Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies trounce Barbarians 60-11

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies trounce Barbarians 60-11

Australia warmed-up for its Test away to Wales next weekend by running in eight tries as it overwhelmed the star-studded Barbarians by a record 60-11 win at Twickenham on Sunday morning.

Both Wallabies wingers Lachie Turner and Digby Ioane and replacement forward James Horwill, Australia's regular captain, scored two tries each.

Australia coach Robbie Deans was delighted ahead of a clash with Wales - the team the Wallabies beat to finish third at the World Cup.

"It's ideal for us, the right order to have the games. That (Wales) is going to be a tough assignment so it was good to have a hit-out before we get to the Millennium Stadium," he said.

The Barbarians managed a try in stoppage time from Wigan rugby league wing Sam Tomkins, playing his first union match, following two penalties from England discard and Melbourne Rebels pivot Danny Cipriani.

Barbarians coach Graham Henry, fresh from leading New Zealand to World Cup glory, said his side had been beaten by a top-class Australia team.

"They got their second wind in the last five (minutes) and it's just a pity it didn't go for another 40, because I think we could have pulled them back," Henry joked.

"The Australians, when they play like that, are an outstanding rugby side. They played some real quality football. We just couldn't hang on to them."

Australia's win surpassed its previous best against the Barbarians of 55-7 in Sydney two years ago.

James O'Connor, normally a wing but selected for the first time at fly half at international level by Deans, landed eight out of nine goalkicks on his way to a match haul of 20 points.

An incident-packed and error-strewn first half saw Australia turn round 18-3 in front after it scored two tries, butchered several others and had both Adam Ashley-Cooper and James Slipper sent to the sin-bin.

The Wallabies saw both centre Berrick Barnes (knee) and O'Connor (hand) suffer injuries but they were optimistic the pair would be fit for next weekend.

Both sides made numerous passing and handling errors with Turner making a mess of a huge overlap in the 10th minute when he failed to find Ben Horne.

Four minutes later the Barbarians were level and Australia a man down.

Uncapped New Zealand centre Robbie Fruean intercepted O'Connor's pass and sprinted 50 metres downfield. But his intended pass to Tomkins was knocked on by Ashley-Cooper, yellow carded by French referee Romain Poite.

Cipriani kicked the ensuing penalty to make it 3-3.

Australia though scored next when O'Connor's mis-hit drop-goal from 25 metres somehow went over the bar.

Minutes later, O'Connor's cleverly delayed a pass to Ioane, running from deep, and the wing brushed aside Fruean and Cipriani before scoring a 25th minute try.

Prop forward Slipper was then sent to the sin-bin for a late tackle on Cipriani.

O'Connor and Scott Higginbotham both burst clear only to deliver wretched passes when seemingly certain tries loomed.

But on the stroke of half-time, the Wallabies worked an overlap that saw O'Connor send in Turner for a try in the corner.

The half ended in bizarre fashion when O'Connor, after Poite signalled for him to kick, took too long with his trademark deliberate run-up and saw charging Ireland scrum-half Peter Stringer steal the ball off the kicking tee - the only conversion the Wallaby missed.

Henry emptied his star-studded bench at the break and Cipriani then reduced Australia's lead with a penalty.

It was Horwill who scored next when fellow substitute Stephen Moore rolled off the back of a lineout and fed his fellow forward close to the line.

Italy prop Salvatore Perugini, on as a replacement, was also sent to the sin-bin and Australia then ran riot, starting when Cipriani's pop-pass close to his own line was picked off by Wallaby centre Rob Horne.

Australia: 60 (J Horwill 2, D Ioane 2, L Turner 2, R Horne, R Samo tries; J O'Connor 7 cons, pen, drop goal)

Barbarians: 11 (S Tomkins try; D Cipriani 2 pens)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-2...d-rout/3697342

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran
    vCash
    what were the cards for?

vCash
    AAC deliberate knock-down

Slipper late tackle with no arms.

vCash
    Two dads deliberately knocked a pass down to prevent a try
    Slipper put in a late shot with the shoulder on Cipriati

Controversy corner

vCash
    Sharpie is a machine! He's playing like a young bloke.

Back line looked pretty good too. Mostly.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I liked what I saw.

Not the scoreline so much as the intent, hitting the ball at speed with aggression (ditto tackling) and JO'C/Barnes putting people into space rather than the Cooper style of trying to create something with every touch.

This is a far better Wallaby style and combination, we are not suited to Coopers "style" and that should be Plan B from the bench, not the starting strategy.
    Pretty pleased I stayed up for that one, was heartening.

What would be considered sacrilege prior to NZ is, for mine, now:

21. Cooper
    22. Beale

A couple of others I have previously been either unimpressed or ambivalent about were Simmons, Phipps and Dennis, with a development progress nod to Tapuai too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    sharpie was a machine! if he doesnt start next week i am going to call for a lynch mob to find bobbie...

Tomkins is a hugely dangerous player and if he ever swaps to union the force should throw whatever they can at him to get him. pity about his 5 year contract though.

fruean will be a weapon when he can tone himself down and get the finer points of his game right. again - the force should poach him. might be somewhat good to have a heavy big hitting centre for a change.

vCash
    JOC.. just shows... as I've said before... "Talent isn't rare opportunity is..." well done James...

.... Remember that all you duds whoa re outside the 22 ...

vCash
    i think that the coaching staff at the force deserve a lot of credit for the work they put into rabbit.
    he isnt some scrawny kid anymore who is too small for rugby.

even the sky commentators were crapping on about how strong he is for his size and that he constantly plays above his weight.

if only he had a decent manager who kept him grounded.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't think O'Connor was that good at 10. No one we have seen so far this year comes close to Berrick Barnes in game management and backline organisation.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    he was playing as a winger still IMO. he was trying to bust through instead of looking to set up plays for 2 + phases ahead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I liked what I saw.

Not the scoreline so much as the intent, hitting the ball at speed with aggression (ditto tackling) and JO'C/Barnes putting people into space rather than the Cooper style of trying to create something with every touch.

This is a far better Wallaby style and combination, we are not suited to Coopers "style" and that should be Plan B from the bench, not the starting strategy.
    Pretty pleased I stayed up for that one, was heartening.

What would be considered sacrilege prior to NZ is, for mine, now:

21. Cooper
    22. Beale

A couple of others I have previously been either unimpressed or ambivalent about were Simmons, Phipps and Dennis, with a development progress nod to Tapuai too.
    The real difference was a lack of the plodding "no pass" McCabe who died with the ball behind the ad line on every play

Cooper's style isn't suited to a farking useless inside center

Controversy corner

vCash
    Lets not get too carried away, it ws a Baa Baas game, no real pressure. True test of JOC and Barnes would be to be behind that shit forward performance we had in the world cup.

Mind you, take out Rocky and we are a 12 point better team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    JOC.. just shows... as I've said before... "Talent isn't rare opportunity is..." well done James......
    Skip!... Is joc now your new love interest now that giteaus overseas?.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Skip!... Is joc now your new love interest now that giteaus overseas?.....
    Nope...plays for the Rebels....Matty Toomua is the new love interest

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast