Thread: Simmons extends till 2013

vCash

Simmons extends till 2013

Another young player extending his stay at the Reds
    Australian Rugby Union today announced Qantas Wallabies and Queensland Reds lock, Rob Simmons, will remain in Australia until the end of 2013 after re-signing for a further 2 years.

The 22-year old is the first player to re-sign with Australian Rugby Union in 2012 and follows 22 of his team mates who re-committed 2011.

A product of Theodore in country Queensland, Simmons first appeared for the Queensland Reds in Super Rugby during the 2009 season, before making his maiden start in that competition the following year.

2010 also saw the second row forward step into the international arena, firstly for the Australian Barbarians during the two-match midweek series against the Touring England, and then for the Qantas Wallabies in that year’s Tri Nations series.

Simmons made his Test debut on his home ground, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, during Australia’s 30-13 win over against South Africa.

He has subsequently cemented his place as a regular member of the Qantas Wallabies squad securing 16 Test caps as well as a run on appearance against the Barbarians during Australia’s recent spring tour of Europe.

Simmons played in 10 of the Qantas Wallabies 13 Tests last year and was part of the 22-man squad that defeated the All Blacks in Brisbane to claim Australia’s first Castrol Edge Tri Nations title in 10-years.

Qantas Wallabies coach, Robbie Deans, said he was pleased Simmons had decided to recommit to Australian Rugby for another 2 years.

“It is encouraging to have a guy like Rob recommit to Queensland and Australian Rugby for another two years,” Deans said.

“Players always have choice. Rob is a player who has a big future and is working hard towards that so it’s pleasing he sees his future playing in Australia taking the game here forward.

“The fact that we have been able to keep our core group of Wallabies together is a positive sign for the direction the team is headed in, and the players’ commitment to that.”

Simmons, who featured in 6 of the Qantas Wallabies’ 7 Rugby World Cup games last year, said he was excited at what the future held for him in Australia.

“The last two years have been great, being a part of the Qantas Wallabies, and I am really looking forward to the challenges of the next two years,” Simmons said.

“My focus is currently on the Reds and starting the FxPro Super Rugby season off on the right foot, but I am also very keen to get back in the Gold jersey and represent my country again.

“When I look at the other players that have re-signed in the last 12-months and what we achieved last year I think there is opportunity for us to enjoy some more success in the coming years and I am very keen to be a part of and contribute to that success.

Position:Lock
    Height:200cm
    Weight:115kg
    Date Of Birth:19/04/1989
    Super Rugby Caps:31
    Super Rugby Debut:Feb 2009 v Bulls, Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    Test Rugby Caps:16 (Wallabies Cap # 844)
    Test Rugby Debut: 2010 v South Africa, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Ne...4/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good news for queensland, but he needs the golden run of free test caps to stop at international level. If he doesn't earn his spot, and get dropped when he sucks, he'll turn out to be the second row equivalent of Matt Giteau, and nobody wants to see that!

C'mon the

vCash
    Adam Wallace-Harrison has also re-signed until 2014, I think he is a quality signing to provide depth in that position, he is a excellent line out tactician.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Adam Wallace-Harrison
    Lock

Height: 200cm
    Weight: 114kg
    Date Of Birth: 24/09/1979
    Place of Birth: Perth, WA

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Samo and Wal in the same team?
    Break open the Metamucil...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Clever moves by Link. Lock up your quality players before the season starts and ease the stress of retaining players later on. Then you can focus on nicking from the other teams. In the last couple of years Force management has seemingly left it till towards the end of the season.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    he'll turn out to be the second row equivalent of Matt Giteau!
    I always used to get a bit of a laugh seeing Muddys strategy of getting a Brumby angle into every thread .......... ;-)
    Posted via Mobile Device