Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: James O'Connor's choice based on football

vCash

Post James O'Connor's choice based on football

AUSTRALIAN rugby's most sought-after player, James O'Connor, intends making a decision on his future this week and when he does he'll base it on what is best for his game.

"I haven't made a decision yet, but it'll be a footy decision," O'Connor told The Australian yesterday.

The 20-year-old 27-Test Wallaby is at the centre of a four-way tug-of-war involving his existing club, the Western Force, and the three franchises who have all made attractive offers for him, the Queensland Reds, ACT Brumbies and Melbourne Rebels.

So distracting was the whole process becoming that O'Connor agreed with Force coach Richard Graham to postpone any decision until the week of the bye for the Perth franchise which has now arrived following the heartbreaking loss to the Waratahs in Sydney on Saturday night.

O'Connor remained in Sydney yesterday for a photo shoot with Qantas, the Wallabies' major sponsor, but will return to Perth today.

"This is the time frame I wanted to look at, this week," he said. "Until now I just wanted to focus on football. But now I will just go through everything and see who is going to be best for me."

Each contender has its tugging points.

The Rebels, who have been pursuing him the longest and most aggressively, offer him the chance to be coached by 1999 World Cup winning coach Rod Macqueen and to play in a fast-maturing side alongside their one confirmed star signing for next season, Test fullback Kurtley Beale.

The Brumbies, too, are offering up a World Cup-winning coach in South Africa's Jake White, who has made a point of phoning O'Connor on several occasions.

And with Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper and almost certainly Rocky Elsom leaving Canberra at the end of what has turned into a disastrous Super Rugby season, O'Connor would instantly step into the role of senior player in Australia's most successful franchise.

The Reds have dangled the lure of a return to his native Queensland to play as a member of one of the most exciting teams in world rugby, running off his close friend Quade Cooper and coached by the man who surely will be the next Wallabies coach, Ewen McKenzie.

The Force doesn't have a superstar coach, with Richard Graham in his first year in charge of a team. Nor, with only three wins and a draw to show from 11 games, can it match the success of the Reds.

But it was the club that nurtured O'Connor and turned him into a Wallaby. And it will not hurt its case that it enjoys more third-party sponsorship and support than any other Australian Super rugby club.

Force chief executive Vern Reid hinted yesterday that the offer the club made to O'Connor 12 weeks ago may be enhanced this week, a further indication that the battle for his services has turned into an open tender.

Certainly the Force is well aware how vital it is for the club to retain him. "It's extremely important," said Reid.

"There is James' value to the team and then there is James' value to the franchise. What James does is complete our retention puzzle and puts a sparkle on it. We see him being fundamental to our successful development."

Graham believes the Brumbies could pose the greatest threat. "I have no doubt Jake White would want to make a statement and what better statement could a new coach make than capturing James O'Connor," Graham said.

But Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan is far less sanguine about recruiting O'Connor. "We don't sit here with any great confidence," Fagan said. "I never do with any player who is not with us. You always start off as an underdog with any starting player for another franchise."

Macqueen and McKenzie both were content simply to wait on O'Connor to make up his mind. "He's going to make a decision and that's where we are," said Macqueen.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226052836309

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    "There is James' value to the team and then there is James' value to the franchise. What James does is complete our retention puzzle and puts a sparkle on it. We see him being fundamental to our successful development."
    There's one nail in the coffin ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I spoke to someone close to the players yesterday, and apparently the story is James really wants to stay at the Force, but he had been offered 20% LESS than what he's on now by RugbyWA..and that is what the hold up is....???

Last edited by hertryk; 12-05-11 at 08:26.

vCash
    Wow ...if thats the case then kiss his ass goodbye... But im doubtful... 20% is a big cut for arguably the ARU's hottest property
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    At least his not choosing his girl friend first, unlike one ACC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Whatever happened to unnamed sauces?
    he joined the Navy Seals...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Whatever happened to unnamed sauces?
    He got named by Julian Assange.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

AAP Reds firming to snare O'Connor

"The Queensland Reds are firming as slight favourites to snare James O'Connor from the Western Force in what would be the province's biggest signing since Wendell Sailor crossed codes in 2001.

O'Connor is expected to make his decision in the next two days and it appears the Reds' Super Rugby rise, attractive brand of football and talented backline may win over the Wallabies young gun.

The Force are pulling out all stops to keep the utility back, while he has previously been linked with a switch to the Melbourne Rebels."

cont'd http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...snare-oconnor/

So pulling out all stops is 20% less??

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    "The Queensland Reds are firming as slight favourites to snare James O'Connor from the Western Force in what would be the province's biggest signing since Wendell Sailor crossed codes in 2001.

O'Connor is expected to make his decision in the next two days and it appears the Reds' Super Rugby rise, attractive brand of football and talented backline may win over the Wallabies young gun.

The Force are pulling out all stops to keep the utility back, while he has previously been linked with a switch to the Melbourne Rebels."

cont'd http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...snare-oconnor/

So pulling out all stops is 20% less??

Thank for the update.... but i think its is the worst keep secret....for Aust rugby best thing that could happen keep him here in Aust.anyway....

Senior Player
    vCash
    I can't really see the attraction of playing alongside Genia and Cooper - well, Genia maybe, but with Cooper, will too many cooks spoil the broth? And Cooper's gonna bugger off to league soon anyway.....

vCash
    How does qru afford joc with pending salary cap?they cried poor b4 with talk of dropping van humphries and houston.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I spoke to someone close to the players yesterday, and apparently the story is James really wants to stay at the Force, but he had been offered 20% LESS than what he's on now by RugbyWA..and that is what the hold up is....???
    Thks coach....

vCash
    I am confused, if the franchises are limited as to what they can pay, and the bulk of the funds come from the ARU top up, how can we offer 20% less, is it 20% off 110,000 then I am sure us supporters would be willing to cough in the difference, if it is third party deals how canm the rEds who are almost broke be coming up with as much as us if not more???

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    latest rumour is that he is going to sign a 2 year deal with the Reds

unfortunately my informant has been on the money in the past(esp with the QC saga)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    if it is third party deals how canm the rEds who are almost broke be coming up with as much as us if not more???
    I guess because third party deals are nothing to do with the Reds finances. If the whisperings are correct it is the WA third parties who are wanting to cut JOC's deal(s). In theory RugbyWA can't do anything about that. No doubt he's already on the maximum they can give him. If no other third party's come forward to help keep JOC here then he's likely already gone.

If he is, go get Anthony Faainga. Use any left over cash to make a play for his li'l brother and maintain our all Wallaby backrow quads into the future.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast