By RugbyWA Media
Contributors: Ali McLean

Winston Stanley
Two years ago Winston Stanley helped guide New Zealand to Junior World Cup glory and was named one of the standout youngsters in world rugby. In 2012 he’ll be unleashing his talents from across the Tasman after opting to head to the fresh rugby pastures of Western Australia.

With close family ties and a Super Rugby debut with the Blues a 5000km move from Auckland to Perth was carefully considered by Stanley but it has paid off so far with life and rugby in the west agreeing with the 22 year old.

“My three years with the Blues were a good learning experience, with so many great players in the team. At the same time it was frustrating as the quality players meant it was tough to crack consistent opportunities,” Stanley said.

“When I spoke to Richard (Emirates Western Force Head Coach Richard Graham) earlier in the year he said there was an opportunity but no guarantees. I was looking for a fresh environment and I think that the Western Force offers that and I am really keen to take advantage of it.

A month into pre-season and Stanley has enjoyed the change up in preparations as well as getting to know his new team mates and city.

“Everyone has been really friendly and Perth is a beautiful place,” Stanley said.

“When the prospect of coming across came up I closely followed the fortunes of the club and I think they were really competitive in every game. The support the club gets in Perth is pretty awesome and I think we’re a team on the cusp of something really good.

“I’m going to try and put my best foot forward, put the hard work in throughout the pre-season and hope that I can do enough to gain opportunity. That is why I am here and hopefully I can make the decision a winner.”

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...4/Default.aspx