Thread: David Pocock and Jannie Du Plessis feud peters out before it gets interesting

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

David Pocock and Jannie Du Plessis feud peters out before it gets interesting

James Hooper From: The Sunday Telegraph July 17, 2011 12:00AM

Flying flanker: the Wallabies Number 7 David Pocock. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Courier-Mail
    IT was the bizarre Twitter feud sparked by one of rugby union's deep-thinking nice guys and prompted by a jiu-jitsu style tackle in this year's Super 15 competition.

When Wallabies flanker David Pocock became the victim of a Jannie du Plessis headlock in March, the normally mild-mannered Western Force star let fly.

Sharks prop du Plessis had taken offence at Pocock tackling his brother Bismark, leading him to rush in and produce what can at best be described as a suspect tackle.

With his head being wrenched away from his body, Pocock sustained a knee injury and was sidelined for six weeks.

Still simmering after the incident, Pocock used the social media sphere to take a shot at du Plessis.

The Wallaby flanker quoted the Springboks prop as warning him: "Next time, I'll break your f ... ... neck".

Pocock added: "Jannie du Plessis, Sharks prop and all-round nice guy. Haha, what a good bloke ... "

The incident quickly made headlines and led to du Plessis phoning Pocock to apologise.

Sadly, there will be no re-match next Saturday when the Wallabies host the Springboks in the Tri-Nations opener at ANZ Stadium, with du Plessis one of several South African stars to have been rested from the tour.

Pocock and du Plessis have since settled the feud in an equally-bizarre fashion, with the pair having a long telephone conversation discussing everything from farming to the length of the Super 15 season.

"Me and Jannie have sorted it out now. He rang up and we had a really good chat and it's behind us," Pocock said.

"At the time it wasn't great, but I've moved on. He's actually a pretty good fella.

"He rang up to see how I was going and find out how bad I was and also apologise for some of the heat of the moment stuff.

"Then we just talked about farming and stuff for a bit and ended up having a good old chat.

"They're farmers, the du Plessis (boys), so they love it, and I grew up on a farm in Zimbabwe.

"He was saying how towards the end of the Super season being in cities so much he just can't handle it.

"I said I feel the same way.

"It's always good to get out to the country."

And so what could have developed into one of rugby union's best grudge matches come the World Cup in September and October has been watered down.

As for Pocock's injured knee, he's had the surgery, made a complete recovery and is ready to feature in his first World Cup for the Wallabies this year.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans opted to rest Pocock from the Wallabies side to play Samoa at ANZ Stadium today.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226095885103

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Slow day hey Mr Hooper?

Maybe if we were playing the boks this week...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    good to see the eastern states journos are on the ball?!?!

didnt this peter out back in february, whats in tomorrows paper a FIREPOWER story perhaps. wankers