Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sharpe axed from Wallabies

vCash

Sharpe axed from Wallabies

Veteran second rower Nathan Sharpe's Rugby World Cup hopes are in serious doubt after being dumped from the Wallabies squad for Saturday's clash with the All Blacks.

The 33-year-old Western Force captain was overlooked by coach Robbie Deans in favour of returning veteran Dan Vickerman when he named a 24-man touring party on Tuesday for the Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup Test at Auckland's Eden Park.

Sharpe, who has played 95 Tests, must now be only an outside chance to make the World Cup starting next month as NSW Waratahs rookie Sitaleki Timani was also included in the squad ahead of him.

Advertisement: Story continues below The 32-year-old Vickerman played his 56th Test - and the first Test for about three years following a study sabbatical in England - when he started in last month's upset loss to Samoa.

He's now set to vie with Queenslanders James Horwill and Rob Simmons for the second row starting roles.

In the other additions to the 20-man squad from the last-start win over South Africa in Sydney, halfback Luke Burgess returns from injury replacing Nick Phipps as likely back up to Will Genia while winger Lachie Turner was also called in along with Timani.

The squad flies to Auckland on Wednesday.

Wallabies touring squad: Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Pekahou Cowan, Rocky Elsom, Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, James O'Connor, David Pocock, Rob Simmons, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-n...#ixzz1TpDdobWZ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Can only assume Robbie is saving him for RWC otherwise thats crazy

vCash
    Ouch that hurts!!!!!!, for some reason he just does not like him.

I am happy to call for Robbies head, no one should treat Sharpie that way after such a great season for us, time to go Mr Deans, if you cannot show a player like that respect and only want the young light urchins, we are going to come unstuck at RWC, or is that your plan to help NZ.

I am as mad as hell

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Ouch that hurts!!!!!!, for some reason he just does not like him.

I am happy to call for Robbies head, no one should treat Sharpie that way after such a great season for us, time to go Mr Deans, if you cannot show a player like that respect and only want the young light urchins, we are going to come unstuck at RWC, or is that your plan to help NZ.

I am as mad as hell
    Hertryk has probably evaporated into steam. Watch out Aussie Rob (and maybe others)!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Vickerman is Deans love child

The bloke hasn't played professional rugby for years and is a mile off the pace.

His 3rd game of professional rugby in like 3 years is a Tri nations/Bledisloe test against the Blicks

Sharpe was in sensational form for the Force

I don't understand this decision

Vickerman is yesterdays man. I never rated him that highly anyway

Controversy corner

vCash
    Vickerman instead of Sharpie call me a sceptic, but this reeks of some underhanded plot but NSW and JON to again taint anything related to the West.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Axing is a litle sharp... Deans knows what he'll get from Sharpe, he wants to know what he'll get from Timani. I don't think Timani will be in the 22.

Wallabies 22: Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Pekahou Cowan, Rocky Elsom, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, James O'Connor, David Pocock, Rob Simmons, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Vickerman instead of Sharpie call me a sceptic, but this reeks of some underhanded plot but NSW and JON to again taint anything related to the West.
    Well, if (when?) the Wallabies get smashed in the test and possibly the RWC because their only recognised captain is a confused blubbering seagull who can only talk in cliches, it'll have back-fired!

vCash
    Experimentation is over.

This is Bledisloe Cup and a Tri Nations "semi final"

It might also be a dress rehearsal for the RWC final.....same teams, same venue.

That's how the Blicks are viewing it and they want blood!!!!!!!!!

Deans should be picking the best team available for this test.

It would be nice to see the Bledisloe and Tri nations again.......especially in RWC year.

It would be a massive scalp to break the Eden Park hoodoo prior to playing the farkers in the RWC final.

This is the first time I have ever been critical of Deans. This decision stinks

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Experimentation is over.

This is Bledisloe Cup and a Tri Nations "semi final"

This is the first time I have ever been critical of Deans. This decision stinks
    Spot on Rex,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper
    Deans knows what he'll get from Sharpe, he wants to know what he'll get from Timani. I don't think Timani will be in the 22.
    You're dribbling again Mud. If he wants to see what he gets from Timani why won't he pick him in the 22?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    It would be nice to see the Bledisloe and Tri nations again.......especially in RWC year.
    Don't get me wrong, I want the boys to get a win at RWC, but right now I'd take the Bledisloe. It's been the pinnacle for so many years. Seems almost as long as our current losing streak. I can hardly remember that golden stretch at the turn of the Century.

Dingo Deans has pulled the wrong rein here. Even if we manage an unlikely win, I'll still think this selection was a f@ck up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You're dribbling again Mud. If he wants to see what he gets from Timani why won't he pick him in the 22?
    training needs and he needs a spare if Vicks goes lame.. ... Sharpie gets to see the kids...

vCash
    He doesn't have a good reason for leaving him out - certainly not based on form or anything rational from what we can see. If anyone's got the inside story on this Dean's reasons, please post them to put us out of our misery.

Champion
    vCash
    Sharpie will be gutted.......but i think he will be theere at the RWC they need experiance in the engine room..... I reckon Vickerman and Sharpie will be the 4 and 5 with Horwill on the bench for the RWC...... Good to see Pek still there for how long...? and Hodgsie.
    All Blacks by 16 points

vCash
    Vickerman is a better player than Sharpe...bottom line. Yes he hasn't played in a while but there are enough matches before the big ones at the RWC to play him into match fitness

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast