Thread: Stannard sayonara leaves hole

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stannard sayonara leaves hole

Stannard sayonara leaves hole
    BY: BRET HARRIS From: The Australian March 09, 2012 12:00AM

Force's James Stannard is expected to move to Japan after his Super Rugby commitments are over. Source: Getty Images
    WESTERN Force's search for a new five-eighth will intensify when stand-in No 10 James Stannard leaves Perth at the end of the season to play in Japan.

It is understood Stannard has agreed to terms with a Japanese club and has sought an early release from his contract so he can move to Japan as soon as his Super Rugby commitments are over.

Primarily a halfback, Stannard is filling in at five-eighth for the Force this year after the team was left without an experienced playmaker following the departures of James O'Connor and New Zealander Willie Ripia.

O'Connor, who is the Wallabies' five-eighth, is now playing inside centre for Melbourne Rebels. And Ripia resigned from the Force in December over allegations he had stolen from teammates. That left Stannard and rookie Ben Seymour as Force's five-eighth options.

The Force is looking for an emerging foreign player to replace Ripia.

While the Force may be able to get through this season with Stannard at five-eighth, it must recruit a new playmaker for next year.

Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper is out of contract at the end of the year and the Force would love to lure him to Perth.

But a more realistic option may be Brumbies inside back Christian Lealiifano, who the Force is believed to be looking at closely.

The recruitment of Lealiifano would enable the Force to use its emerging foreign player vacancy on a position other than inside back.

There was speculation this week Force coach Richard Graham may go with Stannard at halfback and start Seymour at five-eighth against the Hurricanes in Perth tonight, but he stuck with the Brett Sheehan/Stannard combination.

When Stannard switched to halfback in the second half of the Force's 35-20 loss to Queensland in Brisbane last Saturday night, he increased the tempo of the team's play.

But Graham was disappointed with his team's tactics in the final 20 minutes, influencing him to again start with the experienced pairing of Sheehan and Stannard.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226294054501

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Can't blame him. I think he's done all thats been asked of him while he's been in a force jersey. Good luck to him and all the best!

vCash

At least he has the balls to tell the club

Well done Chucky you have given the West Australian rugby fans some good rugby and at least you are not holding out for more from the Force

Up front and honest well done Chucky

Champion
    vCash
    Chucky, Your a credit to the Western Force... here's my 20 seconds of the "chucky review / thoughts":

Good Team Player who puts the club before anything and anyone else.. was the 3rd string player when he came across from Sunnybank (or at least a QRU club) behind Durada & Henjak. then was let go as we had Adam Clarke come on board. Went to Brumbies and 7s and we were calling out for a new #9.. Chucky answered the SOS and came back, then last year we had NO ONE to be number #10, Judas wanted to put himself 1st, Shep was injured and Ripia was a waste of time, Chucky once again stepped up to me the man, We lost to the Canes by a point in Palmerston north and did what was expected of him and the club almost came away with a win.
    He's done more than all our previous #10s have done combined. Okay I might have made some negative comments in the past of his game or play but I ask this question to all the TWF family.

WHO ELSE HAVE DONE WHAT CHUCKY HAS DONE FOR THE FORCE (in his shoes and how they have treated him - as seen by my previous comments) I can answer that on 1 hand... maybe Sharpie, BAM and Hodgo not many more players in our exception to the Super rugby competition.

NOW MY PICK/RANT...

I love parts of the article,written by the eastern seaboard tossa's.
    "Stannard is filling in at five-eighth for the Force after the team was left without an experienced playmaker that included James O'Connor and New Zealander Willie Ripia"

Ripia was ere for another stamp on his passport, deffinately wasn't for the game of rugby that we needed him ere for. What 1 kick to win us the game against the Rabbles doesn't make him a playmaker at 5/8 & Judas was the 1 man band only thinking of his golden locks and no c....k (sorry had to be a smart ass)

Last edited by benny; 09-03-12 at 06:45.

Champion
    vCash
    I know i may be shooting from the hip, But lets get D Haylett-Perry as our winger for the '13 season, and have a marque player as our #10.. as our game plan under RG doesnt get the ball out to the winger. Last year Honey Badger & Smith went searching for the ball. Nallaaaaa wants the ball given to him. 2 to be honest we need a classy #9 & #10 our pack is world beaters our backline isn't up to Super 15 season, week in week out.

And for the option of looking @ Lelefanio (in my opinon) will be another fill in at the best (played most of his career at centre, with more than a handful at fly) We have seen in the past what were like @ hiring players who "can make it" as per the recommendations from the coaching committee and players, but "DONT MAKE IT".
    We might as well the likes of Johnny Wilkinson or one of the welsh or irish flys for a year or two at the max and continue to interact and develop Seymour or our young bregade.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think that's a bad idea. Any fly-half signing that is for 1 year isn't worth our time. It has to be a two year minimum. Otherwise it is just another stop gap measure and our backline won't improve. Willie Ripia didn't have to be great, he had to be stable. Which he wasn't. Ignoring the stealing from teammates, he spent half of last season injured and came back undercooked.

I think the Reds backline is so good because the key players have been around for a long time now. Cooper and Genia have been in the team since 07 as well as Digby and Benny Lucas since 08. That is the backbone of their backline.

We need to pick someone stable. Perhaps even two stable players. There are plenty off contract. Save the marquee spot for a full back or a 12 who is capable of playing 10 when our next crisis happens.

Would like to see DHP back though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The West mentioned David Harvey getting a run for Force A in the curtain raiser, his name come up before when Ripia issue first surfaced.

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Ganbatte Kudasi, Chucky-san!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    We need to sign a 9, 10 and a 12 for next year, end of story. Those 3 positions we are very weak and the rest of the backline doesn't matter if we can't get that right.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    As I mentioned when the whole Ripia saga happened, I believe we have the "new rabbit" a schoolboy flyhalf from Queensland earmarked for 2013 long term.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    As I mentioned when the whole Ripia saga happened, I believe we have the "new rabbit" a schoolboy flyhalf from Queensland earmarked for 2013 long term.
    Yeah. Which is where the 2 year marquee comes in handy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Do we need him though? I mean if he is 17 now, surely it will take at least another 3 years before he is ready to take the reins. Kyle Godwin should be good enough and he's what 20 this year? We need someone like Lealiifano, Halangahu, Ben Lucas, etc. Experience under the belt and capable of doing the job here and now.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Chucky, Your a credit to the Western Force... here's my 20 seconds of the "chucky review / thoughts":

Good Team Player who puts the club before anything and anyone else..

WHO ELSE HAVE DONE WHAT CHUCKY HAS DONE FOR THE FORCE (in his shoes and how they have treated him - as seen by my previous comments) I can answer that on 1 hand... maybe Sharpie, BAM and Hodgo not many more players in our exception to the Super rugby competition.
    Haven't you overlooked Brownie? IMHO!

Last edited by hertryk; 09-03-12 at 13:48.