Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Season Pre-view: ACT Brumbies

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Season Pre-view: ACT Brumbies

Form in 2011
    Last season was a bad year for the Brumbies. Pretty much everything that possibly could have gone wrong did go wrong. The head coach was sacked after 2 games. The stand in assistant coach failed to gain control of the situation. Injuries stuck pretty badly. In the end the Brumbies finished with four wins and a draw from 16 games: 13th place on the ladder. And this was flattered by late season wins over the Reds and the Rebels. Of the seven Wallaby representatives from the Brumbies squad in 2011, only three have stayed on for the 2012 season. A pretty unfortunate season for the Brumbies.

Another year of this?

Comings and Goings
    After a World Cup year and a tumultuous season full of coach dramas, there has been a pretty big exodus from Canberra. Half a dozen current or former Wallabies have fled the capital along with a few good honest toilers. In the forwards there is the loss of Huia Edmonds, Mitchell Chapman, Mark Chisholm, Salesi Ma’afu, Julian Salvi, Rocky Elsom and Stephen Hoiles. That is a shed load of experience, talent and depth. Three of these guys started in the Brumbies season opener in 2011 while three were on the bench. Rocky Elsom, the only player not in the match day 22, would have started if he was fit. That is a big hit for any team to take. From the backs it is bye-bye to Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Franky Fainifo, Tyrone Smith, Ed Stubbs, Josh Valentine and Pat Phibbs. This is four starters in the season opener in 2011 and one bench warmer. That’s half of last year’s team! Now sure some of those guys are effectively deadwood like Hoiles or Josh Valentine, and some were probably more harm than good like Giteau or Rocky Elsom, but half a team leaves a massive vacuum in the Brumbies set up. Probably close to a 1000 Super Rugby caps worth of experience. The Brumby newbies will have a lot to learn.

Worth it?

After the season the Brumbies had, recruiting was always going to be an uphill battle- especially with all the leaving players. That suits the Brumbies, however, because rebuilding will be the only thing on their minds. They’ve done some interesting recruiting. Jono Owen has been promoted from the academy. He will be joined in the front row by Ruaidhri Murphy, Siliva Siliva and Scott Sio, who are U20 age grade reps from Ireland (Murphy- who’d have thought?) and Australia. Sam Carter has also been promoted from the Brumbies academy for 2012. Also in the Brumbies second row are former Bay of Plenty lock Leon Power. Towering former Waratah Ben Mowen joins the Brumbies backrow and is probably the prize acquisition for the Brumbies. Mowen is a solid ball runner and excellent line-out operator and will be of great help to an unimpressive Brumby line-out. Alongside Mowen will be the enigmatic Fotu Auelua. Auelua has a reputation as a destructive ball runner in France and Japan, however his success in Super rugby will depend on how well he adapts to the pace of the Southern Hemisphere game. The Brumbies have made an exciting duel for the scrumhalf jersey by adding Ian Prior to their roster from the Queensland Reds. With 6 Super caps, Prior is more experienced than the Brumbies’ other scrumhalf, but it will nevertheless be intriguing to see whether Prior and Nic White bring out the best in each other. The Brumbies have also signed a handful of young backs with no Super experience. You probably haven’t heard of most of them yet, and to be honest neither have I, but I’m sure we will be singing the praises of one or two of them by the end of the year.

But by far the most significant new member of the Brumbies team is coach Jake White. A lot has been made of White's appointment in Canberra. There are those who believe he add a South African take no prisoners approach to a side that already boasts some great player culture. Then there are those who see common sense. Even a great coach can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And that would be assuming that Jake White is a great coach. White has never been head coach of a Super Rugby side. And what has he achieved outside of Super Rugby? He won an U21 World Championship. Good, but not great when you consider the quality of South African juniors. He won a Tri-Nations. Better, but limited by the fact that noone won any away games in that series and South Africa won on bonus points. His crowning achievement, however, is his RWC victory in 2007. But was this such a great victory? It was quite wittily described as the Stephen Bradbury of RWC wins. A victory gained with wins over a dismal England, a plucky Argentina and a fleet-footed Fiji. Certainly not an epic. It will be interesting to see whether White sinks or soars in Super Rugby 2012.

