Thread: Lapasset sees off Beaumont to remain IRB boss

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Lapasset sees off Beaumont to remain IRB boss

France's Bernard Lapasset saw off the challenge from England's Bill Beaumont to be re-elected chairman of the International Rugby Board.

Lapasset secured a majority of 14-12 votes over vice-chairman Beamont from the 26 members of the IRB council after one round of voting in the reconvened meeting in Los Angeles on Monday.

Lapasset, 64, has been in power for the past four years and was challenged by 59-year-old Beaumont which resulted in a tie at the first vote in Auckland on October 19, a few days before the World Cup final.

Lapasset, formerly president of the French Rugby Federation (FFR) from 1991 to 2007, oversaw the successful campaign to have rugby regain its place at the Olympic Games during his first term.

New Zealand's Graham Mourie lost the vice-chairman vote to South Africa's Oregan Hoskins.

The votes were tied at 13-all with Lapasset using his casting vote in favour of Hoskins.

Lapasset and Hoskins will begin their term in office on January 1, 2012

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...emain-IRB-boss

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The legacy of the deal done to put FIRA in it's place is still an undercurrent at the IRB. Lapasset is only chairman as a result of the deal that resulted in FIRA setting aside its ambitions for global domination of rugby and becoming a model for regional organisations within the IRB.

FIRA was established in 1934 after France was thrown out of the IRB in 1931 and was organizing itself in direct competition to the IRFB, establishing commissions to govern on the rules of the game, the training of referees, and the organisation of rugby competitions.

It's worth remembering that at the time of the first RWC the IRB had eight members (after France had been readmitted into the IRFB in 1978) whilst FIRA had almost sixty members (albeit all second, third and 97th tier teams).

I shudder to think what a French and dodgy saffa alliance is going to do to the IRB in coming years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!