Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: White says Boks return can wait

vCash

Wink White says Boks return can wait

The ACT Brumbies believe Jake White's pledge that he will stick with them for the next four years, despite declaring yesterday he was available to coach the Springboks again.

While yet to coach the Brumbies in a match, White caused massive confusion and concern among Canberra's rugby community when he told a South African newspaper he would ''definitely put my CV in'' if Peter de Villiers wasn't reappointed to the role he inherited from White in 2008.

Instead of distancing himself from saying ''I'd like to make myself available for the Bok job'', White flagged his ambition to be the first coach to win two World Cups and said he had a burning desire to return to international rugby.

But determined to end fears he would walk away from the two-time Super Rugby champions before the season, White said ''I would never desert the Brumbies''.

He is just three months into a four-year contract at as the Brumbies' new mentor.

''I don't want people in South Africa to think I'm not available to coach my own country and that I've turned my back on them,'' White said.

''Would I want to coach South Africa again? Of course I would. Ask anyone who's been to a World Cup if they want to go back and they'll say yes.

''I'd like to coach international rugby again when that opportunity arises.

''But I'm contracted to the Brumbies and I would never desert the Brumbies.

''I'm happy here, I'm committed to being in Canberra and I haven't put three months of hard work in just to walk away.''

White led the Springboks to a World Cup triumph in 2007. The defending champions were knocked out of the tournament by the Wallabies in Wellington last Sunday.

Coach de Villiers originally hinted he would step down, but has since backtracked and said he would stay in the job until his contract ended in December.

Taking over the Brumbies is White's first full-time job since guiding South Africa to its World Cup victory.

He told the Brumbies before he was appointed of his ambition to one day return to the international arena.

But Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said White would honour his Super Rugby contract - which expires at the end of 2015 - and hosed down reports linking White to an immediate return to South Africa.

''From the first time I spoke to him he's made it clear - just like players - he has international coaching aspirations,'' Fagan said.

''He confirmed he would love to coach South Africa again, but that's when he was available and the job was available and that interest could only be acted upon then.

''He certainly won't explore that in the next four years because he's 100per cent committed to the Brumbies.''

White was announced as the new Brumbies coach in April after Andy Friend was sacked and officially took over the top job in July.

But a trip to New Zealand to watch the World Cup has reignited his international coaching passion.

He will remain in New Zealand until after the final on October 23 with the Brumbies beginning pre-season training the next day.

His desire to return to South Africa sparked speculation the Brumbies would need to find a fourth coach in less than 12 months.

But White said he was committed to the Brumbies and excited to begin his first Super Rugby campaign.

''Anyone who has coached [international rugby] wants to be there again and measure yourself against the best in the world,'' White said.

''I'm not coaching for fun, I'm coaching to be the best I can.

''Just like any player wants to play international rugby, I want to coach it, that's what makes me get up in the morning.

''I feel that I can still coach at that level and I have what it takes and being at the World Cup has reinvigorated it all, I enjoy being in a rugby crazy place.

''I would never just dump the Brumbies, I want to honour my contract.

''I want to coach to win another World Cup, I want to be the first coach to win two World Cups and I'm young enough to do it and I'm going to coach to be the best I can now.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    there is someting about South African coaches isn't there!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Jakes loyalties are elsewhere ( and that's not the place that gets no rain).

Expect him to give the ponies the flick by Round 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Jakes loyalties are elsewhere ( and that's not the place that gets no rain).