The Strengths
    If there is one place on the field where the Brumbies look truly dangerous, it is without doubt their front row. Stephen Moore is an excellent hooker with a great all round game. Although he will perhaps be a bit pissed about being stuck at loosehead, Ben Alexander is a solid scrummager at Super Rugby level and has an impressive work rate and try-scoring nous. Dan Palmer is a rock in the front row. He needs to add a bit more work to his game if he wants to come into Wallabies contention; however he will be a menace at this level. This trio will make one of the best scrums in the competition if they stay fit and firing.

Another big plus for the Brumbies in 2011 is all the young talent they have in their squad. Nic White and Ian Prior could well establish themselves as Will Genia’s backups by the end of the season. Robbie Coleman is also set for a big year. Will this also be the breakout year for Matt Toomua? With so little known about many of the other players, more than one opposition coach will be surprised by the Brumbies next season.

The Weaknesses
    This team is the weakest looking team in the franchise’s history. Half of the players are new to the Brumbies. Almost half have not played Super Rugby before. Add in to that a brand new coach with a completely different style (did Andy Friend and Tony Rea even have a style?) and you have the recipe for a tough year. Injuries to a few key players like Stephen Moore and Ben Mowen will put a big spanner in the Brumby works. Without these two it is likely that the Brumbies line-out will be torn to shreds. With all the young faces, they are also some of the team’s key leaders. Put simply, the Brumbies don’t have depth or outstanding talent in a majority of positions. They don’t have the unity proved by playing together for a number of seasons under the same coach. I’d wager a couple of the players might still be feeling a bit disgruntled after last year. Ben Alexander in particular may rue Dan Palmer and Jono Owen in the squad as playing tighthead was a sticking point for him in staying in Canberra in his last contract. It will take a while for the team to bed down and get it all together. It will also take Jake White a little while to sort out the diamonds in the rough from the dead wood.

Another downside for the Brumbies is their draw. A second round bye puts the Canberrans behind the pack a bit. On top of this, both their South African tour matches are at altitude and after 6 straight weeks of competition so fatigue may be a factor. Finally, if they do somehow manage to get it together and challenge for a finals place, their final five games include tough home encounters against the Reds and Blues and tough away games to the Force, Waratahs and Rebels. No easy wins there.

You have to wonder if how well Jake White will fit into the Brumbies set-up. A man renowned for pig headedness coaching a team renowned for player power. A man who preferred bruising forwards and a conservative approach to attack versus a team that has a history of innovative attack and forwards who pride themselves on mobility. It will be tough to get the team to play in a way that doesn't suit them and doesn't interest them. If the dynamics aren't quite right, things could go a bit pear shaped in Canberra.

I also wonder if the dramas surrounding the lack of a major sponsor will impact the side. It will certainly be dwelling on the minds of some of those in the backrooms. Will it boil over and affect the players?

Keep an eye out for...
    This is a hard one to choose. There are so many new players with the Brumbies that it is worth keeping an eye out for the whole team. But if I was to pick only one player to keep an eye out for for, it would have to be Zack Holmes. The as a team not produced a lot of local players of Super Rugby quality. Being a Sandgroper, it is great to see Zack playing at this level. It would be a sad indictment of the as an organisation if he thrives at this level and was not signed in his home state. So good luck Zack but so help me if you score against us. Hahahaha.

Did we miss out on someone great?

