Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another end of season review casualty.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Jim Mallinder. Enough said.

Although for the sake of beating England I'd rather see them hire Pieter de Villiers.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I wonder if Robbie Deans could run two teams at once just to ensure that the AB's stay on top. I am sure that for the right fee JON will allow this, he seems to do anything for a fee regardless of the ramifications.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    I think his position was untenable. I think with the quality of players he had, he should have done much better. The players are ultimately responsible for how the team performs on the day but its the coach/manager and his team who are responsible for the game plan. And I think they fell short in this area.

vCash

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones expresses interest in England job vacated by Marti

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones has swiftly put up his hand to guide England through to the 2015 Rugby World Cup following Martin Johnson's resignation.

Denied his place in history by a Johnson-captained, Clive Woodward-coached England at the 2003 World Cup, Jones was quick to announce his interest in the job after Johnson quit on Thursday morning (AEDT).

Never able to repeat the success he had as skipper, Johnson stood down after presiding over England's poor 2011 Cup campaign in New Zealand, which was marred by ill-discipline and ended with a quarter-final loss to France.

Jones' interest came after former South Africa and Italy coach Nick Mallett knocked back Rugby Football Union overtures to replace Johnson.

He insisted the rewards of getting England back on track were "enormous" with the 2015 World Cup to be played on home soil.

"You'd always be interested in coaching England," Jones said.

"It has got a fantastic domestic competition, very, very good players and you have just got to get the right program in place and they should be good enough to win the next World Cup."

While Jones led the Wallabies to the epic 2003 tournament final, lost in extra-time in Sydney, he did finally enjoy World Cup success over England four years later as a coaching consultant for Jake White with South Africa in France.

He was sacked as Australian coach at the end of 2005 when the injury-riddled Wallabies lost eight of his last nine Tests in charge.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/fo...-1226198000248

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I think his position was untenable. I think with the quality of players he had, he should have done much better. The players are ultimately responsible for how the team performs on the day but its the coach/manager and his team who are responsible for the game plan. And I think they fell short in this area.
    IIRC Wells and Ford had contracts through the World Cup when Ashton was sacked, and the Twickenham blazers insisted that Johnson use them. Certainly there wasn't a consistent method of play which could move seemlessly between attack and defense. Johnson was ultimately responsible for generating that, but for a rookie coach it must have been difficult. If Ford & Wells's positions were secure, they needed an experienced hand to meld their rather different rugby philosophies into a coherent whole.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Mike Ford hasn't done a bad job with his son George. That kid is seriously talented. We can only hope that England screw up and do a Danny Cipriani with him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.