Expect him to give the ponies the flick by Round 3.
    Fortune cookie says "Open your mind to new possibilities not cynical posts" Jake will do a fine job with his new squad...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Fortune cookie says "Open your mind to new possibilities not cynical posts" Jake will do a fine job with his new squad...
    But South Africa is his "old squad"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Expecting Ben Mowen to have a big year. The tahds are clowns for giving him up for Elsom. All the better for the Brumbies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Expecting Ben Mowen to have a big year. The tahds are clowns for giving him up for Elsom. All the better for the Brumbies.
    I must agree, I'd have Mowen any day over an injury prone Rocky... Mowen had a good season, the Brumbies are lucky to him... I think he will do very well with the capital pony club...

vCash
    So Muddy, where do you think Jake will play McCabe,

Do you think he will persevere with him at 12?,or maybe as a fullback/wing?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'd have Mowen any day over an injury prone Rocky...
    Can someone please check for a baby lying in a puddle, probably next to a bath tub thrown out of a window.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post

Jake White has a liking for big, solid, hard running centre pairings, he also has an astute rugby brain. I predict he'll play him in the Runners

C'mon the

vCash

Post Brumbies see Kuridrani as wrecking ball

He's the softly-spoken Fijian who Jake White believes can be the ACT Brumbies' midfield destroyer when the Super Rugby season begins in February.
    Chances are Brumbies fans have never heard of Tevita Kuridrani.

But at 196cm and 100kg, the speedster could provide the backline punch and X-factor the Brumbies have been searching for.

The Brumbies have lacked a backline wrecking ball since injuries stunted Stirling Mortlock.

But with Kuridrani to battle fellow recruit Joseph Tomane and Andrew Smith to fill the Brumbies' No13 jersey next year, White is blessed with plenty of size and speed.

Kuridrani, 20, can also play on the wing and White hopes to turn his monster frame into one of the most feared ball-runners in the competition.

''And he's Fijian, there aren't many Fijians who don't like running with the ball,'' White said yesterday.

''The reality is that Tevita and Joe [Tomane] are going to be going for the same position and they offer the same skill sets.

''He can play anywhere, he can play at No13 or on the wing and at this point in time we're trying to get him to where we need him.

''He's quick, likewise with Joe, and what we're trying to do is get players who can complement each other.

''Joe and Tevita are big and they're strong, they offer another dynamic to the team which we probably didn't have.''

The Brumbies will finish their first week of pre-season training today.

New coach White has taken over and he has 12 new players in his extended squad of 35.

Kuridrani played in the Australian Sevens team and was also included in the Australian under-20s side to play at the junior world championship.

The Melbourne Rebels chased his signature, but Kuridrani said the opportunity to work with White was the reason he decided to move to Canberra.

Tomane is also keen to make an impression at the Brumbies after leaving his NRL contract with the Gold Coast Titans to return to rugby.

The 110kg centre played rugby as a junior before switching codes to start a promising NRL career.

But after deciding to reignite his rugby career, Tomane hopes to evolve into a dangerous weapon in the Brumbies' backline.

''The transition has been really good, the coaching staff has helped me a lot and so have the players,'' Tomane said.

''It's going to be tough, especially for me learning the game again. I've got a lot of hard work to do to catch up but I'm looking forward to it.''

Pat McCabe's shoulder injury means White is starting with a blank backline canvas.

The only player who was a regular starter from last year's backline is winger Henry Speight.

The door is open for new players to fill the vacant spots and White hoped that would drive his players to work through a brutal pre-season.

''It's incredible the two boys I've got here [Kuridrani and Tomane] are vying for the same positions,'' White said. ''They both want a situation where they get a fair crack. I want to create a culture where everyone wants to be a part of the Brumbies and everyone wants to play.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post

I really don't know I think Jake White is his own man and will make the call late in the preseason. He has signed large backs so I'm expecting a defensive backline with pace out wide. anyway for now McCabe is out for 5-6 months

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Jake White has a liking for big, solid, hard running centre pairings, he also has an astute rugby brain. I predict he'll play him in the Runners
    yes thats it giggles, the brumby runners

Force signed a Flyhalf yet????? it was a mistake to let Dunning go???

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    we have Ripia & stannard as flyhalves

Dunning is injured again

vCash
    I think we just need a central "Brumbies Propaganda Thread" for Muddy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast