Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Game Concept a Reality

vCash

Hybrid Game Concept a Reality

The article states that Mark Ella, Bob Dwyer and Bob Fulton designed the laws/rules for this game. The concept was first proposed by Wayne Bennett and Alec Evans as a way to pool junior development resources. I'm onside with that concept. These blokes seem more intent on using it as a vehicle to promote a Wallabies-v-Kangaroos blockbuster. Pretty cool on that one - ATM.

The article is short on detail of how the match will actually work and says each side will have 60 seconds to score or kick. Imagine what a clusterf@ck a bunch of 17yo's would make of that.

As I understood from an interview with Mark Ella it will actually be: 13 a side. 6 tackles from start of play/kick with PTB in the defending team's half. Then kick or turnover if the half way line not reached. If crossed then 6 ruck/mauls in attacking half. Turnover if not kicked/no score. Scrums to be 6 man with RU scrummage laws to apply. Not stated but I'd assume lineout to restart from a kick to touch.

Greats conceive rugby hybrid concept

It's long been mooted the Kangaroos and Wallabies should meet on a football field in a battle of the rival rugby codes.

Many have tried to push the idea but now a movement conceived by some of the most respected minds in both rugby league and rugby union is pushing to make the idea a reality.

Former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer and player Mark Ella have come together with league great Bob Fulton to create the "Hybrid Code" - a 13-a-side game mixing elements of league and union.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8244364

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    sounds like an abomination dreamed up by has beens* trying desperately to remain relevant ...

(*say's the 'never was')

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    sounds like an abomination dreamed up by has beens* trying desperately to remain relevant ...

(*say's the 'never was')
    I'll leave your view of Ella/Fulton/Dwyer. But I wouldn't call Alec Evans or Wayne Bennett has beens - in the coaching/development area at least. That's where the concept has merit. IMO.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...503-1e6pc.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Wayne Bennett will be a has been next year

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So the only concession to Union is a second set of six if the team makes halfway and (supposedly) contested scrums? 13 men and no contest for the ball on the ground it is just League, any way you cut it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    So the only concession to Union is a second set of six if the team makes halfway and (supposedly) contested scrums? 13 men and no contest for the ball on the ground it is just League, any way you cut it.
    No, as I understood it the attacking "set of six" are ruck/maul as per Rugby Laws. The RL set of six would encourage running the ball from your "red zone".

Lineout to restart from touch, ruck/maul to apply in attacking half, rugby scrum laws. A one eyed Mungo could argue that the only concession to RL is the defensive set of six and 13 men.

The possible area of benefit I see is in junior development. Modified rules apply in both codes already. What's wrong with a few more tweaks to allow pooling of resources? It won't happen anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Wayne Bennett will be a has been next year
    His team will beat him to the punch by September.

vCash
    League is already a hybrid of union
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    His team will beat him to the punch by September.
    Back to Back, I'm as relaxed as Brain Smith

I just hope your ready to part with another carton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    [I]

It's long been mooted the Kangaroos and Wallabies should meet on a football field in a battle of the rival rugby codes.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8244364
    That will never happen in a million years. Most of the top players are strongly advised (forbidden) from doing anything that could possibly injure them outside of rugby. I think Dan Carter was told off for going snow-boarding. So I'd say there would be little chance of a League vs Union match ever happening. I seem to remember Bath played Wigan a few years ago in a league & union game. It was 1 - 1.

vCash
    Very predictable so far - no discussion of the merits/downsides of the actual event. Neither of the concept's value for junior development or the economies of scale it might produce for both codes. The people proposing this probably have more valuable motives than the automatic knockers, I'd wager. Given that they have played/coached/administered at the highest levels of the sports involved, they'll likely be listened to by more people with clout as well.

Jono, check the definition of hybrid.

That will never happen in a million years.
    I sure wouldn't put my house on that. But, like I said, it won't happen any time soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    League is already a hybrid of union
    Posted via Mobile Device
    League is an adaptation or modification of rugby; A hybrid game is like that farcical Gaelic football/Aussie rules amalgam played from time to time under the guise of International Rules.

vCash
    That was easy 2fer
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    There will be a live online stream of a schools hybrid game on Wednesday evening so we can form our own educated opinions on this abomination

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/fo...-1226052632247

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not a fan, but as to the merits etc, I'm not sure either code would want to concede their own development pathway for the potential fillup of a rival code.
    Personally I will be happy when RL finally (one day) withers on the vine, it barely has more relevance on the International stage than AFL and severly limits our Union player pool.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast