Thread: Reds lock away young openside Liam Gill

vCash

Reds lock away young openside Liam Gill

The St.George Queensland Reds have locked away an important piece of their backrow with 19-year-old openside flanker Liam Gill signing a new contract through to the end of 2013.

Gill will remain with Queensland Rugby for at least the next two seasons after inking a new deal only months after the Queensland Reds historic Super Rugby title triumph in July.

The Victorian-born talent blossomed during in his inaugural season as a fulltime contracted squad member, winning his maiden Super Rugby appearance from the bench in round three against the Brumbies before later scoring his first run-on cap when chosen to go head-to-head with Australia’s first-choice number seven David Pocock and the Western Force in round 17.

Gill iced his memorable debut year in Super Rugby by winning the title and later with club side Sunnybank, winners of the 2011 Hospital Cup and Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby competition.

“2011 has been a dream year for me and I’m really excited about next season and the challenges that lie ahead,” Gill said.

“I’ve got big aspirations for the future and I believe being at the Queensland Reds is the best place to achieve my goals.”

Queensland Reds Head Coach Ewen McKenzie said he was very pleased with the progress Gill made in his debut season.

“There’s no denying Liam is one of the most highly touted young talents in Rugby at the moment and we’re confident the environment at the Reds is the best place for him to continue to maximise his playing potential,” McKenzie said.

“He has a big future ahead of him and to see him already offer so much on the playing field at such a young age is exciting for the team and our fans.”

Liam earned a fulltime Reds contract for 2011 while still just 17 years of age and was responsible for producing one of the better individual performances from a Reds player during the season, coming in his second starting appearance, against the Chiefs in the final regular season game of the year. His tireless efforts at the breakdown and in defence earned the teenager Man of the Match honours on a special evening that also marked his maiden Super Rugby try.

Gill capped off his breakthrough season with cameos from the bench during the Reds Semi-Final against the Blues and in the Final over the Crusaders, while he also collected the Premier Rugby Colt of the Year award for the second season running.

Gill, along with fellow youngster Dominic Shipperley, was originally drafted into the 2011 Australian Under 20s squad for the Junior World Championships in Italy in May, but was later released as injury cover for the Reds in their roll towards the Super Rugby Championship.

Before joining the Reds senior squad, the talented backrower was a standout member of the QAS Reds Academy and was one of the more consistent performers in the 2010 Australian Sevens squad.

After making his debut on the Sevens World Series circuit in Las Vegas as a 17-year-old, Gill went on to represent the Australian Under 20s later that year before winning a silver medal at the Delhi Commonwealth Games where Australia lost to New Zealand in the Rugby Sevens gold medal match.

Gill also enjoyed a prolific schoolboy career. He was named tour captain for the Australian Schoolboys tour of the United Kingdom in 2009 and he was also the winner of the prestigious Bronze Boot Award for Best on Ground in the Australian Schoolboys contest against New Zealand that year.

Gill was born in Melbourne and lived in the United States for several years before playing junior Rugby in Adelaide and later relocating to Brisbane.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEven...8/Default.aspx
    Liam Gill
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 96kg
    Date Of Birth: 08/06/1992
    Place of Birth: Melbourne
    Position: Openside flanker
    Senior Club: Sunnybank

Stats
    Provincial Rugby Caps: 9
    Provincial Rugby Points: 5 (1t)
    Provincial Rugby Debut: Mar 2011 v Brumbies, Canberra
    Super Rugby Caps: 9
    Super Rugby Points: 5 (1t)
    Super Rugby Debut: Mar 2011 v Brumbies, Canberra

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The next David Pocock maybe?? I think in 2 years time this kid will be a gun and Poeys back up but not sure he will have the same size as David? Maybe it could be another Waugh/smith 6/7 combo could be good!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Will need to hit the gym, but is a good prospect for sure.
    Sucked in Melbourne.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Size won't be a problem in another year or two ...

IRB 2011 player of the year, Thierry Dusautoir is reported as only weighing 95kg... Gill is listed as 96kg... Size isn't everything
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think expectation is probably the big issue for Gill. Too many people are expecting too much and too soon.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'd expect it to be a continuation of the Beau Robinson/Gill tandom act in 2012
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Good to see.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah. Good for both of them.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    saw him play at the 16 national championships a few years ago, and he wasnt 'big' in comparison to some of his nsw counterparts yet he was best player at the tournament by a long long way. he has put on a lot of size since then and will continue to do so. defiantly a player to watch

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Size isn't everything for sure, but it makes up for any lack of skill there may be between a promising prospect and an IRB player of the year.
    Very few of the top line Opensides in the pro era have been under 102kg, an anomaly does not prove a speculation.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Cool..
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    great young player, just what they need...