Thread: Super Rugby stars fume at resting regime

vCash

Super Rugby stars fume at resting regime

AUSTRALIA'S top rugby stars are likely to oppose directives from the ARU to rest during the Super Rugby season.
    Player workload management has become the biggest issue in the game following the release of next year's schedule, which will see an unprecedented season packed with Super Rugby and international matches from February to December.

It has created an uncomfortable scenario in which the ARU is likely to request key players be rested from Super Rugby games while the franchises are dealing with a cutting of their squad numbers.

The ARU certainly doesn't want its headline players resting from too many Wallabies games because they are its primary money-spinner and it is desperate to overturn this year's $16 million deficit.

Injured Wallaby and Waratahs forwards Benn Robinson and Wycliff Palu told The Daily Telegraph they are not keen to sit out Super games.

"As a player, whether you're starting or coming off the bench, you always want to be playing the whole time," Robinson said.

"I definitely won't be putting up my hand saying 'I don't want to be playing this game' or hold myself back from whatever is in front of me.

"It's a tough call. You love playing for the Waratahs, and you're a part of a squad. You don't want to let them down.

"If you're seen as a senior player, and you're not playing a game that might be a bit quieter for the Waratahs, for me it's not a good look."Asked if he would resist an edict to miss Super games, Palu said: "I would. I want to play games. I want to be playing as much as possible.

"You talk to anyone, it's not so much playing games, because everyone loves that. It's the training load. We manage it pretty well at the Waratahs."

Something has to give, however. If a top Wallaby was to play every Super game including finals, and every Test through to the end-of-season European tour, he would rack up 34 games. But the players' enterprise agreement stipulates they can only play a maximum of 30.

ARU boss John O'Neill said the franchises would have to play ball.

"Co-operation needed between the Super Rugby franchises and coaching staff, medical staff, strength and conditioning with their Wallaby counterparts is going to be critical," O'Neill said. "It's common sense. Avoid brinkmanship, avoid one-upmanship, player welfare and longevity is front of mind."

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said: "There will be a lot of dialogue and interaction between all parties because we are all in this together and the players are the key resource."

Franchise coaches will be fearful that resting their key players, even in "easier" games, could backfire and ruin their season.

Robinson said the ARU should not develop blanket policies. "They've got to break it down and look at players individually, not just a blanket over front-rowers in general and say they need to have a break," he said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226198264773

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Was such a great move to cut squad sizes this year...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    here we go - Deans screws up the wallabies squad for the world cup and now finds a new excuse as its due to too much rugby. How is it that the northern hemisphere teams play significantly more rugby without the same issues?? and get paid more.

Wait and see for JON et al to force us to rest Pocock and Sharpie against the Reds if they are close to making the finals or insist that Brown is not ready to play when we need him.... its bollocks! the Franchises will look after the players and know what is best.. most of the time anyway.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Palu will be sitting out a third to a half of the season with injury anyway.

It's a bit stupid but it might just be 2-3 games or a couple of games played off the bench. And for us it would only be Pocock. The Waratahs and Reds might find that its 3 or 4 guys they want to rest.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The players aren't machines

30+ games of super and test rugby = injuries and potentially career ending ones

These lads are out to hurt each other

They also have to travel around the world and back and it takes a toll mentally and physically

Too much rugby dilutes the brand as well

Super rugby is a great concept and needs to be perpetuated.

The international schedule needs to be looked at. June tests against 2nd string northern hemisphere teams should have been left out. We'll play them on their own turf at full strength with our best team in their autumn.

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    We need more depth in Australia rugby.

The force will also end up resting hodgo. Mcalman potentially sharpie.

Anyone who has the potential to be in the training squads or a travelling player. We could have our back row all asked to sit out a week or two. Which could potentially cost us games and positions on the ladder.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    It's bollocks! The players are all professionals paid well with massive medical/training/rehab/ spiritual support. They want to ply their trade. Let them do it! Injuries can happen anytime - whether in game ONE or game THIRTY ONE.
    Obviously, the more you play the more chances you have of getting injured, but that is an occupational hazard.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The force will also end up resting hodgo. Mcalman potentially sharpie.
    I doubt it on those three. I imagine Robbie will only want his first choice Wallabies rested. So that would be Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson, James Horwill, maybe Dan Vickerman, Rocky Elsom, David Pocock, Will Genia, Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor and Digby Ioane. Maybe Drew Mitchell.

Half of those guys will end up injury or already are injured (Vickerman, Elsom, Cooper, Mitchell) and miss a handful of games so that'll probably count as their rest.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.