Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Graham going back to future with Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Graham going back to future with Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    July 29, 2011, 7:24 am

Western Force coach Richard Graham is not only bringing new faces to his 2012 Super squad but a new shape, adding strength to the back line.

His 30-man squad for next season will have at least nine new players and a 50-50 split between forwards and backs.

Graham wants more depth in the back line because several times last season he was down to the barest minimum.

Twice he only had nine fit players and on four occasions just 10 available for the back line and reserves bench.

"If you look historically at Super Rugby, the outside backs tend to get most collision injuries or muscle injuries," Graham said.

"At times last year we actually didn't have any spare fit backs available.

"It puts you in a position where there is no competition at training for positions. It was almost a case of last man standing got the nod."

He still has three back-line positions vacant but it is understood a contract has been offered to one outside back.

The club's international marquee signing will fill another back-line spot, but Graham is giving nothing away.

"I could bring in an inside back or a back three player as the marquee. I just want to bring in the best I can find," he said.

Two players will be battling for each of the starting scrum-half and fly-half spots and 11 players for the centres and outside backs jumpers.

Graham is still considering his options for a fourth second- rower and also whether Tevita Metuisela will be re-signed.

The finished product will have four props, two hookers, four second-rowers and five back-rowers.

"If you look at our forwards at the moment, (Sam) Wykes and (Ben) McCalman give us enough versatility in back row and second row cover," Graham said.

The Force Super squad has a $4.4 million salary cap but five more players will be contracted to an extended rookie squad.

2012 SQUAD *

Props: * Pek Cowan, Kieran Longbottom, Salesi Ma'afu, Tetera Faulkner

Hookers: * Nathan Charles, Ben Whittaker

Second-rowers: * Nathan Sharpe, Sam Wykes, Toby Lynn. (One spot open)

Back-rowers: * David Pocock, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman. (One spot open)

Scrum-halves: * Brett Sheehan, Justin Turner.

Fly-halves: * Willie Ripia, James Stannard.

Backs: * Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, Gene Fairbanks, Alfie Mafi, Cameron Shepherd, Rory Sidey, Winston Stanley, Jordan Rapana. (Three spots open. One signing imminent. Another will be the marquee signing.)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...re-with-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Still such a stupid move by the ARU to approve a longer season but cut squads.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    July 29, 2011, 7:24 am

His 30-man squad for next season will have at least nine new players and a 50-50 split between forwards and backs.

He still has three back-line positions vacant but it is understood a contract has been offered to one outside back.

The club's international marquee signing will fill another back-line spot, but Graham is giving nothing away.

"I could bring in an inside back or a back three player as the marquee. I just want to bring in the best I can find," he said.

Two players will be battling for each of the starting scrum-half and fly-half spots and 11 players for the centres and outside backs jumpers.

Graham is still considering his options for a fourth second- rower and also whether Tevita Metuisela will be re-signed.

The finished product will have four props, two hookers, four second-rowers and five back-rowers.

"If you look at our forwards at the moment, (Sam) Wykes and (Ben) McCalman give us enough versatility in back row and second row cover," Graham said.

The Force Super squad has a $4.4 million salary cap but five more players will be contracted to an extended rookie squad.

2012 SQUAD *

Props: * Pek Cowan, Kieran Longbottom, Salesi Ma'afu, Tetera Faulkner

Hookers: * Nathan Charles, Ben Whittaker

Second-rowers: * Nathan Sharpe, Sam Wykes, Toby Lynn. (One spot open)

Back-rowers: * David Pocock, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman. (One spot open)

Scrum-halves: * Brett Sheehan, Justin Turner.

Fly-halves: * Willie Ripia, James Stannard.

Backs: * Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, Gene Fairbanks, Alfie Mafi, Cameron Shepherd, Rory Sidey, Winston Stanley, Jordan Rapana. (Three spots open. One signing imminent. Another will be the marquee signing.)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...re-with-force/
    We really need this marquee signing to be a good one. Wonder who the imminent signing is?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Are Brown, Mafi and Sidey confirmed?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Are Brown, Mafi and Sidey confirmed?
    This is the first I have heard that they on for 2012 and I'm sure Nick is correct

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    30 man squad is aimed to spread the players out. It puts Australian S15 teams in a difficult position but hey the Reds did win this year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    We really need this marquee signing to be a good one. Wonder who the imminent signing is?
    Hope the marquee is Frans Steyn, we need someone with the X factor and he can certainly kick. the artilce is certainly intermating big and strong not small and wily

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Does Frans Steyn have X-factor?

He has a big kick and a cavalier approach to taking ridiculous drop goal attempts. The last couple of times I have seen him play for the Springboks and a couple of years back for the Barbarians I couldn't see why anyone makes a big fuss about him. I suppose there are worse players to pick up than Steyn though.

I liked the idea of Cory Jane. Shame that didn't go ahead.

vCash
    Looking at the current backs that have signed on for next year, I would want to see at least another option apart from Shepherd and Dellit who can play at 15. With reduced squad numbers for next year, the guys who can play in multiple positions are going to be like gold in the squad.

That's where I'm not sure what other position fairbanks can cover other than 12, where we now seem to have a couple of different options there (Stanley, Fairbanks, Sidey)

vCash
    Hosea Gear is still uncontracted.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    30 man squad is aimed to spread the players out. It puts Australian S15 teams in a difficult position but hey the Reds did win this year...
    Using 36 players in the process...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    What about lambie? Seems to have the x factor and can also play a lot of positions.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would prefer to put somones pecker in the mincer than have Frans Steyn, we have had enough wunderkinds who believe their own press for this decade.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Great point.

and they had a lot of injuries

winners are grinners

losers blame every body and every thing

RG is not a good coach, nor a good tactician. The bloke isn't up to the level. He should try for a 1st XV for his next job. that's about his level.

Also........too many kiwis

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Have Kyle Godwin introduced to Super Rugby from 15. I don't know if we need another fullback but if we had a winger who could also play at the back it would be handy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast