Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012 preseason begins today

vCash

Arrow New coach could mean new spot for McCabe Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-unio

HE MAY have finished the World Cup as Robbie Deans's first-choice No. 12, but Pat McCabe may be overlooked by Brumbies coach Jake White in favour of Christian Lealiifano for the inside-centre position and wear the No. 13 jumper.

McCabe, in Sydney for the Rugby Union Players' Association awards lunch, said he was on track for an early recovery from the shoulder reconstruction he underwent six weeks ago and could return in round one for the ACT franchise.

But the 23-year-old said it's all but confirmed he'll start the season outside of Matt Toomua and Lealiifano, adding further intrigue to the Wallabies' playmaking combination next year. James O'Connor starred at No. 10 on the spring tour of Britain in place of the injured Quade Cooper, while Reds livewire Ben Tapuai has entered the equation with Berrick Barnes at inside-centre.

''Position-wise, I don't know to be honest,'' McCabe said. ''From speaking with Jake, I'm not sure that I'll be playing 12 at the Brumbies.

''I asked Bernie [backs coach Stephen Larkham] the other day and he just said to make sure I know how to play 12, 13, 11, 14 and 15.

''So I have no idea yet, but I'm not too worried.

''Jake has spoken about a few things he'd like to see me improve on and what he wants me to do for the place and position-wise, I think he's settled on Matt Toomua and Christian for the main playmaking roles.

Meanwhile, Wallabies and Western Force second-rower Nathan Sharpe was awarded the players' association medal for excellence by his peers, beating David Pocock 96 votes to 90.

It's the third time he has taken the award, also winning in 2002 and 2006.

Tapuai won the newcomer of the year award, while Pocock was recognised for his work in the wider community, which includes his charity named eightytwentyvision.org

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1gpgwXH00

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Lightbulb No more leadership group for Brumbies

ACT Brumbies coach Jake White will abandon the concept of a leadership group in the hope that it empowers his squad to have a greater say during the Super Rugby season.
    White will wait until closer to his team's first trial before deciding who will replace Stephen Hoiles as the Brumbies' captain.

While his predecessors opted to have a handful of senior players in a leadership group helping the captain, White wants an open environment to encourage his players to have appropriate input when necessary. It's part of his plan to ensure his young squad is enthusiastic and brimming with confidence in his first year in charge.

But while the departure of Hoiles, Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom and a host of international players has left a leadership hole, White is far from fazed at not having a captain six weeks out from the season.

Instead, he believes it's ''healthy'' for his squad and he could wait until the Brumbies' trial against the Western Force in Darwin on February 4 before making an announcement.

''I see it as a massive positive we have no captain yet, it's not like we're all over the place,'' White said.

''I think there's more vibe and more energy from everyone, and that's what I want.''

In previous years the Brumbies were blessed with leaders of the ilk of Brett Robinson, George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock, George Smith, Stephen Larkham, Hoiles and Giteau.

But while the Brumbies no longer boast an extended list of stars, White has no doubt he has plenty of candidates capable of stepping up as the skipper. Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe are all established Wallabies while recruit Ben Mowen is a former Australian under-21s captain and will be the Brumbies' chief lineout caller.

Prop Dan Palmer is the scrum leader, Matt Toomua calls the plays in the back line and Nic White, Peter Kimlin and Christian Lealiifano have shown leadership qualities.

Regardless of who White chooses, he has already made the decision to get rid of the leadership group. The former South African World Cup-winning mentor prefers one leader with equal input from the rest of his players.

''I'm watching the dynamic of the group and I haven't had to rush into anything. We've got aspiring leaders and people are showing they want to be part of the team,'' White said. ''My style is I will have interaction with players on various days and I want everyone to feel they're contributing. One day I might have lunch with one group or meet with another, there doesn't need to be a leadership group. If you make a leadership group of five guys, there's a sixth guy wondering why he's not in it.

''Maybe it has worked for the Brumbies in the past, but it was also a different group of players and coaches ... with a young group in terms of combinations, I want to afford everyone the opportunity to feel a part of it.''

With the Brumbies' round one clash against the Force on February 24 fast approaching, White will unleash a full-strength line-up in the first trial in Darwin. He wants to test his players to make sure he finds the right combinations for the season.

White has started his team planning with a clean slate. Very few positions in his line-up have been cemented and form in the trials will guide White's vision for round one.

Back-rower Mowen said the Brumbies were still developing their combinations, but was confident the team was on the path to success.

''We know the standards we're trying to set for preparation and converting that into games,'' Mowen said. ''What we've shown is we're starting to correct things and move towards that game situation.

''At this stage everyone needs an opportunity to prove themselves, everyone will play in those trials and that makes it hard to get consistency.

''But we've accommodated that well and I think we're moving in the right direction.''

BRUMBIES TRIALS:
    February 4: v Western Force in Darwin

February 11: v Queensland Reds in Cairns

February 16: v ACT XV at Viking Park

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

vCash

Brumby stranded as Japanese club refuses early release

A contract stand-off has left monster ACT Brumbies recruit Fotu Auelua stranded in Japan just 35 days out from the opening game of the Super Rugby season.

Despite requesting an early release from his deal with NTT Communications to join his new Brumbies teammates, Auelua still doesn't know when he will arrive in Canberra.

The 119kg wrecking ball is the only member of Jake White's squad who is not at pre-season training before the season-opener against the Western Force on February 24.

The Japanese regular season finishes on February 5, but NTT Communications is in line to make a wildcard playoff which could limit Auelua to just a few days with the Brumbies before they take on the Force.

Making matters worse for the powerful No8 is that he is nursing a medial ligament strain and will not play for the next two weeks.

When Auelua injured his knee, he asked NTT Communications if he could be released early to give him more preparation time with the Brumbies, but his request was denied.

''Obviously Jake would like me [in Canberra] as soon as possible and I was keen to get there to try to catch up with training,'' Auelua said.

''I've asked a couple of times if I could be released [from Japan] and they said no so I respect their decision.

''I'm contracted here and I enjoy it here, but at the same time I feel like I should be with [the Brumbies] getting ready for the season.''

Given Auelua's limited preparation time, he does not expect to be in selection contention for the round one match.

But he has vowed to arrive in the capital injury free and nearing peak fitness to try to fast-track his bid to make his Super Rugby debut.

When Auelua does join the Brumbies, he will be locked in a battle with Ben Mowen, Ita Vaea and Colby Faingaa to win a starting spot.

The 27-year-old has spent his career playing in France for US Dax and Toulon before moving to Japan last year to join NTT Communications.

He has established himself as a feared ball-runner and his 189cm, 119kg frame has the potential to leave a path of destruction in Super Rugby.

While Auelua is unlikely to feature in the starting XV until he has had sufficient time training with the Brumbies, forwards coach Laurie Fisher and White are starting to get an idea of how their forward pack will look.

Mowen will be the chief lineout caller and can play at the back of the scrum or at blindside flanker.

Damaging ball-runner Vaea burst into Super Rugby last season and played almost every game in his debut campaign.

''[Fotu's] explosive, has the power, strong carry and can hit, he's a very damaging player,'' Fisher said.

''The good thing is we've got flexibility in selection [for the back row], we've got explosive players and we have a choice of guys who bring a different skillset.''

vCash
    So his injured and stranded in Japan, for a bloke not know for placing a impetus on his own fitness, I can't see this been a good thing...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I suppose the silver lining is that at least Vaea gets a chance to shine. Auelua should probably have always been playing off the bench anyway.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Good to see that Auelua is coming from a team which is doing well... Good mind set.... He'll take a little while to slip in... thats OK, its a long season... look'n forward to seeing him play, meanwhile heres something to watch...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xcj36mBYo"]Fotu Auelua 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

Veteran
    vCash
    interesting, he seems to have a little bit of a problem with ball security, solid under the high ball, and no fend. otherwise, he looks fairly solid, good passing too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    interesting, he seems to have a little bit of a problem with ball security, solid under the high ball, and no fend. otherwise, he looks fairly solid, good passing too
    I'm sure he can be better, isn't that why he's coming to the new Brumbies Wallaby factory?

vCash

Thumbs up Brumbies 2012: New coach, new players, new attitude

So here we are on the precipice ready to dive into Super Rugby Season 2012. I am ready to move on from the debacle that was the Brumbies last season and the bewildering meanderings of the Wallabies at Rugby World Cup 2011.

So I thought in order to banish my memories of the Brumbies last year, I will give my opinion on how they will fare this year.

I am sitting here at a Canberra institution, All Bar Nun, the scene of many a football occasion, and the Brumbies have run of the place after finals victories. Sadly, it is in its last week of operation, but in this place I can see similarities to the Brumbies.

It had some high times (interestingly around the time the Brumbies did) but now it has the look and feel of a place content with where it is. Not moving on, just existing, much the same as the Brumbies of recent times.

I don’t want to dwell on the last few years, I think enough has been said and it should be left in the past. I previously wrote an article with some suggestions on how the Brumbies can once again be a force in Super Rugby. There wasn’t much to it, simple stuff really:

1. Get a good coach on board.
    2. Get fans to buy back in, by getting around town.
    3. Get in some young talent.
    4. Upgrade the coaching panel.

I am not sure if the Brumbies officialdom read the article, but it looks like they taken significant strides towards my suggestions: They got a good coach in Jake White. Point one tick!

The entire squad now plays in the local competition and I see more players around town. For example they cooked the free breakfast at Australia day, and I sat next to Jerry Yanuyanutawa at Lonsdale St Roasters for coffee this morning. Point 2 tick!

They recruited a number of young guys including Sam Carter, Cam Crawford, Ruaidhri Murphy and Siliva Siliva. Point 3 tick!

They got Laurie Fisher to return as forwards coach and Eddie Jones on consultancy. Point 4 tick!
    Additionally the Brumbies have recruited some size in the backs and forwards. Leon Power and Fotu Auelua will add some starch and go forward. I am especially keen to see how Auelua goes, having watched some of his runs on Youtube from his time at Toulon, he looks damaging.

I am also keen to see how the new halves and inside backs get on this year. In my opinion Toomua and Lealiifano have not been able to show how good they are.

I still believe that Lealiifano is one of the most underrated players going around. I am not saying he is as good as Cooper or even Barnes but he is better than he is given credit for. It will take these two good players to lead the team forward.

The squad this year looks to have a lot of hunger that has been missing over the last few years. The Brumbies seem to have been accepting of losses, and comfortable because their positions were safe. This new bunch expect to win. A sucessful team needs that attitude.

Compare the Brumbies to the Australian Cricket team. For the last couple of years, the Australian XI look content in a draw, a far cry from a few years ago where anything but victory inside 3 days was seen as failure.

As I sit here watching the 4th test against India, I am looking at a team where once again victory is mandatory. The Brumbies should take note of this- the winning attitude is why the Brumbies have succeeded in both winning and growing a fan base in the past.

So to Super Rugby 2012: what do I expect from the Brumbies? This is a delicate question, as in the eyes of many fans nothing but another title will suffice, but I think a bit of reality has to come into this year.

The Brumbies are moving in the right direction. For me personally, all I want to see this year is the return of hunger in the team. That desire to win. I am not expecting the Brumbies to win every game, in fact if they lost them all this year but give 110 percent in every game, I will be more satisfied than I was last year.

With this squad I think that it will take two to three years before they are a constant force, but they will knock over a few teams this year.

So with my membership renewed, and a new spring in my step, a new look team with a new attitude, I can’t wait for season 2012 to kick off. And this year I plan to go to all the games, so I’ll see you at the game!

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/28...-new-attitude/

Go those Brumbies!

Don't you love an optimistic devoted one eyed fan...

Last edited by mudskipper; 29-01-12 at 18:18.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Is there a credit/link for that article?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    well it couldn't have been Muddie,the Author was writing from Canberra!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    it's a fan article from the roar ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Is there a credit/link for that article?

Oops credit link below; and I'm not the author

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/28...-new-attitude/

vCash
    Brumbies set to unlock super Power

Here's the next potential Wallabies lock you've never heard of.

Despite Leon Power being yet to play a Super Rugby match, ACT Brumbies coach Jake White is convinced his unknown second-rower has what it takes to play for the Wallabies.

Plucked from New Zealand's ITM Cup late last year, Power was recruited to add muscle and height to the Brumbies' forward pack.

He is a dual citizen and eligible to play for either the Wallabies or the All Blacks. But White has pin-pointed Australia's lock and prop stocks as the Wallabies' biggest weaknesses and believes Power is the perfect man to bolster the Test second row.

Wallabies veterans Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman are nearing the end of their respective careers while James Horwill and Rob Simmons are forging a successful partnership.

World Cup-winning coach White said Power was primed to ''make a name for himself'' and play international rugby.

''He's got a massive engine and he works hard ... no one knows him and one of the things I'm chuffed about is his over 2m tall and there aren't many locks like him running around,'' White said.

''I've got no doubt in my mind [he could play at Test level]. The two things I enjoy about him is his work rate and his basic skills are great.

''You look at Australia's locks, there's James Horwill and Rob Simmons, but we've got to find ways to blood locks and get a guy like [Power] who is in the prime of his career in terms of he can really make a name for himself.

''Prop and lock are areas where all five Australian sides need to be boosted and that's why I'm so happy I've got a guy like Leon.'' White and Brumbies forwards coach Laurie Fisher recruited Power to Canberra after watching him play in the ITM Cup.

The 25-year-old has spent most of his life in New Zealand, but was born in Sydney and can opt to play for the All Blacks or Wallabies.

If he is called into either national squad, he will be forced to choose between the countries.

But Power says he's not ready to make the choice.

Instead, he is focused on cementing his place in White's starting XV.

''I don't know what I would do, I guess I would cross that bridge when I got to it,'' Power said.

''I lived in Australia until I was seven, but I have no idea what I would do and I haven't thought about it.

''I'm just hoping this year will be a good year for me, playing any international rugby would be an awesome honour.

''But first and foremost I've got to prove myself here and that's what I'm gunning for.''

The Brumbies will use the former New Zealand under-21s representative as a workhorse around the field and hope he adds grunt and mongrel. Power's progress with the Brumbies was halted when he arrived after suffering a grade-three medial ligament tear before moving to Canberra. He was also hindered by Achilles problems, but returned from the Christmas break 100 per cent fit and ready to charge towards the Brumbies' lock spot.

Power, Ben Hand, Sam Carter and versatile Peter Kimlin will fight to be White's first-choice second-rowers.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Straws...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast