Thread: Joost van der Westhuizen given 3 years to live

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Joost van der Westhuizen given 3 years to live

In motor neurone disease, Springbok legend faces toughest opponent
    Jamie Pandaram
    May 24, 2011

"My faith is strong" ... Joost van der Westhuizen, who has been diagnosed with motor neurone disease. Photo: AP
    But Joost van der Westhuizen has vowed to fight on, writes Jamie Pandaram in Durban.

After being told by his doctor he had three years to live, Springboks legend Joost van der Westhuizen's first response was to check his insurance policies to ensure his children would be looked after.

The World Cup-winning halfback is devastated after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease, but has vowed not to give up fighting his ''death sentence''.

''I'm fighting this illness with my faith. And my faith is strong,'' van der Westhuizen told South African newspaper Rapport. The former national captain learnt a month ago of the illness. ''The first thing I did was to check if my policies are in order for my kids,'' van der Westhuizen said.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    He is hoping for some positive news after he visits a second neurologist, but right now all he has are the words of the doctor who gave him the terrifying verdict.

''The wind has been knocked out of my sails,'' he said. ''I stared at the doctor in disbelief. I might only have three years left.''

Van der Westhuizen noticed something was wrong last December when his arm became less mobile and his speech began to slur.

''I struggled to move my hand, but I just left it,'' he said. ''It's typical; I thought it was an old sports injury. But, as time passed my speech became impaired. When I spoke to people, they would say: 'Joost, are you drunk?'

''Later on, when I took the kids to Sun City for three days, it happened again. The kids and I and old Kellies [his doctor and friend, Dr Henry Kelbrick] played in the pool with a ball.

''Then Kellies and I started to wrestle. That's when he realised there's something wrong with my arm.

''The next day we started to talk. I asked him: 'Can you hear that my speech is becoming more and more impaired?' He immediately sent me to a neurologist and then they took X-rays.

''After he [Kelbrick] told me I have motor neurone disease, he said that doctors didn't know how to treat it. I became a blank. I hardly remember anything from that day … It's my nervous system disintegrating.''

Van der Westhuizen shares the record as the greatest tryscorer for South Africa at 38 with wing Bryan Habana and captained the 1999 World Cup team. He retired after playing in the 2003 tournament.

A defining moment of his career was a try-saving tackle on a rampaging Jonah Lomu during the 1995 World Cup final, which the Springboks won, sparking joyous celebrations in a Nelson Mandela-inspired South Africa. He was admired for his courageous style, making a habit of bringing down opponents twice his size. Now he faces his toughest challenge of all. ''But, I will fight this thing. Even if it's the last thing I do.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1NJPHW5zB

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    A most terrible disease. Would not wish it upon anyone. Our prayers and thoughts with Joost.

vCash
    There are different variants of the disease so hopefully the second doctor gives him better news. He was an absolute champion in his playing days and I enjoyed watching him as a teenager, both in Springbok colours and for Northern Transvaal in the early years of the Super 12.

vCash
    Jooste is/was my wifes get out clause.. she was devestated to hear this news...
    im not so upset

in all seriousness though really terrible diagnosis and i wouldnt wish it on anyone.
    my thoughts go out to him and his family.

vCash
    He was admired for his courageous style, making a habit of bringing down opponents twice his size.
    At over 6ft, not many twice his size.

Sad news. Best scrum halves of his time..yes, happy to take objections though I suspect there will be few if any..and, as a scummie myself, a player I watched intently and tried to emulate.

He's got my best wishes.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    There are different variants of the disease so hopefully the second doctor gives him better news.
    Bulbar Palsy - where the throat, larynx and neck muscles are all affected is the worst variant. Hearing he is slurring his words is not good. Stephen Hawkins has another variant that is less invasive but still a most horrible disease.