Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby falls behind NRL in code war

vCash

Rugby falls behind NRL in code war

(Similar story to the other Waratah stuff- but I reckon this is worthy of it's own thread - n )

Rugby falls behind NRL in code war

Rebecca Wilson From: The Daily Telegraph May 21, 2011 12:00AM
    The Daily Telegraph

THE worlds of rugby union and rugby league are poles apart in NSW. To those living in southern states, they are all just called "rugby".

But in and around Sydney, the world's toughest football market, New South Welshmen are born to one or the other and never the twain shall meet.

This week, though, proved one thing once and for all. The culture of both codes in NSW is on its knees and only one code is trying to stop the bleeding.

Rugby union has been haemorrhaging in NSW for five years.

The last two years have seen the alleged home of the code in Australia deteriorate to a point that the team which used to proudly don the waratah has so few genuine fans left that you feel like it may even shut up shop.

The situation is so bad for the Super XV franchise that the local rugby union conducted a fans forum one night through the week. In a feeble attempt to close the widening gap between loyal fans and the team, several big name players and the coach attended.

They were blown away by the level of angst in fan ranks. This is one of the most hated teams in the world and that is by its own followers.

The complaints ranged from the Waratahs' turgid style of rugby through to the dislocation of club rugby from the elite form of the game.

These fans are the ones who bothered to turn up at the forum. The game has lost those fringe followers who enjoyed a night out at the footy followed up by a drink at one of the eastern suburbs' famous pubs after the game.

They realised several seasons ago that the Waratahs matches were not exactly a hub of enjoyment.

The Sydney Football Stadium is a sensational place to watch footy but it is as if a giant vacuum cleaner goes to the ground before the Waratahs play and sucks the life out of it.

The fans told the players and the bosses on Thursday night that they were "mediocre", and "arrogant". One fan who stopped going to games eight years ago was scathing: "We have been dished up mediocrity week after week and we're supposed to accept that. I feel sorry ... that culture is so entrenched in this particular team."

He is, of course, right. The joys of running rugby disappeared when former coach Ewen McKenzie was sent packing several seasons ago.

I attended a game last season with a group of friends who vowed they would never go to a rugby match with me ever again. It was truly terrible. McKenzie has turned up in Queensland where the wonderful Reds have been reborn under his tutelage. They play the game the way all great rugby should be played with exuberance and joy.

The mob in blue jerseys hide behind statistics and grinding wins to defend their style of play.

There is no sense of wanting to improve things. Running the ball happens about twice a game and more often than not, the forwards stop passing the ball in what appears to be a grudge against the backs.

The fan forum proved that the elite playing group believe they are in the right and everyone else is not.

They have a long way to go if they hope to stay afloat.

Contrast that attitude with that of new rugby league State of Origin coach, Ricky Stuart. One of the most competitive people I have ever met, Stuart has set about rebuilding and restoring the Blues league culture.

After five years of misery, the administrators finally decided to copy the Queensland approach to Origin football. Stuart has surrounded his new batch of Blues with Origin legends, league experts and diehard fans. He has encouraged jingoism and told his players that he has enormous faith in them, no matter what the result next Wednesday night.

With an investment of time in Stuart and his young bloods, NSWleague will rebuild and restore itself in the fans' psyche. It may take another three years but rest assured it will happen.

As for the rugby union lot, there is little chance of redemption. Fans are deserting the team in their droves. The disenchantment at suburban games is palpable and driving people away every week.

The Australian Rugby Union must take some responsibility for the mess. Rugby culture in NSW has been a resilient beast but it is buckling under the weight of so many years of rotten culture and poor administration.

When teenage boys who play the game turn down free tickets to games, you have a massive problem.

When sponsors cannot fill boxes or pre-match functions, a funding crisis cannot be far away.

The first way out of a mess is to admit you are in the middle of one. League has done that. Union hasn't and shows no sign of facing its demons anytime soon

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1226059830499

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I've seen Rebecca Wilson on offsiders on the ABC. She is a bad advertisement for female sports journalists.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    after reading this article i finished feeling a little perplexed by it all..

Yes the overall point is correct, Rugby in NSW is in bad health, but her article offers nothing which hasn't already been raised by another journalist nor does it offer anything in terms of statistics of figures to support the argument.

vCash
    Plenty of disappointing crowds to minileague
    They haven't raped anybody for a couple of weeks so apparently the code is in good shape

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've seen Rebecca Wilson on offsiders on the ABC. She is a bad advertisement for female sports journalists.
    Yeah she's never been one to let her lack of knowledge of the game prevent her from writing editorials on it.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Her open letter to Lara Bingle did it for me, Who are you to tell someone how to live their lives?

vCash
    Who are you to read that sh1t?

Controversy corner

vCash
    Bourbon Bec strikes again

vCash
    Rebecca Wilson death riding Rugby, eh. What a surprise. You've gotta be something special to get to the bottom of the Daily Telegraph barrel. She's done it effortlessly.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    She clearly can't master the blow job. She'll never climb the ranks

Controversy corner

vCash
    She writes what her hubby who works for News ltd tells her to write
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Who are you to read that sh1t?
    Just bored, nothing else to do.

vCash
    Didn't the Reds go through this phase only a couple of years ago?

vCash
    Difference would be the Reds crowds were staying away that's because they were garbage on the field.

Reds started winning and the crowds came back

Tahs are winning but are boring as batshit to watch

Does anyone know what the crowd figure for the Tahs vs Lions game was? Watching on TV it looked like bugger all people were there

Did some digging and aswered my own question

Last edited by jargan83; 24-05-11 at 09:26.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    She writes what her hubby who works for News ltd tells her to write
    That would be News Ltd CEO John Hartigan, who had absolutely no knowledge of what Brian Waldron and all those devious Storm bastards were up to? Despite them being wholly owned by News LTD??

Nothing suss there.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast