Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Dig for the Day

Champion
    vCash

My Dig for the Day

As the subject line says. been thinking (I know it hurts this early) but here goes.

Whats the difference between a Government worker and the Western Force players.

Rather nothing, in my eyes, as a government worker myself. I come to work, I get paid for it. If I do a sh1t job or a good job I'm still here week in week out as they have no one to replace me.

Now think of it from a Western Force players perspective. At least half of our squad there is no backups or depth in the positions, so if injuries occur and poor performances continue... who cares... the players dont as they know on the Wednesday PM training session there names are going to be called out. Okay the squad of 33 is allowed only not much room for a large expansion but when you have the likes of Pocock - Brown - Hodgson - Cottrell - Mac - why do we need any more flankers or #8s when we know these players are going to put in 100% week in week out (as seen not only this year but also since our first game) And our main positions of #9 - #10 - #12 + #13 we have no backups or depth in the squad...

As mentioned in another post.. Its hard to get experienced and named players here who are still at the peak of there career when they want "W"s in the column and continue to enjoy rugby.. We aren't getting that and as soon as the EWF wake up to themselves the sooner this will happen.

We should be going back to the likes of the 90s and even to the Northern Hempishere pay structure. Give everyone a base salary of $X and then match fees for selection and win bonuses.. Then we'll see who wants to play and who doesn't...

Look at our marque players since the gates were opened. Pretious (okay injured but continued to be paid even when he was in SAFFALAND getting glued back together) Ripia (waste of money and was only here for the money) Nala (here for the money ONLY!!) Smith (give him what he wants...he has his house still in Subiaco)

Just my dig for the day...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Hiya Benny

In my honest opinion you seem to have a pretty harsh view of the world. Fair enough - after 7 years of average results from our team its pretty easy to get disheartened. I don't blame you. After that last game It would be very easy to see the glass as half empty and want to dramatic changes.

I must admit - As I am without the benefit of Foxtel at home I have been suffering with streaming radio broadcasts from either the ABC or 6PR. So I dont have the benefit of the visual reference.

from reading your post you get the impression that there are some players that are spending some quality time knuckle deep trying to hook a crusty one from their left nostril or spending some serious time adjusting there testicles to make sure they are just right while the ball goes floating past them. IF that is the case - I agree lets get rid of them right now.

I just find it very hard to believe that there is one player not giving their very best for our team. We are talking about professional sportsman - do you honestly believe that if they were doing that - other teams wouldn't notice that as well?

Lets look at make believe player Brad Austin. player for the Western Force - outside centre. plays with us for 2 years. but doesn't try that hard - doesn't commit to tackles in case his hair gets messed up and has a large percentage of dropped ball when it looks like he might be tackled by large Kiwi or Saffa opponents.

So Brad and his manager travel to Brisbane to have a meeting with Linc and the Queensland Reds Team Management. The first question they ask is - so for the last 2 years you have played for the Force, to me it looks like you didn't give 100% for every game. Brad says - well I was playing for the Force - its ok - I would never do that playing for you guys. Thats about the time when Linc and the Reds management walk out the door saying - you aren't the type of player we are looking for.

We are talking about professional sportsmen. Every statistic and highlight and lowlight is on their resume for all to see. Contract negotiations are like a job interviews.

Lets give them a little bit more credit.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    As the subject line says. been thinking (I know it hurts this early) but here goes.

Whats the difference between a Government worker and the Western Force players.

Rather nothing, in my eyes, as a government worker myself. I come to work, I get paid for it. If I do a sh1t job or a good job I'm still here week in week out as they have no one to replace me.
    This guy...

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Hiya Benny

In my honest opinion you seem to have a pretty harsh view of the world. Fair enough - after 7 years of average results from our team its pretty easy to get disheartened. I don't blame you. After that last game It would be very easy to see the glass as half empty and want to dramatic changes.

Lets give them a little bit more credit.
    Exile, I'm not asking for the players to Win every week, week in week out, what I am after is 85 minutes. 3 weeks in a row, both Sharpie & Poey have come out after the game and said "okay we played well for 50 - 60 - 70 minutes" It doesn't take a rocket scientist or RG to tell the players that its 80 minutes of game time..

I'm getting annoyed at being to each home game, in the terraces, waiting and hoping to watch a good performance, and major of the time I'm leaving seeing a decline in performance instead of an improvement.

To be frank, I dont care if we lose 50 to 49 as long as we've played well and taken it up to the opposition. This year we have played sh1t, 3 weeks in a row with no excuses or reasoning.

We have teams like the Reds, 5 years ago they were the wipping boys. a new coach and same players have taken them to "world beaters" what have we done in 5 years.. zip - nothing - narda, apart from a new coach, and worst results.

Okay I may have a pretty harsh view on the world but more important hard view on the Force, its my team and if they keep playing sh1t ill watch the games from my armchair and be quiet on the forum and EWF world in general.

Rookie
    vCash
    I think what Benny trying to say is our players especially back almost have the certainty to play in the weekend (you can say sitting comfortably in the comfort zone) and no one pushing them hard enough.

We just need to have a tougher culture -> not perform -> not playing -> giving a chance for different/younger player (eventhough applying this to current squad is a bit hard due to considerable gap in experience so I think RG is reluctant to bench our player because he knows that even the yourger player performs, he would play at the level of not-so-perform senior player, so he would face the dillema if that young player does not perform -> the overall team would play in even lower level

Simple solution: really really build some depth, invest and try to poach promising star, crossing finger they wouldn't become another JUDAS

vCash
    Due to the nature of the beast, we do not have sufficient talent to call on locally and rely on the eastern States. Any player would want to play closer to home first, therefore the talent we get with no disrespect to the palyers would be the bulk of players on Super 15 fringe, with hopefully a couple of shining lights along the way like Pockock, O Connor to name but two.