The Prediction
    I’m not going to lie. I think the Brumbies in 2012 will be dire at the start of the season. I’m predicting a short mid-season form streak but then a second slump as injuries/lack of depth and some tough final games take their toll. The Brumbies just don’t have the talent, depth of experience to make a decent show of themselves this season. I can’t see them getting past the wooden spoon. 15th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If their attention to detail is judged by the editing of the player profiles they are in the shit there too!
    Looking through the squad you'd think you were reading a Shute Shield roster.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1 Ben Alexander
    2 Stephen Moore
    3 Dan Palmer
    4 Ben Hand
    5 Peter Kimlin
    6 Ben Mowen
    7 Michael Hooper
    8 Ita Vaea

9 Nic White
    10 Matt Toomua
    11 Henry Speight
    12 Christian Lealiifano
    13 Robbie Coleman
    14 Andrew Smith
    15 Pat McCabe

16 Anthony Hegarty
    17 Jerry Yanuyanutawa
    18 Leon Power
    19 Colby Faingaa
    20 Ian Prior
    21 Zack Holmes
    22 Kimami Sitauti

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Looks good Burgs. I would be tempted to play Leon Power over Ben Hand though. The midfield looks a bit light on too. Coleman is not a big guy. It would be tempting to move him to fullback.

I really like the balance the Brumbies have in their backrow. The skill sets of Mowen, Hooper and Vaea really complement each other.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Thanks James, always look forward to your preseason team reports... here's a bo-peep at just a few intersting insights...

Yep a lot of electrifying young players... Yes they have cherry picked the Shute Shield and scored a few goods ones AKA Zac Holmes and fellow norths combo team mate Cam Crawford (keep an eye out for him, Joe Roff like, tall fast outside back) and the return of shute shield championship winning scrumhalf Nic White.

They’ve also been through the OZ 7s squad and picked up a few large outside backs, Kimami Sitauti and Tevita Kuridrani (and Zac Holmes from OZ 7s). All these guys have plenty of pro rugby coaching behind them. None are just out of college. Many have played with each other in OZ 7s or OZ U20s squads or shield.

Depth is a concern with all OZ squads so coaches will have to prepare their squads well for complete coverage. Jeez look at the Rebels its still Dads army re-signed their average members age is likely younger...

The Brumbies wont have a problem fielding a good competitive S15. The truth is they’re better covered overall this year because recruiting astute has been spend over more specialities. Scrumhalves, Locks, front-rowers, Outside backs. Keep an eye on new locks Leon Power (ITM NZ Cup) and Sam Carter, also big Pete Kimlin returns from a long injury. Brumbies, loosies Mowen, Auelua, Faingaa, Hooper all have plenty of S15 experience.

Its a New beginning for the Brumbies. Positives which were missed Toomua and Lealiifano have been playing and training together for over 4 years now as a inside back combo.

As James mentioned the front-row is solid and new addition Siliva Siliva is a quality S15 rookie hooker. He was a stand out RWC U20 player.

The backs which have been recruited are larger and faster (I just hope they can tackle). Tomane returning to rugby from the NRL Titans and Storm is a good solid prospect.

As for Jake White it’s a great opportunity for the Brumbies to rebuild and Jake to return to coaching through the Super Rugby. He is a fan of the brumbies old style. I’m sure he will play a style which best suits his younger squad.

Jake and Larkham have managed to attract some very talented young players and excellent coaching support staff, I just hope they can keep them together for a couple of seasons a have a shot at a third title…

Mudskippers Brumbies prediction finish between 4-8 in 2012… remember all teams start on zero points each season… everyone is a chance… oh and one last thing James missed the Brumbies roster, they don’t play either the Crusaders or Stormers… for table points… ☺

Even a new jersey....

Last edited by mudskipper; 22-01-12 at 13:02. Reason: jersey image

vCash
    4-8?

:troll:
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Very hard to say, and Jake will make some starting changes over the first month or but I'd expect to eventually see something link this, it will be an interesting journey one which I'm looking forward too...

