Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Key inclusions for Force

vCash

Key inclusions for Force

Emirates Western Force coach Richard Graham has added significant experience and class to his line-up for the club’s first home match of 2012 with the inclusion of Wallabies capped pair Richard Brown and Cameron Shepherd as well as emerging star Sam Wykes.

Graham has made four changes to his 22 man squad for Friday’s clash against the Hurricanes at nib Stadium with exciting young halfback Justin Turner joining the returning Brown, Shepherd and Wykes.

Brown, who has been itching to get back onto the field after shoulder surgery in the off-season, will start in the six jersey with Matt Hodgson moving into No8 to replace Ben McCalman who has been ruled out of the game with a shoulder injury.

“Richard was really diligent with his rehabilitation and has been back training for some time. He was able to get some match practise last weekend with the Perth Gold side and we are confident he’ll be a strong contributor in the backrow,” Coach Richard Graham said.

Local West Australian prop Kieran Longbottom has made a straight swap with Pek Cowan to move into the starting loosehead spot while Rory Sidey has been recalled to the run-on XV and will play alongside Patrick Dellit in a big centre pairing.

Shepherd, the club’s all-time leading try scorer, will give the Emirates Western Force not only a quality attacking option but his long range kicking and ability to read the game will be an added bonus.

“I felt as though Cameron’s communication and organisation would be important for the side and certainly assist James Stannard in the playmaker role,” Graham said.

After a fortnight on the road the Emirates Western Force will step out in front of their home fans for the first time in 2012 and, after mixed results in WA over the last few seasons, are determined to make the ground a fortress.

There is also further motivation with inspirational second rower Nathan Sharpe set to play his 150th FxPro Super Rugby match, the first person in history to achieve the mark.

“Whilst Sharpie isn’t one to talk about or highlight those milestones, he has been very important for the organisation since day one of the Emirates Western Force and I think people will want to come and support him,” Graham said.

“The players are aware of the milestone. We talked about it in one of our team meetings just to recognise the fact. The players have a lot of respect for Sharpie and I’m sure are motivated to do well for him and Sharpie is certainly motivated to do well for us as a group.

“Turning our performances into winning form at home is something that we’ve needed to address and we’ve certainly targeted that this year. The sides that are most successful are the ones that do well at home and this Friday night is a really important game for us,” Graham said.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 3
    Emirates Western Force v Hurricanes
    Friday, 9 March 2012 at nib Stadium
    Kick-off 7.05pm AWST
    1. Kieran Longbottom
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Ma'afu
    4. Toby Lynn
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Richard Brown
    7. David Pocock (Captain)
    8. Matt Hodgson

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. James Stannard
    11. Napolioni Nalaga
    12. Rory Sidey
    13. Patrick Dellit
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Pek Cowan
    18. Sam Wykes
    19. Angus Cottrell
    20. Justin Turner
    21. Ben Seymour
    22. Alfie Maf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Alfie Mafi didn't deserve to get dropped

Cummins is wasted on the wing. I think it's time he moved to 13

Center is a massive problem for us. No go forward, no creativity, no penetration..........no tries

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Longarse for Pek is interesting, must be either a planned rotation or Pek is carrying a niggle as he has had two awesome matches so far.
    Here's hoping after such a long lay off that Brownie is up for a Wallaby debut type effort.
    Coming back from injury he may on get 50-60 which wouldn't be a bad thing as am keen to see some more of Cottrell, he was impressive last week.
    Agreed it is pretty tough on Alfie, didn't do much wrong last week, but can only hope it is a selection based on a week of training competition rather than reputation.
    I think individually our Centre pair have an enourmous amount of potential, the trouble is trying to carry them both with an average (meant in the nicest possible way) Flyhalf and a pack not always generating clean ball.
    If either individual was to play in the Reds backline I am confident they would shine off good clean ball.
    Probably a bigger concern is with the lack of suitable forwards capable of the big hit up. Sharpe will grow a leg in his milestone and Lynn will give a journeyman effort, but we are lacking that more mobile bigman like a Samo or Palu.
    That said, I still believe that they will get up this week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Our forwards steam rolled the Hurricanes pack last year. They were making metres at will close to the ruck. Sharpie was like a steam engine. The Hurricanes aren't as good as last year either.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Our forwards steam rolled the Hurricanes pack last year. They were making metres at will close to the ruck. Sharpie was like a steam engine. The Hurricanes aren't as good as last year either.
    Tell that to the stormers

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Alfie Mafi didn't deserve to get dropped
    Cummins is wasted on the wing. I think it's time he moved to 13
    Center is a massive problem for us. No go forward, no creativity, no penetration..........no tries
    Mafi at 12 and Cummins at 13 ???

The current combination is crap so why not try something a bit radical ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    Mafi at 12 and Cummins at 13 ???

The current combination is crap so why not try something a bit radical ?
    I was thinking this exact thing today. Mafi seen so be quick and with good ball skills. Only thing I'm not so sure about it his defense.

But who are we kidding RG would never try anything like this... Remember he is the bloke who pigeon holed JOC as a winger and nothing more.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'll throw a smokie at you

Shepherd 10, Mafi 15

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    I'll throw a smokie at you

Shepherd 10, Mafi 15
    Good one Ethicist!! Now we are going to have to shoot you before the Canes find out.

vCash
    Kiwis aren't too clever bro

Don't sweat it

vCash
    Sheehan of after 30min Stannard to 9 Ben Seymour to 10 Sheps won't play a full game he will come of early first half with Mafi replacing him

vCash
    i'd have called it at about 50 minutes. gives mafi a decent run.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Didn't mafi pulled up sore after one run back in last weekends game? I seen him hobble a bit maybe this is why shep is starting

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Mafi will get good game time. In fact the major difference in this side is the strength we have on the bench. And we'll need it too - the Canes are a fit side. We'll see most of the bench on by 50mins.

Carn Force!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast