Thread: Club Vs Country

vCash

Club Vs Country

With JON and Deans now pouting that the players are having too many games, there will be increasing pressure from on high for the Super Rugby Franchises to "rest" key players prior to internationals.

They are both on record as trying to figure out how to ensure that the Wallabies are fit for next season's games but how can they dictate to those that pay the bills. The keep slashing funding to the Force and yet the little that they do give will allow them to dictate who plays and when?? How is this going to work??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think they'll need resting, why undo the benefits of match fitness leading into internationals - injuries, especially "niggles" will need to be well managed though which may have the same effect ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I posted about this a few week ago saying that with so much rugby being played the Wallabies will risk becoming like the Australia Cricket Team in which they are contracted players for the ARU and are dictated how and when they are to play for there state teams.
    An elite player group if you may.
    This could have mass effect on the Provincial teams as 1) they are loosing quality players and 2) the other players skills aren’t being enhanced by the top tier group.

This could also breed a Wallabies team just like the Cricket where it is harder to get into the team then it is to get out. Resulting in the fall of Australian Rugby hoping that a player will hit form soon and not wanting to mess with the ‘groove’ of the team.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    This is the same issue that they have in the Northern Hemisphere for most sporting codes. The clubs pay the wages but with the top up from the governing body the lines about who "owns" who gets very blurred. I agree with Gaffa that if the ARU starts to dictate we risk watering down Super Rugby and you end up with a Wallabies group and the rest which does not help anyone.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I guess that is the silver lining to Robbie not giving Sharpie the credit he is due. I doubt Robbie will ask for Sharpie to be rested unless he is a complete $#@$%&.

They will ask Pocock to be rested though but maybe that'll just mean cycling him through the bench on a couple of easier games. We have 4 excellent backrowers and a very promising 5th so we can cope.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.