Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Named to Face South Africa

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Named to Face South Africa

Australia will field nine of the players who started in last year’s history-making win over South Africa at Bloemfontein after the Qantas Wallabies combination for Saturday night’s opening Test in the Castrol Edge Tri Nations was named today.

The Qantas Wallabies beat the Springboks 41-39 at Bloemfontein last year to secure Australia’s first win on the high veldt in the Republic for 47 years.

The epic win, which was achieved by a penalty goal from beyond halfway after the final siren, also secured for Australia the Mandela Challenge Plate.

The trophy, which has been contested by the two countries since 2000, will go on the line again when the two teams meet for the first time since that dramatic South African evening, at ANZ Stadium in Sydney this weekend.

NSW Waratahs fullback Kurtley Beale, who held his nerve to kick the penalty goal which won that match, is one of seven changes to the Australian run-on line-up from last Sunday’s Test against Samoa.

Two further newcomers have been included on the bench as Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has strengthened the side from that which played Samoa.

Outside of the return of Beale, the other changes to the run on combination see James O’Connor return to the wing in the place of Rod Davies, flyhalf Quade Cooper and halfback Will Genia replace Matt Giteau and Nick Phipps respectively, while additions in the forward pack see flanker David Pocock and locks James Horwill and Rob Simmons take the places of Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe and Sitaleki Timani.

The return of Pocock, who missed last Sunday’s match to allow a niggly foot injury further time to rehabilitate, should add extra presence to the Australian breakdown, with last year’s John Eales Medal winner having been a major obstacle for South Africa in the past.

Horwill returns to the Australian line-up for the first time since the 33-12 win over Wales at Cardiff which signed off the 2009 Test season, with the Queensland Reds skipper having missed all of last year’s Test campaign after blowing knee ligaments during that year’s Super Rugby competition.

He had played all 14 Tests of the 2009 season.

Horwill will team up in the second row for the first time in the gold jersey with his provincial team-mate, Rob Simmons, after the latter established himself with the Wallabies last year.

Simmons featured four times off the bench during last year’s Tri Nations before significantly starting in Australia’s final two Tests of the Spring Tour, which included the record-breaking 59-16 drubbing of the then Six Nations champions France, in Paris.

The two second rowers were key figures for the Reds during their charge to this year’s Super Rugby title.

After being named last week but forced to withdraw on the eve of the match due to a minor hamstring strain, James O’Connor has recovered and will return to the wing and resume the responsibility for goal-kicking in the Australian side.

His last Test outing for Australia saw the 21-year-old contribute a record 29 points to the humiliation of the French.

O’Connor was cleared after under-going scans yesterday which showed no damage to the hamstring which troubled him last week.

Inside O’Connor in the backline, Cooper and Genia resume their places as Australia’s first choice inside back combination, having assumed those roles through seven of the final eight Tests that the Qantas Wallabies played in 2010.

Queensland Reds hooker Saia Fainga’a has been included on the bench after overcoming a hand injury from the Super Rugby final which kept him out last week.

Twin brother Anthony has also been brought onto the bench, a position from where he has earned three of his four Test caps to date.

Anthony’s most recent Test appearance came against New Zealand at Sydney in the final match of last year’s Tri Nations.

After coming up short last Sunday against the physical Samoans, Deans says his men know they must raise the bar “significantly” on their collective performance.

“Last weekend, our standards were inadequate for what is required at Test level and we paid the price for that,” Deans says.

“There are no short cuts in Test rugby. There is no substitute for rolling up the sleeves and doing the little tasks that, while they might not carry the glamour, are critical for the overall success of the team.

“Last Sunday was a massive wake up call for the group. We can’t turn back the clock on that performance, it will stay with us as a reminder, but we do have total control as to how we respond.

“That is the challenge that we have ahead of us.”

Australia has not won the Tri Nations since 2001 but did beat South Africa in the first match of last year’s series at Brisbane.

Saturday night represents the first appearance by the Springboks in Sydney since 2007.

The Qantas Wallabies side to play South Africa in the opening match of the Castrol Edge Tri Nations Series at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Saturday night, kicking off at 8pm [AEST], is:

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
    14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
    13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
    12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
    11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
    3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
    17. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)
    18. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
    20. Scott Higginbotham (Western Force)
    21. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
    22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

Saturday night’s match is the first of the annual Mandela Challenge Plate series, which will this year be played over a two-match programme, after Australia reclaimed the trophy with a two-one series success in 2010. A win on home soil will allow Australia to retain the silverware regardless of the outcome in the return match in Durban on August 13.

