Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rugby Fans the Worst at Subiaco

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elemental
    On another note... Perhaps people wouldn't binge drink before the game if it wasn't so hard to get a drink at the game.
    I coudn't agree more and I know I may have metioned it in a thread before but whilst in NZ watching S14 when you go to the bar and they ask how many you want and you answer two, you get two six packs of full strength beer (well Speights anyway), not two cans or plastic cups! You get one each (6 pack) go to your seat and enjoy the match. not a drunken rowdy supporter to be seen. (considering they are mostly students down there in Dunedin it is a good example I think). Now that's what I call that the responsible service of alcohol.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I was sitting near a guy at one game and he was screaming and swearing at everyone on the ground. Drinking heaps too! At the end of the game, he had a chuck and then left. Never saw a cop or steward the whole time.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, my dad used to carry on like that too ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    This bloke was pretty big.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bluey
    Its interesting that they highlight Force games. I have been to a lot of rugby games at Subiaco in the past few years, including the world cup, and have yet to see any problems. I would think that an international between the Wallabies and Springboks would be more of a crowd problem than a Super 14 game, but I don't recall reading anything in the papers about crowd problems.
    The group that sit behind us are from South Africa and are very loud in their support but the main reason they go to games is to enjoy themselves and watch good rugby. The same can probably be said for 99.9% of all fans, wether it be a force game or an international.
    I have been to every game of rugby ever played at Subiaco. I have never witnessed any antisocial behaviour. Generally, any rivalry is in the form of good natured banter. The closest I have been to being offended was at the Crusaders game. My wife and I sit at the back of a section which has corporate seating behind. A group of about 30 Crusaders fans, who had come from N.Z., was immediately behing us. When their team looked like loosing, their language became pretty ripe. No much good nature there. As for drunkenness, I have yet to see it.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot
    As for drunkenness, I have yet to see it.
    That's a shame Joblot.

Just happy to be here

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elemental

Where I sit, I have some lads who obviously have a few rums before the game... they get a bit rowdy but nothing serious or violent. They are just having a good time and vocally supporting their team. Good on em. But because they are making noise, we are always getting the coppers coming around to check up on them. Why? Because the police "think" rugby fans are rowdy when in fact we are probably one of the better behaved and respectful groups of supporters around.

On another note... Perhaps people wouldn't binge drink before the game if it wasn't so hard to get a drink at the game.
    I totally agree - nothing wrong with loud but good-natured support, the more vocal from the home fans the better (Murrayfield roar, anyone?! ).
    I'm personally not a fan of drinking at the match though - can't be bothered with the plastic 'glasses' for a start, and I'm there to watch rugby and soak up the atmosphere, not queue out the back for a beer.
    The games tend to be a bit earlier over here, though, so you might have a few before, but you've got a full night out afterwards to pace yourself for, so most people are not too tanked at the games. In town afterwards is a different matter of course...

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    And UGLY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2