Thread: Force Squad Named for Brumbies Clash

vCash

Force Squad Named for Brumbies Clash

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has kept changes to a minimum for Saturday night’s clash against the Brumbies with Ben McCalman and Rory Sidey the only alterations to the run-on side that last stepped out a fortnight ago.

McCalman will start at Number 8 after playing his part from the bench against the Waratahs prior to the bye weekend while fellow loose forward Richard Brown will spend a week on the sidelines after being restricted to light duties with a few minor niggles.

Fullback Cameron Shepherd wasn’t considered as he continues to recover from a knee complaint but both he and Brown are expected to be available for the club’s two match tour to New Zealand.

Other moves will see Sidey takes the outside centre position in place of Mitch Inman while on the bench West Australian prop Kieran Longbottom, experienced back Gene Fairbanks and tough flanker Jono Jenkins return.

While some sides have struggled to find their best form following a bye, Graham is confident his side won’t suffer any lag effects and has been impressed with the enthusiasm at training this week.

“I looked at the squad when they came back on Monday after the bye and boys were in fantastic spirits,” Graham said.

“The bye has been scheduled there for a long while so we’ve had the time to plan around it. Certainly we’ve seen examples where teams coming off the bye don’t perform as well as expected however I’m confident we have taken the right steps to ensure that isn’t a factor for us this weekend.”

The Emirates Western Force produced a hard fought 27-19 win against the Brumbies in their last encounter just over a month ago in Canberra and will be hoping to repeat the dose on home soil.

In the last three outings between the teams it has been the ‘away’ side who has taken the points, however the West Australian’s have won three of the last four against the Brumbies.

While prepared for a fired up ACT outfit following Coach Tony Rea’s public roasting of his players, Graham said it hadn’t been something they’d specifically addressed this week.

“I think any time that the coach comes out publicly and gives a spray like that there’ll be a reaction but to be honest since coming back from the bye this week all we’ve focused on is ourselves and our performance,” Graham said.

2011 Super Rugby – Week 14
    Emirates Western Force v Brumbies
    Saturday, 21 May 2011 at nib Stadium
    Kick-off: 8.05pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Matt Dunning
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain)
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Willie Ripia
    11. David Smith
    12. James O'Connor
    13. Rory Sidey
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Patrick Dellit

Reserves

16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Jono Jenkins
    20. James Stannard
    21. Gene Fairbanks
    22. Alfie Mafi

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 19-05-11 at 14:25. Reason: Updated

vCash
    Pretty close to a full line-up, isn't it? Is Shep's injury the only change from a 1st choice XV? (Would we play Fairbrother seeing as he's off to France come July?)

Longbottom/Dunning is dependent on the opposition (and for the Brumbies I'd pick Dunning) and Charles/Whittaker are pretty even choices at hooker.

A bit surprised Shep's expected to tour NZ though - arthroscopic knee surgery isn't the easiest thing for a winger to recover from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Pretty close to a full line-up, isn't it? Is Shep's injury the only change from a 1st choice XV? (Would we play Fairbrother seeing as he's off to France come July?)

Longbottom/Dunning is dependent on the opposition (and for the Brumbies I'd pick Dunning) and Charles/Whittaker are pretty even choices at hooker.

A bit surprised Shep's expected to tour NZ though - arthroscopic knee surgery isn't the easiest thing for a winger to recover from.
    I watched training on Tuesday - Fairbrother and Mark Bart were sitting having a chat, didn't train. Brownie was in his gear but didn't train either. Cam did light training away from the main group. Sheehan needed a little medical attention.
    As a squad they were looking good, scoring lots of tries, now let's see that on Saturday.

vCash
    Chapman joins Huia Edmonds, Salesi Ma'afu and Ita Vaea in the casualty ward after last weekend's loss to the Johannesburg Lions...

Brumbies Probable team: 1. Jono Owen, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Ben Alexander, 4. Ben Hand, 5. Mark Chisholm, 6. Rocky Elsom, 7. Colby Faingaa, 8. Julian Salvi, 9. Josh Valentine, 10. Matt Giteau, 11. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Christian Lealiifano, 13. Tyrone Smith, 14. Henry Speight, 15. Pat McCabe.

Reserves: 16. Anthony Hegarty, 17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 18. Peter Kimlin, 19. Michael Hooper, 20. Patrick Phibbs, 21. Robbie Coleman, 22. Andrew Smith.

vCash
    Anyone know why Mafi has not been in the starting team ? I thought he did really well at the start of the season.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    I watched training on Tuesday - Fairbrother and Mark Bart were sitting having a chat, didn't train. Brownie was in his gear but didn't train either. Cam did light training away from the main group. Sheehan needed a little medical attention.
    As a squad they were looking good, scoring lots of tries, now let's see that on Saturday.
    Attending the captain's Run tomorrow..I will keep an eye out who trains and trains well..

Senior Player
    vCash
    Hmmm, what sort of minor niggles would keep Brownie from playing, even as a sub?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Anyone know why Mafi has not been in the starting team ? I thought he did really well at the start of the season.....
    ive been wondering the same thing. i would be thinking of using mafi/cummins at 13 this week, with the other on the wing.

vCash
    agreed
    His attacking rugby has counted against him

The scene is active

vCash
    I'd think it would be the surprise packets of Sidey and Dellit, who have both performed unexpectedly well.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Hmmm, what sort of minor niggles would keep Brownie from playing, even as a sub?
    Brownie walked into training this morning, and then wasn't seen again for the whole of the Training Session...RG said he has a few "niggles" so won't be playing!!!

Nick Cummins trained well, and did a few "Hollywood" slides between the sticks for the audience...

JOC's kicking was really off...so hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow...Bam Looked amazing...(as always )..Sharpie was revving the troops right through the session...

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Brown is obviously on Cottesloe duty this week. Their Force numbers have been running low of late.

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good for Jono to get some more match time, he may nearly have 80 minutes worth by now...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.