Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nearly all over for the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Good idea but whose going to give him the ball?
    Shift Nalaga to 10

Oh wait.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    More of a concern what about next year? Stannard gone, Sheehan gone and Turner injury prone. Who are our next halves going to be?

Now we need to recruit for next year:

2-3 Scrumhalves
    2-3 Flyhalves
    2 Inside Centres
    2 Fullbacks

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    2-3 Scrumhalves
    Yeah. Scrumhalf is our next big problem position. I wonder if Pat McCarthy will make the EPS next year. My understanding is that Nic Berry is off contract at London Wasps. There is a big hole behind Will Genia that needs filling. Otherwise we might have to go for a development or foreign marquee player. South Africa might be a good place to look there. They produce some very good 9s.

2-3 Flyhalves
    It would be a total waste of our time if we didn't persevere with both Kyle Godwin and Ben Seymour. Stability is more important than excellent and we'll continue to have fly-half problems until we stick with some guys for a couple of years. Who would have had Quade Cooper or Kurtley Beale in their team in 2007 or 2008? Off field behaviour aside, who would have them in their teams now?

We should look at recruiting 1 good fly-half with a fair bit of experience under the belt.

2 Inside Centres
    I can't see Gene Fairbanks being re-signed so we'll definitely need one. I know just about everyone else thinks he sucks but I think Winston Stanley will come good some time soon. Whether he stays at 12 or 13 is hard to say. I quite like Rory Sidey too- one dimensional as he is.

2 Fullbacks
    I think Cameron Shepherd's time is up, much as it pains me to say it. With the new salary caps, you can't afford to be paying for a player who can't play. Especially since Cam will be getting some good coin. We'll definitely need someone there. It'd be good to have one of your Ben Lucas style play-making 10s. Pat Dellit and Alfie Mafi make pretty good backup options there.

But yeah. At least 5 new backs.

Last edited by James; 27-03-12 at 12:15.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I think Cameron Shepherd's time is up, much as it pains me to say it. With the new salary caps, you can't afford to be paying for a player who can't play. Especially since Cam will be getting some good coin. We'll definitely need someone there.

But yeah. At least 5 new backs.
    I was already thinking along those lines in my original post. If Cam cant string 4 consecutive games together this season then can the club afford to have him on the roster for next year? Agree that Pat and Alfie are adequate cover at 15.

If Kyle and Ben don't get a decent run at 10 this year how will we ever know if they are going to show the potential required at this level to develop into a Super rugby level player.

I think we have enough players at 13 who have demonstrated the ability and promise to not have to worry to much.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wykes out for 2 - 3 weeks

JT out for 1 or 2 weeks

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    2-3 Scrumhalves
    Mark. Freaking. Swanepol.

I'm still raging we let that one slip, he and Stannard were a fantastic combination at the tail of last season.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion
    vCash
    You look at the players who have come and gone without giving them an opportunity.. The list is as long as your arm and now showing the force coaching and selectors where they went wrong.. Here's my start, people can add to the list also..

Adam clarke - ok injury prone but still not given a chance
    Mark swanapoel
    Scott durada
    Brock James
    Lachlan mackay- same comments as clarkey
    Dane haylett perry
    Scott fardy
    Luke holmes
    Stefano hunt
    Chris young
    Jono Jenkins
    Ted postal
    Joe rapana
    Timana sitaliki

And this list will only get longer when the high rarky at the force stop selecting "favourites".

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    who,on that list,has gone on to greater things?
    apart from,perhaps,Brock james

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Mark swanapoel

Brock James

Timana sitaliki

These are the only ones that have done anything, Sitaleki we only lost as we could not sort out a visa for him but the Brumbies managed to, Yes James has excelled in France, we did give him two years and he did not set the world alight, French top 14 not the same level as Super 15 and better suited to his kicking game. Mark not sure about him, played in NZ but not picked up by any franchise played a few games for crusaders when Ellis, Heinz and I forget the other chap that were not available, also their season was shortened with an extra bench player and a lot more games in a shorter period due to RWC.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    who,on that list,has gone on to greater things?
    apart from,perhaps,Brock james

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Scott durada
    Dane haylett perry
    Luke holmes
    Chris young
    These boys weren't exactly short of minutes, Daruda was used as injury cover and saw a lot of time before Giteau contracted his way into the 10 jumper. Dane got a fair chance, but didn't seem to set the world alight, Luke Holmes was bench hooker for about two years once Canno retired and Chrisso got 20 minutes a match for about 4 years.......I'd reckon you can take four names off your list benny

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    I understand the criticism but were missing the point, either that or my engrish is sh1t.

We are now talking within ourselves that we need XX number of players here and there, if we continued to develop some of the players on 'my' list they Could of been some decent "bench" players, not stars but the revolving door seems to happen all too much in our backlines. never someone is with us for a long period of time.. if we treated them well we could have the depth now.

vCash
    Yeah, I get where you're going, but in the case of the four you talked about, Chrisso retired, so he doesn't really count and I thought the others were given that chance and let go appropriately. I'd suggest that there are plenty of names we could throw about to prove what you're saying (digby, inman, in hindsight, a couple of others) but not everyone who has left has gone on to greater things an some cases, like fards, we made the right decision to move somebody who is obviously capable of playing at this level in favour of retaining prospects who are better.
    In short, lament the mistakes, but it hasn't been all mistake.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'd say out biggest mistake wasn't letting someone go.
    It was bringing IN giteau. He was the start of the superhero complex. And he caused us to miss out on developing players. Also JO'C has to cop some of this for the Way he handled his re-negotiations and his ego. We'd have him
    @ 10 hands down if his arse wasn't jealous of the amount of shit that comes out his mouth
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Yes James has excelled in France, we did give him two years and he did not set the world alight, French top 14 not the same level as Super 15 and better suited to his kicking game. .
    Brock James played behind a young developing pack trying to find their feet. Any half combo would struggle playing with a inferior pack. WOuld love to see how him and henjack would perform behind our current awesome pack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast