• Over the top

11 73.33%
  • Great for ratings

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australian Super Rugby commentators

vCash

Australian Super Rugby commentators

The commentating during the Force/tahs game was sickeningly one sided and in saying that I thing that apart from Cannon the current commentators sucks. Maybe we should start a petition to ask for better commentators

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i thought they were great... as soon as the Tahs started effing up they started giving them stick... the crowd wasnt too kind either, but saying that they were terribly biased earlier in the game.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Aren't they always? Remember they are a Sydney TV crew using their position to support their team.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have always liked Kearnesy, as a player and commentator, but last nights display was pretty disgraceful. They need to remember they are commentating to a National (and International for that matter) audience. It isn't a Sydney broadcast.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sports commentary in Australia has never been impartial. It doesn't matter which sport or whether it is a domestic or international match, the commentators are always more supportive of one side and their comments reflect this partiality. I would also suggest that commentators are sometimes selected to be antagonistic - either towards each other or to get the audience worked up.

The FoxSports rugby commentators are particularly prone to siding with one of the three original 'east coast' Aussie teams in Super rugby. Their comments regarding the Force are driven also by the failure of the Force to perform in most of their matches over almost seven years. This trait is not reserved for the Force - for example, Greg Martin described the Highlanders as "a bunch of no-names" a couple of seasons ago.

This situation if highly unlikely to change. The commentators are mostly ex-players for NSW, Qld and ACT. The overwhelming majority of the FoxSports audience is based in those three states. And there is the old rivalry between NSW and Qld the persists with some deference shown to the ACT since they used to be a very successful competitor.

I just turn down the volume on the tv when it gets too annoying.

On the other hand, it is somewhat embarrassing when there are visitors from overseas, particularly the UK, that are exposed to the morons that pass as commentators in Australia.

Champion
    vCash
    I didn't thunk Phil was that bad last night.. I've seen and heard worst from Phil when force have playd tahs. But can't say the same about th pensioner in th box ( clarkey)... When the force were winning by 2 points. He said "oh hope we have a repeat of the reds and tahs game" and at the beginning "force have never beaten the tahs lts see it continue tonight at sfs". But then ( I can't remember of it was kearns or Martin) who said remember they also haven't lost at sfs ground either...

Suck it up all you tahts....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The pub I was watching the game in had no sound, so I don't know what Kearnsey said, but it isn't hard to imagine. Makes the win even sweeter. And it explains the win a bit I think. The Tahs have a bit of a rotten culture, a bit like the Auckland Blues, that you see a bit of in Kearnsey. That kind of disrespect for the opposition where they think all they need to do is turn up to win.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    For sure, Kearnsey had bias early on but to be fair he took it on the chin in the post match comments EXCEPT for their disallowed try where Sidey was blatantly obstructed by Horne.

I'm with benny - it's Greg Clarke that gets under my skin. He just loves dishing out every negative stat he can find about TWF (and yes, there's plenty..) and puts the boot in when ever he can. As anchor he should should be totally neutral. Out of all the S15 commentators I think kiwi Grant Nisbett is the most unbiased match caller and that's hard to say..

vCash
    I actually don't mind Phil Kearns, he seems to be pretty good, natured and tongue in cheek with his Tah bias, Rod Kafer is my biggest bugbear, he sprouts complete shit, but is lauded to all as the greatest rugby brain since Billy Webb-Ellis.

Marto drops the odd flanger, but isn't too offensive and I just refuse to listen to Greg Clarke.

For good unbiased commentary, listen to the South Africans, if you can get over them mispronouncing EVERY bloody name, they are pretty good.

C'mon the

vCash
    Greg Martin is the biggest problem for me, Kafe does my head in. The rest are managable. Cannon is the least biased of them all, and he somehow always seems to make a dig a Kafe very subtly, which I love But I haven't watched the game yet, so will see. Kearnsey forever reminds everyone of the importance of hookers, which goes a long way in my book

I used to have quite a passionate hate for the whole lot, aside from Cannon, but watching the Brand O'Connor segement on the rugby club the other week, I've mellowed a little. But they are ridiculous, a lot of the time.

South African commentary is best, but only for the sexy accents

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    i thought they were great... as soon as the Tahs started effing up they started giving them stick... the crowd wasnt too kind either, but saying that they were terribly biased earlier in the game.

You must have missed the post game waaah fest between kearnsey and drew mitchell

vCash
    The only time kearnsey and Marto are great is when its a wallabies game. They annoy the hell out of the kiwis even more, which a a good thing.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pretty sure I have never heard the South African accent called "sexy" before!

Nisbo has to be neutral SinBin, he sits next to that fuckin retard Mexted.
    I don't mind TJ either.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Foxtel did have an option to turn off the commentary, and only hear the crowd and the ref - unfortunately that went missing somewhere along the line.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That would be a good option!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast