Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinion please

vCash

Opinion please

If you see a Western Force player out in public, but not on official Force duty, so say at a pub or something, is it okay to go up and talk to them and /or seek autograph or should you leave them alone in their private time??

I'm thinking the latter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The latter. You would be acting like an AFL fan otherwise.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    That's... actually pretty well put...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure they'd appreciate acknowledgement, so you're good to say g'day or similar, but interupting them to ask questions or for autographs etc. uninvited is possibly a bit intrusive.

However, if they are in Force gear - I'd say that's an open invitation.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Given they wouldn't get recognised on a daily basis, I wouldn't think they'd mind. Unless they were at an intimate dinner or something!
    They can always say no if they don't want to be interupted for an autograph

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The latter. You would be acting like an AFL fan otherwise.
    But they are not ALF players. So a nod and hello they wouldn't mind.

I'm sure if they are not busy they will engage.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

I'm sure if they are not busy they will engage.
    But only after they crouch, touch and pause

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    It happened like this - we were walking out of Little Creatures yesterday and my son was wearing his signed 2011 Force cap, (as was his Dad). I noticed someone watching my son as he passed and recognized that it was a Force player. After we'd passed I brought it to my son's attention, and he then yelled out to his Dad who was half keen to go back and get the cap signed (we didn't have this player's signature) but I said no because I didn't want to intrude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    But only after they crouch, touch and pause
    Yeah, except he was a back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    It happened like this - we were walking out of Little Creatures yesterday and my son was wearing his signed 2011 Force cap, (as was his Dad). I noticed someone watching my son as he passed and recognized that it was a Force player. After we'd passed I brought it to my son's attention, and he then yelled out to his Dad who was half keen to go back and get the cap signed (we didn't have this player's signature) but I said no because I didn't want to intrude.
    Tough call, I'd say a Gudday or a handshake's OK, but pestering for an autograph is taking it a bit far.......unless you're a kid of course, only arseholes refuse autographs to kids

C'mon the

vCash
    I'd say that if they are just out and about and you recognise them, then a quick g'day and wish them well for the season. I'm sure they'll appreciate being recognised.

If you have any Force gear on, and a pen, then a signature could be asked for (asking for a signature on non-Force gear, or if you don't have a pen, is just rude).

As Coach said, if they are in Force gear then they are representing the Force and should be prepared for people coming up to them.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm with eley. In a pub or Little Creatures or somewhere I reckon it would be fine. It kind of comes with the territory. Besides I doubt most of the Force backs would be easily recognised by non-die hard fans so they might enjoy it.

I said hello to Nick Cummins a couple of years back at the OBH and I think he was pretty surprised that someone actually knew who he was.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Last time i seen a force (ex) player he came up to me and asked where there toilets where in my building in the cbd.. he smiled a little when i told him by name where they were. Didn’t get his autograph after though didn’t know if he had washed his hands!

I would have done what you had did and not approached him especially in the off season.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    just say hi... unless you know them... what's enough for a preseason november/December meet... you can ask for a date in February on valentines day....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Think I told this one a few years back, but for those who came in late, make of it what you will:

During the Olympics a friend and her partner and I caught up at Doyle’s, the legendary fish restaurant in Watson’s Bay, Sydney. Having jagged a fantastic table outside overlooking Sydney Harbour and the Bridge, we were feeling pretty tip top, until we realised there was a spare table inside where we could not only look over the heads of everyone and out the door to get the same view but also have prime viewing of the tele for the swimming finals including one of Thorpies eventual gold medals. I mean it WAS the Olympics so this was important too! Needless to say we thought we were pretty hot shit. Just as we were settling in to our role of most envied patrons in the house, the entire room started standing and applauding from out on the verandah rolling into the room. Realising it wasn’t for us, despite our lofty position, suddenly Muhammad Ali and his entourage walked through the door and took up a table just below us. We could literally look down their table and see “the Greatest” framed by the door and the Harbour Bridge sitting to hoe down on some fish! Needless to say the room was in chaos for about fifteen minutes while people scrambled to be near him and get something…anything…signed. My friends’ man was a self confessed Ali nut and initially wanted to join the throng. Eventually we talked him (and probably ourselves) down agreeing that not only would it be a further inconvenience to the man and also pretty meaningless to him, it was really enough just to be in the same room and share a pretty special moment. Now admittedly, I have never been that big on autographs anyway, but that experience has helped me make it clearer in my head that to meet these people in a meaningful way is fantastic, but to impose on their private time is pretty self serving and just that, an imposition. I will certainly always remember the experience though, including the Gold Medal

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast