it in 10 years, so I decided to give it one last go."

But that also meant leaving behind partner Sally and their three children Shanae (eight), Semi (two) and Summer (one), who now live with her mother in Port Macquarie, due to the uncertainty of his future which remains unclear beyond this season.

Wara, 26, was born and raised in Leichhardt and has ridden an extraordinary journey through league and union so far.

He was a junior representative at Wests Tigers before joining South Sydney's feeder club North Sydney Bears, where his long-range tries feature on YouTube.

Wara was supposed to have made his NRL debut for the Rabbitohs in 2008 against Newcastle but was told before the game they had reached their second-tier salary cap after blooding several rookies throughout the season. "They said they couldn't play me, I would have made my NRL debut that day," Wara said.

He lagged with the Bears for another season, before deciding to switch codes last year.

Brought to the Brumbies academy by then coach Andy Friend, Wara was told he could expect big opportunities, but when Friend was sacked weeks into the season Wara languished in the reserve team.

"I had relocated my family to Canberra, then there was no more opportunity for me at the Brumbies so we had to move back to Sydney," Wara said.

"When I decided to go to the Force I couldn't take my family because I didn't know if we would have to relocate again. It is tough at the moment because they are on the other side of Australia, but we Skype and call each other every day."

" I send back as much money as I can.

“I wouldn’t mind returning to league one day, but at the moment I am really enjoying rugby – I’ve only been playing it for two years.”

Due to a string of injuries, Wara activated a full-time contract with the Force with his third match – and first start – against the Waratahs.

“Hopefully I can make some money here and support my family and set up something for them after,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226321624717

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good on him - even when our injuries clear up, I'd keep him around - Nalaga hasn't proven himself yet and Wara's quick enough to cause defences problems.

But, Samu and Sally having kids Shanae, Semi and Summer? I suppose it saves on name-tags.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I suppoe it saves on name-tags
    But bloody confusing when they get a bit older and a dozen pieces of mail arrive all to S. Wara.

I like the way he's played so far. I hope for his family and our club that he thrives and they all stay here.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Nice story, sometimes in our disappointment after matches we forget some of the players actually have a lot more at stake, than us.

This kind of story gives me more heart and makes me even more determined to be there and continue to be the Force behind the force each and every game, win or lose, a proud member of the sea of blue since the Force's inception.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I like the way he's played so far. I hope for his family and our club that he thrives and they all stay here.
    Yeah he's been good. Speedy. And hopefully he will get better since he's not been long in union. It wouldn't be a bad thing for the Force to have some stability in the backs. Especially as we'll want some new inside backs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.