Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Sharpe: Home where the heart is

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe: Home where the heart is

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    March 7, 2012, 6:59 am

Our first home game of the year has us brimming with excitement as we take on the Hurricanes at nib Stadium on Friday night.

I have been asked what playing in my 150th game of Super Rugby will mean to me and to be honest, at this stage, not a great deal.

After the disappointing loss to the Reds, where we could have produced so much more, there are far more important things to focus on come Friday night.

For now it is all about winning at home this weekend in front of our sea of blue.

Perhaps in four months when I have hung the boots up I will look back at the milestone fondly.

That first game for the Force was pretty special. It was a big moment for the State, for the city and for all the guys that came across to be involved.

Our first home win at Subiaco in our second year was definitely a highlight, but it is the people I've played with and the people I've met along the way that are the real standouts for me.

Rugby is well and truly alive and kicking this year. Some of the New Zealand conference games have been outstanding and at this early stage of the season you would have to think the Kiwi teams have embraced an exciting brand of rugby and are producing some dynamic displays.

When you compare this season with the same stage last season, the same number of tries have been scored - 50 to be precise.

However, where rugby has been kicking goals this year is the fact that there have been 109 converted penalties compared to 73 at the end of week two in 2011.

Teams who don't play at the right end of the field are being punished for their indiscretions far more frequently.

We started the game last week against the Reds with a good grasp of this and had them under pressure in their half for the opening 30 minutes, but two quick tries against the run of play hurt us dearly.

Once more the character of the team cannot be questioned as we wrestled our way back with some good attacking play and resultant tries to skipper David Pocock and James Stannard from the base of a ruck.

Down by just six points with 25 minutes to play we should have kept them pinned in their half, but failed to do so.

Our discipline, mine included, let us down on the weekend and this point has been drilled home.

Two exciting young men in Phoenix Battye and Ben Seymour made their debuts last weekend. It is great to see a couple of players with so much ability get their opportunity and to share in their first forays into Super Rugby.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-the-heart-is/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Make sure you behave yourself this week then Sharpie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    Make sure you behave yourself this week then Sharpie!

I have Sharpie in my fantasy team and an eye-opener among his stats was the fact he gave away 5 long arm penalties.

You expect your no.7 might give away 2 or 3 but for anyone else to give away that many is very poor disipline. (when you consider we lost by 5 penalty goals)

Before you all want to tar and feather me I am not saying Sharpie lost us the match but he also needs to be accountable.

I am keeping him in my team for this week as I am hoping he will have a much better game at home.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Home is where the heart is
    ...for a few more months...

Agreed Todd, my observation of his first two matches has been of a less disciplined player.
    Now that may actually be a more natural Sharpie that we have seen supressed, however, he isn't that way when playing for the Wallabies.
    Would hate to see his final season have him remembered in the wrong light following a sensational career.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think he Has had that statistic pointed out to him, hitch is why he was the only person he singled out in the article for poor discipline.

He'll probably be squeaky clean this week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Guess which bed ridden Sharpie fan has just had call from the big fella himself wishing her well, onya Sharpie

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Guess which bed ridden Sharpie fan has just had call from the big fella himself wishing her well, onya Sharpie
    A bedside visit? In her dreams!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    A bedside visit? In her dreams!
    Next best thing to a bedside visit! A telephone call this morning! ....No seriously ....I was totally lost for words....this bloody medicAtion has me in Lalaland most of the time! I thought I was hallucinating !!

How awesome..for him to take time out of his busy schedule to ring me!! I just wanted to climb down the phone and pAsh him

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    did you giggle like a school girl hahaha

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Fraid so....! How juvenile? I blame it on the med's !

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 08-03-12 at 20:03.

vCash
    I'm sure Sharpie will have a great match at home this weekend... I'd like to see the Force do the Canes...

vCash
    I will use every bit of positive thinking to will that ball over the stripe and straight through the uprights.....just as icing on the cake....just received email from Rugby WA ...they took a photo of Sharpie while he was on the phone to me...do I feel special....TOO RIGHT!

Veteran
    vCash
    gotta post that one!

vCash
    I think we will all miss the big fella next years, here's hoping to a great one tonight and the rest of the season.

He deserves no less

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Next best thing to a bedside visit! A telephone call this morning! ....No seriously ....I was totally lost for words....this bloody medicAtion has me in Lalaland most of the time! I thought I was hallucinating !!

How awesome..for him to take time out of his busy schedule to ring me!! I just wanted to climb down the phone and pAsh him
    and here he is chatting with HerTryk... Is that a gun in his pocket?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast