Thread: Force's Stannard happy to be Mr Fix-It

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Force's Stannard happy to be Mr Fix-It

Western Force halfback James Stannard isn't ready to ditch his No.9 jersey just yet, saying last week's stunning Super Rugby performance at five-eighth hasn't convinced him to switch roles permanently.

Stannard starred at No. 10, with his deft passing and clever snipes helping to set up two of the team's three tries in a heartbreaking 34-28 loss to the Hurricanes.

With James O'Connor and Willie Ripia still sidelined through injury, Stannard will again don the No.10 jersey when the Force try to notch just their fourth win of the season in Friday night's clash with the Highlanders in Dunedin.

Advertisement: Story continues below But 28-year-old Stannard, who won a Commonwealth Games silver medal with Australia's Sevens side last year, believed scrumhalf remained his best position in the long run.

"I guess I'm just happy to play anywhere in the team," said Stannard, who was contracted with the Force for next season.

"It just so happened there were a couple of injuries and I played 10.

"But for the time being, nine is the best spot for me.

"It just depends on what Richard and the coaching staff want.

"I like both roles.

"Last week, I just took a really simple game plan in. I just made it as simple as possible. That was the key."

The eighth-placed Highlanders will be fighting to keep their season alive, after last week's 26-22 home loss to the lowly Lions put a major dent in their finals aspirations.

No Australian side has won in New Zealand this season in eight attempts, but the Force fancy their chances of breaking that duck.

"Obviously, the Highlanders are there to get into the finals. They've had a great year," Stannard said.

"But I think we're a good chance to knock them off, especially after they had a loss to the Lions on the weekend."

Meanwhile, Force utility back Pat Dellit hopes his Super Rugby dream will continue for years to come, saying the life of a professional rugby player is far better than his former hole-digging gig.

Before the Force came knocking last year, Dellit was working as a part-time labourer, while doing a teaching degree at university and playing for Eastern Suburbs in the NSW first grade competition.

The 24-year-old had filled a variety of roles for the Force this year, and hoped he could stay at the elite level for a while longer yet.

"No more carrying bricks and digging holes and stuff like that. It's definitely a nice change and I'd love to do it as long as I can," Dellit said.

"I wasn't sure if I would ever get a shot (at Super Rugby) but, when you do get the opportunity, you have to grab it with both hands.

"Coming in at a mature age, you're probably less likely to get a second chance - they expect you to be ready to play.

"The speed and physicality is one thing you definitely notice. But at the end of the day, it's still rugby.

"If you're smart about it, you can adapt to the level."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash

From the archives -

pruc
    Champion
    21/06/2007
    "chucky.
    Last night some of you may or may not know but there was one 'West Australian' out there. and that was #23 James Stannard. He replaced Sheps with about 7minutes to go. with a cheer from the grass hill where most of the pally boys were chucky ran onto the ground and took his position at fullback. he had a couple of good runs, but then he nearly had a try against him with a chip kick and he charged and the ball nearly going over but some nice backing up saved his ass.

well i think if we do get some injuries to our stars. he is the first guy they will call with his versatility playing from 9 to 15. but give him one or two years and his name might become a house hold name"
    I think it's finally happened

vCash
    And, just out of interest, is there a story behind the nickname Chucky?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep, but probably not what you think. See here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=10752

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Thanks for that, and you were right, it wasn't what I was thinking.

I thought maybe he was in love or something....

[YOUTUBE]lg1Ibt4xP7g[/YOUTUBE]

Senior Player
    vCash
    Go Chucky!

Go Pally!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yep, but probably not what you think. See here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=10752
    Back in the days when tif was our roving reporter!......