Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Western Force vs Hurricanes: Match Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Batto View Post
    robbed at the end by the inexperience of the Ref, surely that was a scrum our ball !!!
    As it was called by the ref.....it was the 83rd minute after all. I thought it was tackler not releasing as he was calling all night, which would have given us the opportunity to tap and go, but maybe he ruled ball off the ground-maul.......actually that would mean they get the feed so he can't have called it that way.

It doesn't matter, I was much more impressed that I thought I'd be. The entire pack played most of the game as needed, which was extremely heartening, but the backs out performed my expectations by powers of ten! Swanny and Chucky were amazing, I'd actually be putting the same backline in again unless rabbit is fit, he'd go to 12 and not kick.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Bitter sweet result, especially taking Rex's lead with a punt But what an edge of the seat game eh and how was the NZ Sky Sports team's commentary changing from "an expected old firm try (Smith/Nonu)" to "the Force has the Canes on the ropes" The Canes looked cocky early on, like they just had to show up - our boys whipped that off their faces. Most proud I've felt of the boys all season.

Chucky carving up my Roo Dogs a few weeks ago was the precursor to tonight so maybe Wannaroo should in some way feel proud to have helped with his performance He was a breath of fresh air, had the Canes guessing all night and was exciting to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    let us stop spending heaps on overpriced players and use that money to develop and retrain our own
    I agree. Ive been calling for Stannard to be given the oppurtunity to play 10 for a while now. At halfback it just seemed his first instinct was running and sniping rather then passing. Loved the way he got the backline involved. Never seen Dellit with ball in hand in attack as much as tonight. EWF better not stuff it up like the way they handled Hilgendorf.Stannards a keeper.Will be great to see him team up with Justin Turner to lay claim a starting halves duo being the product of WA club rugby.
    Swanepoel did all that was asked of him and more. We'll lose him if he continues to sit behind Sheehan, Stannard and Turner in the pecking order.

Obviously part of the problem with our attack has been Willie and coaches strategy but imo some of it lies in JOC's demanding of the ball and suttle hints on twitter and not so suttle demands on the pitch when he doesnt see enough of it. It becomes the JOC side show and we tend to sometimes just look for him and give him the ball even if the situation isnt right for it....its like keep the kid happy or else he'll leave.

Im not really phased about the result. Just happy that when we finally utilize under utilized guys we're discovering some keepers .......it never should have got to this stage of the season to come to that realization....my 2 cents worth.

vCash
    Can't wait to see the Stannard/O'Connor duo. With Dellit following them around the park to be put through gaps.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Not many packs bully the 'Canes on their own dung heap. Our boys dominated the tackle contest. Our scrum shoved them around most of the night. The defence was dominant. The 'canes were soft by comparison. AAA+ from the Force 8. The pick and go was great and Sharpe terrorised them with a dominant display of running. Having a 10 that skillfully put his runners in space with changes of direction, deft passes and inside balls made a big difference to the telegraphed one out running though

I was surprised Whitaker didn't get on. We obviously ran out of legs. Perhaps he was carrying a niggle.

Controversy corner

vCash
    All the positives have been mentioned. Chukka performed well - as expected, as did Swanopoel.

Anyone else coming around to my conviction that Shep has the passing game to give us more as a playmaker. I've been frustrated he hasn't been tried as a 10 before. After some of his plays last night I'm, if anything, more convinced he could give us more playmaking from 15 with JOC at 12 or maybe those two swapping between those roles with Stannard at 10.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Right....

The scrum was really good, but it was the rolling maul that brought a tear - where the hell has that been all year!!!?
    Tight five were well impressive, back row seemed a little quiet but that was probably because they were focusing on their main job of securing the ball. Not as apparent, but great to see them keeping their eye on their first priority.

Swanepoel did really well. Got caught a few time early and had to step up the pace, but adjusted well. Most of the passing looked nice, crisp and run onto-able, but what I really liked was the way he bossed his forwards around doing stuff like pulling them out of the maul if it started to lose shape. He obviously needs game time to boost his speed/fitness, but I reckon he might even have another gear. A bit more confidence and he might even have a couple of snipes himself.

I thought Stannard was very good, but far more important was that he was being offered options both sides by players moving forward. First, second and third lessons for the Force out of that game MUST be that everyone is responsible for making the play, not just your "star". We didn't learn the lesson with Giteau, we've fallen into the same trap with JO'C, and unless they can wrap their head around the concept it might be a blessing in disguise if we didn't have a star in the back line, at least until they develop a culture of playing as a team. First and foremost though, and contrary to all the received wisdom, we do not "need" JO'C to stay. We would really like him to, but there would probably have been a lot less question over the issue if the backline had been playing like that around him this year. We'd've won a damn sight more games too; hope to God the penny has dropped.

All up though, we didn't deserve to win that match. We absolutely earned and deserved the opportunity to win it, but I got the impression that as usual the mindset drifted to the defensive in the last 10 minutes, epitomised by the team leading by 1 with 6 minutes to go, being on our own 10, and thinking it was a good idea to kick the damn ball, turn over possession and give away the try, lead and game. It is those little moments at the death that cost us and will do so until we learn to value ball and possession double in the last 10 minutes.

All up though a game I genuinely enjoyed, and apologies to the pub security that felt the need to check on the racket a few times.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shep had a great game. I love those long passes of his.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    That's a bit harsh on Swanepoel. He delivered quick ball most of the night. In the last few phases no-one wanted to make a mistake (including Swanepoel) and few options were offered to him in terms of runners.
    Yes I agree, I watched it again, sober this time.

Drunken ramblings my first post was. The kid was good, I take it all back.

vCash
    The kid has the goods. He looks pretty tough too. There is a touch of the greatest halfback ever ( Joost VWH) about him as well.

You could only be impressed by his effort. You'd think he had played every week the way he stepped into the role

Cull the dead wood and back the hunger

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Right....

The scrum was really good, but it was the rolling maul that brought a tear - where the hell has that been all year!!!?
    Amen...preach it pastor!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Tight five were well impressive, back row seemed a little quiet but that was probably because they were focusing on their main job of securing the ball. Not as apparent, but great to see them keeping their eye on their first priority.
    I reckon it had something to do with the way the ref wanted the breakdown played, he seemed to be stuck in last year, not wanting any pilfers at all. He spent much of the night telling the backrows to get their hands off the ball.

Did anybody successfully pilfer the ball at the tackle? Either side?

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Did anybody successfully pilfer the ball at the tackle? Either side?
    Pocock did it thrice. On the third occasion, Glen 'Hurricane' Jackson pinged Smith for coming in on the side, so the Canes were given the penalty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2