1 Alexander
    2 Moore
    3 Palmer
    4 Power
    5 Kimlin
    6 Mowen
    7 Hooper
    8 Vaea / Aluelua

9 White
    10 Toomua
    11 Speight
    12 Lealiifano
    13 Tomane / Kuridrani
    14 Crawford
    15 Pat McCabe

16 Siliva
    17 Yanuyanutawa
    18 Hand
    19 C. Faingaa
    20 Prior
    21 Kuridrani
    22 Sitauti

vCash
    Either way 4-8 is the most BLATANTLY outrageous statement to have ever been posted on TWF
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    4-8?

:troll:
    Posted via Mobile Device
    well I do have my 2004 Brumbies glasses on... anything can happen, a lot of teams have changed line ups...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    well I do have my 2004 Brumbies glasses on...
    2004 was the last time Muddy went to a game
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Hey.... I attended every screening and most replays

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My prediction is for another Mudskipper midseason hiatus.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Very hard to say, and Jake will make some starting changes over the first month or but I'd expect to eventually see something link this, it will be an interesting journey one which I'm looking forward too...

1 Alexander
    2 Moore
    3 Palmer
    4 Power
    5 Kimlin
    6 Mowen
    7 Hooper
    8 Vaea / Aluelua

9 White
    10 Toomua
    11 Speight
    12 Lealiifano
    13 Tomane / Kuridrani
    14 Crawford
    15 Pat McCabe

16 Siliva
    17 Yanuyanutawa
    18 Hand
    19 C. Faingaa
    20 Prior
    21 Kuridrani
    22 Sitauti
    Strong front row and Toomua-Lealifano should build a good combination..

But weak in the second row if Power is a starting lock, and your gonna have more holes in your defense then the 2011 Rebels if Tomane is playing 13... He was considered a technically poor defender in rugby league, let alone in the outside center position of rugby union.

vCash
    Brumbies, loosies Mowen, Auelua, Faingaa, Hooper all have plenty of S15 experience.
    He is a fan of the brumbies old style. I’m sure he will play a style which best suits his younger squad.
    Please support both of these two statements with evidence, it hunk you've pulled both them, and your prediction of table position out of our arse.....along with most everything you say!

Last edited by GIGS20; 22-01-12 at 16:25. Reason: Highlighting to loosie who has never played super rugby
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Please support both of these two statements with evidence, it hunk you've pulled both them, and your prediction of table position out of our arse.....along with most everything you say!
    think positive thoughts Gigsy its better for your blood pressure... if your got an issue with Auelua his french pro time is more than equivalent to Super rugby...

my words are there to read clearly... its my opinion along with what I've read and some inside knowledge... Jake white has stated he is a fan of old style rugby play... tactically he may do otherwise against certain opposition which is sensible with a young squad...

Tomane is coming along very nicely I think he'll surprise a lot of average rugby centers this season... And this Fijian buddy from OZ 7s Tevita Kuridrani is a massive hard running unit he'll soften a few shoulders...

This may help...http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...s/2368951.aspx

''One of our themes is going back to the future - honouring the things of the past but looking what we can do to change the future,'' White told the members.

''Not for one minute are we admitting defeat or admitting mediocrity.

''But we have to start somewhere and get that feeling back here.

''... We believe we've got 15 boys who if we put them on the field we can beat any team in the competition.

''The challenge for us as coaches is managing those players for a whole season and bring the best out of them.''

Another article extract:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226101583429

White said he would like to create a new Brumbies style of game, which blended their traditional attacking flair with hard-nosed South African defence.

"I don't want to move too far away from the fact the Brumbies have always had a point of difference," he said. "That's something that excites me. It gives me an opportunity as a coach to be innovative and come up with new ideas.

"I'd like to get the best attack they've ever had, keeping the ball through the phases and creating pressure, and in my little way bring the South African attitude to defence to them."

the brumbies are very lucky to have Jake White for a 4 year term... its also good to have backs coach Steve larkham and the return of laurie Fisher from Munster as forwards coach...They've also picked up a young defensive coach from the Cape Town Stormers (who said to me Tomane was going to impress a lot of people) and Dean Benton the NRL Broncos athletic performance director.

Last edited by mudskipper; 22-01-12 at 18:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast