Thread: Force rookie firming at flyhalf

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force rookie firming at flyhalf

AAP, The West Australian
    March 4, 2012, 1:29 pm

Ben Seymour at Western Force training. Picture: John Mokrzycki / The West Australian
    Unheralded five-eighth Ben Seymour may be thrust into Western Force’s problem position to spark their sputtering attack after impressing off the bench in the Super Rugby loss to Queensland.

Force coach Richard Graham is strongly considering moving incumbent No.10 James Stannard to halfback and pitching Seymour into the playmaking hot seat against the Hurricanes in Perth on Friday night.

Graham was well pleased with the pair’s combination after he made a gutsy call to replace former Test No.9 Brett Sheehan after 50 minutes with the Force down 26-6 and struggling at Suncorp Stadium.

The West Australians immediately looked more dangerous with Stannard at halfback as he and captain David Pocock both stepped through some feeble Reds defence for two tries in five minutes.

Back in the game at 26-20, the Force were then punished by their ill-discipline and the boot of Queensland sharp-shooter Mike Harris who slotted three straight penalty goals to consign the visitors to their second straight loss.

A NSW Waratahs academy player last year, Seymour was the last man signed by the Force - as a third-string five-eighth - but the disgraced Willie Ripia’s pre-season exit, Stannard’s versatility and his own training exploits made for a swift rise.

Graham admitted it was a big call to replace Sheehan by gambling with the 21-year-old Manly flyhalf.

“At that point I just felt we needed a change in momentum and that paid off for us,” he said. “It was a good change and it was good to see Benny Seymour make his debut.

“He’s trained well with us in pre-season and done everything that’s been asked of him so I felt that worked reasonably well for us.”

Despite the loss, Graham rated it a much improved performance on the opening 19-17 loss to the Brumbies and was heartened by how his new-look halves harnessed the backline after they were starved of possession in Canberra.

“That was a really big focus for us,” he said. “I think Chucky (Stannard) and Benny Seymour got that balance right in that involvement. We just have to play a little more field position.”

Ball scavenger Pocock was once again the Force’s best and he is keen to see his team become more clinical and patient in try-scoring positions after wasting some early chances after pressuring the Reds into error.

“We did that well and got down in the 22 but I thought at times we were a little bit manic,” he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ng-at-flyhalf/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Might as well let the young fella have a crack. Hopefully the organization gives him time to get comfortable and own the role. I remember Berrick and quades first season. There was nothing special but at least they were given the oppurtunity to develop in the roles. If Godwin is healthy it would be good to have him on the bench and blood him in as well. It paid off blooding charles and whittiker at the same time when we had a gaping hole at 2.

vCash
    I agree

Give him a run at 10. The backs looked much better in the last 30 minutes when he was at 10 against the Reds. Play Godwin of the bench with 10min to go

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Play the young guys. We need to get a reputation as a club that gives the young players a go, rather than a career dead end behind a flown in superstar.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, why not, as everyone keeps saying, our season is over... so why not then? ( i dont believe it is over....)

vCash
    Go for it, but we need to be aware, he came on in a game against 55 minute tired legs and he was fresh, he might need some time to settle in!

I'm not sure if I would play Godwin on the bench. Chuck might make the ideal backup 10 with Sheeno as the replacement nine, we might be better served to get some fresh legs for elsewhere in the backline and get Stanley and Paddy to run themselves into the ground for sixty.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    He has the swagger, the tatts and the haircut.

Give him a go.