Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RETURNING FORCE SET FOR REDS

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

RETURNING FORCE SET FOR REDS

The Emirates Western Force is determined to make the most of a month long run at home starting with the reigning champion Reds on Saturday night. Following four of their first five matches away from home the West Australian’s now play four in Perth, a series that will have a significant impact on the shape of their season.

Coach Richard Graham has made a number of tactical adjustments while injuries from last weekend’s outing against the Rebels have also forced him to look at the make-up of the match-day squad.

Wallabies’ backrower Ben McCalman makes his return to the 22 after three weeks on the sidelines and will start on the substitutes bench with fellow international capped loose forward Richard Brown moving into the run-on side alongside the class of David Pocock and Matt Hodgson.

Experienced lock Toby Lynn will partner Nathan Sharpe in the second row after Sam Wykes was ruled out with an ankle injury while standout front rower Pek Cowan starts in his 50th match for the Emirates Western Force.

“It’s outstanding to see Pek reach 50 caps,” Graham said.

“What is really rewarding for the organisation is that seven of the club’s foundation players have now achieved that 50 game milestone and have been able to contribute significantly to the development of this young franchise.

“Pek is in superb form and his improvement and consistency this season alone has him playing his best rugby.”

In the backs Samu Wara will be given further opportunity on the wing after scoring a try in his starting debut a fortnight ago while Nick Cummins moves into the centres where his penetrating ball carry will be put to good use.

“Nick’s ability to break the line and give us go forward has been a consistent feature of his game and tactically that will assist us in the way we want to play against the Reds this weekend,” said Graham.

With young halfback Justin Turner (knee) and centre Will Tupou (hamstring) joining Wykes on the casualty list, exciting West Australian utility back Kyle Godwin has been selected in what will be his FxPro Super Rugby debut should he see game time. Fellow utility Ben Seymour, lock Phoenix Battye and hooker Elvis Taione have also been added to the substitutes as reward for their efforts with the Emirates Western A, including last week’s win against the Rebel Rising in Melbourne.

“It’s disappointing to lose Justin for two months however his absence creates an opportunity for another local youngster in Kyle to get his chance to break into Super Rugby,” Graham said.

“While injury creates disruption, in particular to building combinations, the fact that we’ve had these players in our programme training and learning throughout the pre-season, and with the Emirates Western Force A more recently, has allowed them to develop a really clear understanding of how we want to go about our performances.

“I’m confident in their ability to make a strong contribution on Saturday night.”

The round six match will be the second meeting between the sides this season following the Reds 15 point win in week two at Suncorp Stadium. The final margin belied the competitive nature of the clash with each side scoring two tries and only late penalty goals saw the result swing in favour of the home side.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 6
    Emirates Western Force v Queensland Reds
    Saturday, 31 March 2012 at nib Stadium
    Kick-off: 6.40pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Ma’afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Richard Brown
    7. David Pocock
    8. Matt Hodgson

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. James Stannard
    11. Alfie Mafi
    12. Winston Stanley
    13. Nick Cummins
    14. Samu Wara
    15. David Harvey

Reserves
    16. Elvis Taione
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Phoenix Battye
    19. Ben McCalman
    20. Ben Seymour
    21. Rory Sidey
    22. Kyle Godwin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    This is an absolute disgrace if Graham has dropped Cottrell out of the 22. I joked about it at the start of the week and it looks like he has actually done it.

The injuries are mounting up. What has happened to Whittaker, he hasnt had much of a run and now looks like he is dropped as well.

I don't like the look of this side. At least he has put Cummins to 13

vCash
    Dellit and Shephard both injured or just not selected ?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Shep is still not ready.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    He could have kept cotrell on the team and bring mccalman in for wykes. Bit disapointed about that. But will be good to see how Godwin goes and lets hope that RG actually uses his bench and we see one of these players at 10.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Also, I know this has been asked but don't remember seeing an answer.

What is the go with Fairbanks? Is he injured or what. Haven't seen his name in any of the A games, would have thought an experienced head could be good for our number 12 jumper. Otherwise, what is the point of him even being in the squad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post

What is the go with Fairbanks? Is he injured or what. Haven't seen his name in any of the A games, would have thought an experienced head could be good for our number 12 jumper. Otherwise, what is the point of him even being in the squad?
    He did something to his neck/back there was some Twitter action yesterday between him and Pek saying he is missing him and asking how to rehab going. So im guessing he is not around the club much these days.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    He did something to his neck/back there was some Twitter action yesterday between him and Pek saying he is missing him and asking how to rehab going. So im guessing he is not around the club much these days.
    Cheers. Sounds like he will probably end up playing the season for Cott then

Veteran
    vCash
    awww... cottrell didn't deseve to be dropped! he had an absolutely great game last week, he hasn't had a bad run really...

Cummins to 13! also, it'll be good to Kyle have a run.

vCash
    This is an absolute disgrace if Graham has dropped Cottrell out of the 22. I joked about it at the start of the week and it looks like he has actually done it.

The injuries are mounting up. What has happened to Whittaker, he hasnt had much of a run and now looks like he is dropped as well.

I don't like the look of this side. At least he has put Cummins to 13
    Cottrell's done OK, but he's got Pocock, Hodgo, Brownie and McCalman ahead of him in the pecking order; that's four wallabies. If all are fit, Cottrell's going to have to wait; but given the way injuries can mount up, and maybe the need to rest players, I don't think he'll be in the stands for long.

I've not heard anything about Whittaker being injured; IIRC he didn't play in Melbourne. Maybe the coaches wanted to give Taione some game time, although I'm not sure if I'd have chosen the reigning champions as the team to blood him against. The Reds are carrying significant injuries, though. Maybe the thinking is to bring him on when the Reds bring their reserve hooker on, but that's a dangerous plan for me - Charles could get injured in the first minute.

I like the look of the side. The pack's more than a match for the injured Reds and while Sheehan and Stannard have had a couple of poor games, their experience will be useful. As long as Graham was bluffing about the kicking game earlier in the week, or has given Cummins, Mafi & Wara instructions to chase down every kick, we should be capable of matching the Reds in the backs.

Looking forward to a home win!

vCash

I believe that Gene Fairbanks had a back injury and has recently has recently undergone surgery for it.

vCash
    Just an FYI as I know there was a a post in the shout box about it last time:

Midland Line trains from Bassendean to Midland are not running this weekend, and there are replacement bus services.

Make sure you leave lots of time so you don't miss kick-off if you're using this train line!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Cottrell's done OK, but he's got Pocock, Hodgo, Brownie and McCalman ahead of him in the pecking order; that's four wallabies. If all are fit, Cottrell's going to have to wait; but given the way injuries can mount up, and maybe the need to rest players, I don't think he'll be in the stands for long.
    I just think he should be picking players on form and not reputation. Cottrell outplayed Brown last week and McCalman has been injured so should have returned via the A team (if they have a game?) There is no need to change the forward pack, the backs are clearly the problem

Rookie
    vCash
    Cotterell is part of the extended playing squad[EPS] which in theory means he can only be selected if there are injuries in his area/position. By ARU rules, with all loose forwards fit,he has to drop out of the 22. Take it up with the ARU.

vCash
    The way those other 4 mad dogs throw themselves into it, injuries are inevitable. Angus will see plenty of game time. If only the choices were as tough in the back dept.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast