Poll: Should Force players be allowed to play in the NPC/Currie Cup Comps?

Thread: Force Players and the NPC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force Players and the NPC

An update on the situation regarding the rumoured move of some Force players into the NPC for this season from Rugby e News.
    It would appear to be much less than initially rumoured with only two players in the picture in this report:

The Western Force management are apparently going cold on overtures made to Counties Manukau coach Kevin Putt regarding loaning players to the South Auckland province. RugbyEnews understands Force No 8 Tim Davidson was being offered as a possible loan player for Counties in this year's Air New Zealand Cup. However Counties coach Kevin Putt is now baffled after communication from the Force abruptly ceased.

"It's strange because the actual initiative came from their side," says Putt. The Counties coach has tried to contact Force chief executive Peter O'Meara repeatedly with no success. O'Meara told RugbyNews that while Wellington also expressed interest in a Force player, halfback Chris O'Young, the "ARU won't release players for a full competition, so there's not a lot I can do. It's a bit of a showstopper."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I don't think that anything will eventuate out of this. The NZRU is pretty strict when it comes to players playing in NZ and overseas. That's why Tony Brown is playing for the Sharks. He plays in the Northern Hemisphere in our off season and for the Sharks in Super Rugby. He wasn't allowed to play for Otago and a NH team.

On the other hand we could see Force players in the Currie Cup. And who knows, maybe the NZRU have different rules when it comes to NPC and Super Rugby.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't see any problem in players going to the NPC as long as they are playing at a standard that will help with their development. If you could gaurantee that they would get into sides over East that would help in their development then that would be preferable but with the them and us thing it is unlikely. As for staying here I'm not sure the players we are talking about would help a lot with WA rugby development and at this stage it is wiser to ensure our players are getting exposed to the highest level of rugby possible.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Curious.Both Davidson and O'Young were allocated pre season to Palmyra to play when they finished Force duties. Good thing the club wasn't relying on their availability (or any other Force player for that matter).It seems the Force is making decisions to suit its own interests without any concern for the local competition,and has been feeding the clubs B.S. to keep them quiet.All the Force has done with its selective allocation of players is to temporarily strengthen some clubs at the expense of others, only to pull the rug from under them when it comes to their serious part of the season. Look at Wanneroo and Rockingham for example -started with a roar with a few available Force players and have fallen in a hole without them.It would have been fairer and more honest to tell the clubs up front that Force players had bugger all to do with them and to make their own player arrangements.In future I would prefer to see a substatial allocation of profits from Force operations being distributed to it's share holders- the clubs- and for the Force business to run as such,a profit making concern .This would also remove the possibility of the Force structure being manipulated for the benifit of any particular club with influence at the top.All I can say is I 'm glad I'm no longer involved in club administration. It must be a nightmare.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Curious.Both Davidson and O'Young were allocated pre season to Palmyra to play when they finished Force duties. Good thing the club wasn't relying on their availability (or any other Force player for that matter).It seems the Force is making decisions to suit its own interests without any concern for the local competition,and has been feeding the clubs B.S. to keep them quiet.All the Force has done with its selective allocation of players is to temporarily strengthen some clubs at the expense of others, only to pull the rug from under them when it comes to their serious part of the season. Look at Wanneroo and Rockingham for example -started with a roar with a few available Force players and have fallen in a hole without them.It would have been fairer and more honest to tell the clubs up front that Force players had bugger all to do with them and to make their own player arrangements.In future I would prefer to see a substatial allocation of profits from Force operations being distributed to it's share holders- the clubs- and for the Force business to run as such,a profit making concern .This would also remove the possibility of the Force structure being manipulated for the benifit of any particular club with influence at the top.All I can say is I 'm glad I'm no longer involved in club administration. It must be a nightmare.
    That sounds pretty harsh of The Force to do that to clubs. I argue that the important thing for rugby in WA is to ensure that The Force are a winning side first and foremost but there must be some advantage to the WA clubs too. I imagine development of rugby in WA is a long tem plan with The Force success being the foundation of that plan.

However, if what you are saying is a common sentiment of local rugby teams then The Force and Rugby WA need to seriously review their development strategy or communications as it is unacceptable to appear to be not honouring agreements.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    I agree and disagree with some of your points. Firstly,
    "It would have been fairer and more honest to tell the clubs up front that Force players had bugger all to do with them and to make their own player arrangements." - That has been said all along, the players were allocated to clubs, and if they were available to play a few games here and there it was a bonus, it is unfortunate that some clubs did the get wrong end of the stick, but thats just how it worked out. Clubs were told not to rely on these players, as they would not be there for every game.

"In future I would prefer to see a substatial allocation of profits from Force operations being distributed to it's share holders- the clubs- and for the Force business to run as such,a profit making concern." - I couldn't agree more, I think the local clubs should get an even share in the profits made, this will allow clubs to make vital upgrades to their facilities and equipment.