Australia v South Africa @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney – Historical Notes

• This will be the 75th meeting between Australia and South Africa at all venues. Australia has won 29 and South Africa 44, while the 2001 match in Perth was drawn 14-14.
    • Prior to South Africa’s readmission to international sport in 1992, Australia had won just seven of the 31 matches played.
    • The scoreboard stands at 22 wins to 20 in Australia’s favour, along with a draw, for the period since then.
    • South Africa’s most recent win on Australian soil was a 32-25 success at Perth in 2009. That win was one of three South Africa has achieved from 19 matches in this country through the Tri Nations era, which kicked off in 1996. All three of those wins were claimed in Western Australia.
    • This will be the 30th Test played by Australia in Homebush Bay, winning 21 of them for a 72% winning ratio.
    • Crowds of over 100,000 attended the first two Bledisloe Cup Tests at the venue in 1999 and 2000.
    • South Africa has only appeared four times at the Olympic Stadium, debuting 11 years ago. Australia has won all four Tests between the sides at the ground and has won the last six in the city against the Springboks since they were readmitted to international rugby in 1992, after South Africa prevailed 19-12 on its return to Sydney in 1993.
    • While South Africa didn’t win the 2006 Test between the two nations at the Olympic Stadium, the two-point margin of defeat still represented a remarkable turnaround after the Springboks had been flogged 49-0 by the same Australian side in Brisbane a week earlier.
    • Last year’s 30-13 win over South Africa in Brisbane represented just the second time in the last 11 seasons that Australia had opened the Tri Nations with a win.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
    14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
    13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
    12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
    11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
    5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
    4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
    3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
    17. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)
    18. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
    19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
    20. Scott Higginbotham (Western Force)
    21. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
    22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

What do they know that we don't

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    im more gutted about sharpie being left out of the starting 15 than anything else... but a much more balanced team otherwise..
    i also noted that we only have 1 back in the reserves, risky.... i wouldnt call phipps an adequate backup after his last performance..

vCash
    How the heck did Phipps keep his spot in the squad???

vCash
    Burgess probably still nursing injury thats why Phipps around, I too am absolutely gutted about Sharpie, what has Deans got against him, he has dropped him in previous years, and this year he was an absolute stand out week in week out. Last week he keeps Timani on and takes off Sharpe.

I would make Sharpe captain never mind benched, and how the hell does Rocky get off that emabarresment last week, surely the captain should have fallen on his sword, or has JON tied up something when he brought him back from Ireland.

I am mad as hell!!!!!!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Deans know what he gets from Sharpe. He's looking to see how the reds combo works in the second row. Same goes for Giteau, Deans knows what he has to offer and wants to see how the 2 younger 12s shape up McCabe and Faingaa. Giving Phipps a bench seat isn't such a bad idea before he loses all confidence. Hodgo got another run to cover Pococks foot. I'd expect to see Higginbotham come on as a No.8

Only 2 Waratahs... ouch

vCash
    Mudskipper, after last week I think we can ill afford to experiment, especially against a weaker than usual springbok side, another loss will set us back years

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    another loss will set us back years
    Hopefully back to 1999

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Mudskipper, after last week I think we can ill afford to experiment, especially against a weaker than usual springbok side, another loss will set us back years
    Boks are doing what we're doing and trying to unearth some talent before the RWC. However I'm sure they'll take to opportunity and play well. There is likely only one place for either McCabe or Faingaa as Giteau will be back up 10 & 12.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The back 3 are settled (unless Mitchell recovers). McCabe and Faingaa will fight it out for 12, if Barnes is still out. Good to have them competing, and McCabe did alright last Sun. AAC needs to play himself into form. Hopefully he will.

The halves pick themselves.

With Benn Robinson and Taf out, Moore and Alexander are (probably) the next best. I rate Kepu above Slipper. Might be worth trying Kepu at tighthead and giving Pek a run at LH. Faingaa (S) is not a test hooker.

The locks are a lottery. Sharpie usually calls the lineouts but Simmons does for the Reds. Will be interesting to see how they get on. Sharpie will be in the run-on team come RWC.

Poey is a natural choice, McCalman perhaps a bit lucky, though Higginbotham likely to get lots of game time. Elsom should be dispensed with. Perhaps this is a last face-saving selection. Poey, Higginbotham and McCalman would be a better back row, with Samo and Dave Dennis backing up (until Palu is back).

Interesting call to have a 5/2 split on the bench. I think Deansy will want to lift the tempo later in the game, and bringing Hodgo and Higginbotham on will help that. We sacrifice a bit in size with Hodgo though.

vCash
    Hate to ruin everyone’s day but I can’t see Deans and JON not backing the Captain Rocky Elsom all the way to the RWC final... Its just not a distraction they want to send to the media or team.

Let us hope like AAC RockyE plays himself into form... Because we're screw if both can't...

vCash
    I like this article better - I'm usually supportive of Gits, but this made me laugh! I don't think he played a great game last week and now he hasn't even got a spot on the bench.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226097534927

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Giteau is a senior playmaker on his last year of he's Wallabies contract, wisely Deans is looking at the others to work out who will be in the Wallabies 30 man squad as a defensive 12 as the Wallabies need one to beat the ABS SBW.

I guarantee come selection Matt Giteau will be there covering 10 and 12 for the Wallabies at the RWC. 2 tries scored last weekend 1 by Digby and 1 by Giteau. This weekend there are only 2 backs on the Wallabies bench which are a rookie scrum half and a rookie 12.

The Wallabies need 30 men to win the RWC in 2011 and experienced guys who can shut a match down at the end like Sharpe and Giteau.

vCash
    so 1 rebel, 2 'tahs, 5 brumbies, 6 force and 8 reds

says a little something about the 'tahs I'm thinking

vCash
    Just heard Deans on the radio saying that there is a place for Giteau in the squad, they're just not sure where!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast