From the dark clouds of an injury hit backline James Stannard’s move to flyhalf is a silver lining the Emirates Western Force can happily look back on.

Stannard has injected a new zest into the clubs attack and produced two inspired performances in the playmaker position since being moved to 10 during the club’s two match tour of New Zealand.

While there was never any doubt about the 28 year olds ability to break lines, something he had proven time and again in Sevens, the way he has so brilliantly adapted from his regular halfback position has been something to behold.

“You don’t get as much room as you do in Sevens, you can get belted a bit out there, but I’m enjoying the challenge and the support I’m getting from the boys around me has been outstanding,” Stannard said.

“The forwards are really good and work together to give the platform for the backs to attack.”

Stannard has played the majority of the season off the bench as back-up to inform halfback Brett Sheehan but his call-up to 10 in the absence of injured regulars Willie Ripia and James O’Connor has been an inspired choice.

"I don't really prefer halfback or 10 to be honest,” Stannard said.

“I know it’s a cliché but I’ll just play wherever the coach says.

“The thing I have enjoyed the most about the last couple of weeks has been getting the chance to run around on the field from the opening whistle and have more of an influence on the game.”

Where the nippy Stannard will line-up this weekend in a massive Australian derby against the Reds in Perth on Saturday night is yet unknown, however there is little doubt he’d relish the opportunity to match-up against the Reds star pivot Quade Cooper.

“We’ll just have to see who is ready to return from injury and what the coaching staff want before I think too much about match-ups and that sort of thing,” Stannard said.

“The one thing for sure is that it’ll be a big game against the Reds. When you come up against other teams from Australia there is always a lot of passion and pride on the line.

"The last time we played the Reds we were beaten by a point right at the end and that is something we want to turn around on our home ground.”

The Emirates Western Force will go into the clash with confidence following an excellent come from behind win against the Highlanders in Dunedin. The visitors added 18 points after the half time break to win by seven in what was a remarkable turn of events following a disappointing opening 40 minutes.

“We needed to just start playing the way we wanted to play and stop them dictating the tempo,” said Stannard.

“We had nothing to lose and gave it our all and it proved to be a really great result.”

“It was a good tour in terms of our performances and we will be looking to step it up again when we take on the Reds this weekend.”

RugbyWA