Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Started already - Hot-property David Pocock in no hurry to move east

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Started already - Hot-property David Pocock in no hurry to move east

BY: BRET HARRIS From: The Australian November 12, 2011 12:00AM

WALLABIES openside flanker David Pocock will be the hottest player on the Australian market when his contract with Western Force expires next year, but it remains to be seen whether he will follow his good mate James O'Connor out of Perth.

Pocock, arguably the best number seven in the world, has been with the Force since making his Super Rugby debut as a teenager against the Sharks in 2006, the WA team's foundation year.

But the Force has failed to make the playoffs in those six years, which would be a source of frustration to a player as competitive as Pocock.

On top of this, O'Connor has gone to the Melbourne Rebels.

"James is a hugely talented player but it happened and we have moved on," Pocock said.

"How we go without him, we'll have to wait and see. I got along well with James."

Asked whether O'Connor's departure would influence his decision to stay or go, Pocock said: "I haven't thought about it too much. I'll wait and see what happens."

Pocock and O'Connor will be catching up on Tuesday when the Wallabies assemble in Sydney for their tour of Britain, which includes games against the Barbarians and Wales.

Pocock said he was still feeling the disappointment of the Wallabies' loss to the All Blacks in their World Cup semi-final. "We missed a good opportunity, but it's over now," he said.

"We have to make sure it makes us hungrier, not just for the next World Cup but leading up to it.

"We'll get that opportunity in the next couple of weeks."

Pocock warned that Wales would be seeking revenge at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on December 3 for the 21-18 loss to Australia in the World Cup bronze-medal game.

"It's going to be a hell of a game," he said.

Rugby fans will be salivating at the prospect of watching Pocock go head to head with young Welsh captain Sam Warburton, who missed the bronze-medal game because of suspension.

"I'm looking forward to it," Pocock said.

"I don't get too caught up in one-on-one battles. He's pretty solid."

Meanwhile, Pocock is about to become a published author with his soon-to-be released autobiography, Openside: My Journey to the World Cup.

"I was approached to do a book. Initially, I wasn't excited about the idea, but I enjoyed it," Pocock said.

"I've tried to be honest. There's a lot of off-field stuff, growing up in Zimbabwe."

Typical of Pocock, who is as great a humanitarian as he is a rugby player, the proceeds of the book will be donated to charity.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226193136965

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    He will stay, Emma has his hooks into big time being a Perth Girl and he is a Big Fish in a small pond here.

Also, last time I checked Perth was a bit closer to Zimmer than Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Canberra!

As long as he can get a Million + , Per year of his contract , this is a non issue.

He is an alpha male who will attract players to play in WA , inclduing any Saffas who might like his work. Like the Du Plessis brothers

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Meanwhile, Pocock is about to become a published author with his soon-to-be released autobiography, Openside: My Journey to the World Cup.

"I was approached to do a book. Initially, I wasn't excited about the idea, but I enjoyed it," Pocock said.

"I've tried to be honest. There's a lot of off-field stuff, growing up in Zimbabwe."

Typical of Pocock, who is as great a humanitarian as he is a rugby player, the proceeds of the book will be donated to charity.

This is what the story is about. Always read "news" from the bottom up.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Sorry BnB but you're wrong, you always need to read a Bret Harris story through your 'he should be playing for the Brumbies' glasses. I picked up a certain amount of WTF about his expression of loyalty and his decision to become the next captain of the Force.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Pocock doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will let this drag out for the season. And the force will chuck the kitchen sink at him, and by that I don't mean just in money terms.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Pocock doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will let this drag out for the season. And the force will chuck the kitchen sink at him, and by that I don't mean just in money terms.
    Im not so sure about that. Because there's the risk that he might throw it back!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    If there's anybody in world rugby who deserved to be given the bank, it's the mighty Bam!

C'mon the

vCash

Lets Have a 80/20 night

Hi all
    This is just a thought and a way to say thanks to our players
    Below are just some ideas other than money to hold our respected players...
    To show that we the fans want Dave the man to stay maybe Rugby WA should organise a 80/20 night were we all donate and show our ( the Fans ) support that what our man is doing is respected by us here in the west and we want him to stay ...
    I think us supporting his charity would have a bigger impact than rugby WA throwing him loads of cash...( not that he does not deserve it )
    Maybe some short footage of the work that is being done at 80/20 is shown on the big screen during half time and an interview with Dave to expose 80/20 to the rugby world..

Not sure of the logistics of it but even if kooga came on board and we had a one off jersey for the night at home and they auctioned them off like they did with the breast cancer pink ones That was great....

Lets get it up on the big screen and take it to the rugby public that there are rugby greats that do more than play rugby..
    It is great to hear alot that our EWF players are looking forward to Life after rugby....
    And Yes I vote for Dave to take over the reins as our next leader for the 2013 season ( Nothing against NS but it would be nice to see the young gun have the master on the field to give some guidance )

I think this great warrior would apreciate this so much and help letting him and the rest of the squad that Western Australian Rugby fans supports its team and its players and that we dont see them as and bunch of dollars on a rugby field

My wife and I have and still donated to 80/20 as a sign of support

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    8020 TWF quiz night?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    We've had an 8020 special jersey match, haven't we?

vCash
    Bloody Bret Harris! Exactly what in the following quotes could possibly be taken as Pocock wants out of WA?

"James is a hugely talented player but it happened and we have moved on,"
    "How we go without him, we'll have to wait and see. I got along well with James."
    Note the "we" - he's a team player.

Asked whether O'Connor's departure would influence his decision to stay or go, Pocock said: "I haven't thought about it too much. I'll wait and see what happens."
    This one shows to me how much he's considered the loss of O'Connor to hurt the Force. Not a lot. I reckon the backs play better without a 'superstar' as there tends to be an attitude of give it to Rabbit (or Gits) and he'll make something happen. When Rabbit was injured this year the rest of the backs stepped up and took responsibility themselves.

A player like Rabbit is the icing on the cake. Sharpie, Pocock, Pek, Cheese, K-Bomb, Wyksey, Hodgo, McCalman, Brownie, Shetland, these are the types of players I want us to retain.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    We have it was against the tahs last year

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash

Yes I have looked back and seen that was the match

Hi to all
    Yes sorry for my mistake and Now I do remember the game for the wrong reasons .... Well as I said helping David with this cause is better than lining his pockets with millions and that I am sure is what would sway him from leaving... He is just a great guy and I hope he will sign and stay
    I have also seen Rugby Wa are sponsering 80/20 2011 and 2012 great to see

Last edited by Tonkar; 13-11-11 at 11:54.

Rookie
    vCash
    I'd like to see him stay in WA. Give the man his asking price. Quite often in these negotiations the clubs pussy foot around as much as the players do in attempt to bargain them down. He's world class, a strong character in which to 1) Build an image and strong community and commercial presence around in WA and 2) and more importantly, build a successful team culture around. Give him a million, support his charity (dedicate a home game to raising funds for it) and if he wants it anoint him captain either now or after Sharpe departs.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    He is an alpha male who will attract players to play in WA , inclduing any Saffas who might like his work. Like the Du Plessis brothers
    This was tongue in cheek, right?
    Dave seems to be the kind of guy that never says much bad about anyone - except one of the Du Plessis brothers after he tried to rip his head off in the early rounds last year - the game he twisted his knee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast