Thread: Rats out of the Woods

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rats out of the Woods

RUGBY UNION
    28 JUL 11 @ 03:30PM BY JON GEDDES RUGBY UNION

Sam Harris was a proud coach on Wednesday night.
    Shute Shield

Warringah 23

Eastwood 19

PROUD Warringah coach Sam Harris described his side’s shock win over the previously undefeated Eastwood at Pittwater Park on Wednesday night as one of the highlights of his football career.

It was the upset of the season as Eastwood’s 15-game undefeated run came to a stunning end at the hands of the underdogs who are running second last on the ladder.

“It was an amazing feeling,” Harris said.

While he has enjoyed some great moments playing for the Waratahs, Western Force, in Japan and in the NRL with Manly and the Wests Tigers, that win was right up there.

“I thought beating Randwick in the first round was one of the highlights, but it had nothing on that performance,” Harris admitted.

The coach had wanted to play the game on Sunday as the Rats would have been able to field a stronger side with the possible addition of some Wallabies.

But it ended up in Warringah’s favour that they played at Warriewood on a cold night.

“We just turned up, for some reason the boys like playing at night at Rat Park and I don’t think Eastwood wanted to be there,” Harris said.

“When they were behind they started compounding mistakes and that was due to the pressure we were putting on them.

“The boys just kept getting up and making tackles, getting up and making tackles - it was really gritty.”

And the Rats had two players sin-binned in the final 10 minutes, but still managed to hold Eastwood out as they pressured their line.

The significance of Warringah’s performance should not be underestimated as the Eastwood juggernaut has dominated the competition and still sit 15 points clear on top of the table.

“To be honest, I think that is the only loss they will have all year and is a feather in our cap,” Harris said.

Prominent in the win was Warringah back-rower Mark Porpiglia, who just kept going for the whole game.

Western Force halfback Brett Sheehan, in his first game for the club this season was a standout and lifted the players around him.

The win will give Warringah a huge boost heading into tomorrow’s game against Easts at Woollahra Oval.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...-of-the-woods/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Hear Brett may have done his medial?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Really? I heard he was off with 10 min to go.

vCash
    Go the Rats!!!

vCash
    Brumbies had a training camp at Narrabeen this week and Jake White didn't release any players for the rescheduled Shute Shield match due to poor weather. Eastwood didn't have star scrum half Nic White... hence the loss... Rats have been rubbish this year...

Manly Daily article
    Lane blasts White for not letting Smith play

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...ng-smith-play/

Shute Shield Manly 28 v Easts 20

MARLINS coach Tim Lane has described the release of Super Rugby players to their clubs as a joke after Brumbies centre Andrew Smith was prevented from playing for the Marlins against Easts on Wednesday night.

Despite not being able to finalise his side until Tuesday night, the Marlins still beat Easts 28-20 in their deferred game at Manly Oval and cemented second spot on the ladder.

Smith has been in camp with the Brumbies at Narrabeen this week with new coach Jake White.

“Andrew Smith called me about 5pm on Tuesday and said they weren’t letting any of the (Brumbies) backs play,” Lane said.

“I haven’t heard from Jake White, you would expect a bit of common courtesy - but nothing.

“For them to rule out Andrew Smith and (Easts five-eighth) Matt Toomua out for no reason is a joke; they are keeping them all in cotton wool.”

While Smith did not turn out, Brumbies teammate, back-rower Michael Hooper played an outstanding game.

And Smith will be back for Saturday’s game against West Harbour at Concord Oval.

It was an impressive display by Manly who showed a real willingness to play an expansive game. “I was happy with the performance,” Lane said

Rookie
    vCash
    T.G. Bretts operation on his knee was today. Lets hope for a full and speedy recovery mate.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sheehan and Brownie in hospitals beds next to each other would be a sight!

vCash
    I hope they would have separate TV's.. I'd love to see them arguing over what channel to watch!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Brownie: I'd thump you but for my shoulder.
    Ant: Yeah, well, I'd kick your arse but for my knee.
    Then bitchslaps all 'round from the floor nurse...

vCash
    doesn't sound like victory to me...