These guys are giving 100% of what they got however, its not enough to match other teams talent and players and they have to give 100% plus a bit more which realistically you canm only do for 40 to 50 minutes, therefore unless we catch the other team on an off day, we are going to struggle to win in this league.

That said and done I am only too happy that we have rugby in Perth, I can watch some of the best players against our guys live and in the flesh, and am extremely greatful that we got the franchise here and continue to have. Remember the days pre Super 14, and lets back our boys or should I say the boys willing to come across and help us out.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    the players are here, they just need a better game plan and patterns of play, execution of basic skills(tackling). These players do not become bad players overnight - there's a small margin for error as Sharpie alluded to in his column this week.
    As one who have watched them with interest for the last 7 years it is disheartening at times to see what is being dished up. However I know RG, Stilesy, Blakey, Scotts and Mitch Hardy work their butts off but it is not them who plays - the players just have to execute a wee bit better. Last week against the canes the EWF scored all the 1st 1/2 points by mistakes or good play both ways - as I've consistnetly said in this forum before
    the EWF players on the park need to cut down errors, lift their effective tackling percentages and execute attacking play with depth instead of this incessant static slow recycling. Also get the ball to Shepherd, Mafi, Nalagi and Cummins with more time and space and watch them go - they are the equal as potential match winners as any other back 3 in the S15
    They will need to do this against the tahs, because they are very good at contact situations

vCash
    Win or lose, I'll always support the Force. We are lucky to even have a Super Rugby team in this great state of ours!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    I think we need to all get out of the habit of saying "..... after seven years"

Every year we have a new squad, yes, some players have been around longer than others but we cannot keep referring to "... after seven years", it is only us and the team itself, the players themselves bar a few have not been around that long, and those that hace give their heart and soul Hodgo, Sharpie, Pockock to name but a few.

With the Reds on the improve last year it is getting harder and harder for us to draw the best talent over here, only money will do that and the sponsors have a limit.

Lets be realistic we are fighting against the odds, we have no ARC, or like at second tier, our club rugby is not up to Sydney standards, but lets apprecaite what we have and cherish it for what it is worth. I like most of you love rugby and want to see it here irrespective of what we are humstrung by, and like those teams always in the relation zones in the EPL (Soccer: English Premier League) lets show oour teamn the same passion and heart, as it is ours and no one elses irrespective of who plays in it.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    there are some players that are spending some quality time knuckle deep trying to hook a crusty one from their left nostril

you paint a vivid picture ..... thanks for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

Nala (here for the money ONLY!!)

A bit harsh ... a winger needs some clean ball to show what he can do ... I think by seasons end we will be glad he signed on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I think we need to all get out of the habit of saying "..... after seven years"

Every year we have a new squad, yes, some players have been around longer than others but we cannot keep referring to "... after seven years", it is only us and the team itself, the players themselves bar a few have not been around that long, and those that hace give their heart and soul Hodgo, Sharpie, Pockock to name but a few.

With the Reds on the improve last year it is getting harder and harder for us to draw the best talent over here
    After seven years that is not a valid excuse!

We've had the best talent here, for the last 3-4 years we've had one of the best backlines on paper but they never clicked.

After seven years you'd think the coaching staff (all of them) would learn, but after seven years they continue to make the same mistakes.

We hire a new flyhalf so what do we do? Move one of our top form players who's a fullback to the wing, and move the flyhalf to fullback - After seven years you'd think they must've been smoking crack the entire time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    After seven years that is not a valid excuse!

We hire a new flyhalf so what do we do? Move one of our top form players who's a fullback to the wing, and move the flyhalf to fullback - After seven years you'd think they must've been smoking crack the entire time.
    New flyhalf would have started on the bench if Sheps was fit, he is not therefore, Harvey can play flyhalf or full back, Chucky already at flyhalf, so move new guy to fullback, as Mafi is a wing after all play him on the wing, makes sense to me. No problem with what RG has done.

By the way last 3/4 years besides Gits/ Mitchell and JOC not many made the Wallabies so our backline while better in the past was not the best in the land and at that stage forwards were weaker and we have worked on that.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    A bit harsh ... a winger needs some clean ball to show what he can do ... I think by seasons end we will be glad he signed on.
    Toddy, watch is highlights from playing in France, and he "went searching for the ball" and not waiting for the ball to come out to him that hasn't happened.

If were paying him the marque wage I want more involvement from him. If need be play him in the centres (i know it sounds wild) but whats the difference in this wild call than what RG is selecting at the moment.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    New flyhalf would have started on the bench if Sheps was fit, he is not therefore, Harvey can play flyhalf or full back, Chucky already at flyhalf, so move new guy to fullback, as Mafi is a wing after all play him on the wing, makes sense to me. No problem with what RG has done.

By the way last 3/4 years besides Gits/ Mitchell and JOC not many made the Wallabies so our backline while better in the past was not the best in the land and at that stage forwards were weaker and we have worked on that.
    Tazz, you happy to sit and watch the decline in recent years ??

Ill add my disagreement in the selection. Whats the difference in having Alfie @ FB (where he did well against Brumbies & Reds) and push Sam Wara to the wing (where he played briefly against Brumbies) and have Harvey sitting on the bench, bring him on at 50th minute and push Chucky to 9. Meaning we can have a Paddy Dellit or Deanan Kemp on the bench instead of Justin Turner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast